China Warns US of "Forceful Measures" if Nancy Pelosi Visits Taiwan

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Taiwan is probably screwed in the long run. China just has too much pull economically....

Reactions: Finance85

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
Taiwan is probably screwed in the long run. China just has too much pull economically....

Yup. These military exercises aren't going to be the end of this, either. We won't see the results for another month or two.

desihawk

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2002
some news articles on google news are claiming (with no details however) that china is blockading taiwan. is this true or just innacurate wording?

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
some news articles on google news are claiming (with no details however) that china is blockading taiwan. is this true or just innacurate wording?
Would you send container ships or passenger aircraft to Taiwan right now?

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
both. if they are interfered with, there will be steps to take.
They aren't directly interfering. They don't have to. They are lobbing missiles all around. There's nothing anyone can do, or will do, about that.

hwk23

HR All-American
Nov 22, 2010
Maybe a blockade is China's plan to provoke a direct conflict (or just show strength in reponse to Pelosi's visit).

Last edited:

SoDakHawk

HR Legend
Sep 14, 2006
I can understand China not wanting Taiwan being a staging ground for another country as has happened to them in their history with Japan using the island as an "unsinkable battleship", but this guy contradicts himself. On one hand he says that countries have used it as a staging ground to attack China then the next thing he says is this is a war the USA cannot win. So which is it? Seems we could invade and defeat China by using it as a staging ground just like Japan did almost 100 years ago. Which is exactly why China is so concerned that no country be able to use Taiwan as a base of invasion.

I mean, we got kinda pissed about the Soviets putting missiles in Cuba giving them first strike capability, and rightfully so.

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
I can understand China not wanting Taiwan being a staging ground for another country as has happened to them in their history with Japan using the island as an "unsinkable battleship", but this guy contradicts himself. On one hand he says that countries have used it as a staging ground to attack China then the next thing he says is this is a war the USA cannot win. So which is it? Seems we could invade and defeat China by using it as a staging ground just like Japan did almost 100 years ago. Which is exactly why China is so concerned that no country be able to use Taiwan as a base of invasion.

I mean, we got kinda pissed about the Soviets putting missiles in Cuba giving them first strike capability, and rightfully so.
Pointing out the hypocrisy of US foreign policy is ‘whataboutism’.

That isn’t an answer or justification for the criticism, just a word invoked as a way to evade it.

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Pretty interesting panel talking about the Taiwan situation on CSPAN right now if interested. I love these CSPAN discussions 😂