ADVERTISEMENT

China Warns US of "Forceful Measures" if Nancy Pelosi Visits Taiwan

So, it’s all pelosi’s fault?
Nice strawman.

As Speaker Pelosi has overseen the origination of at least 1/3rd of our national debt.
No other Speaker can make that claim.

We have higher tax collections than at the end of Clinton’s term, yet Pelosi manages to spend a trillion more than that every year she is Speaker.
$392 billion spent on debt service just last year, but you’ll be dead soon, so who cares, right?

China ain't gonna do jack shit if Pelosi visits Tiawan... except to posture and angrly demonstrate with their impotent naval and air forces before a sternly worded editorial appears in the People's Daily denouncing her and The United States as running dogs that will pay dearly soon.

Last edited:
Nice strawman.

As Speaker Pelosi has overseen the origination of at least 1/3rd of our national debt.

We have higher tax collections than at the end of Clinton’s term, yet Pelosi manages to spend a trillion more than that every year she is Speaker.
$392 billion spent on debt service just last year, but you’ll be dead soon, so who cares, right?
How are you seriously blaming this on Pelosi?

JFC, Biden. Show some stones. Instead of backing off Nancy's trip announce that you, the POTUS, will be making a trip to Taiwan instead. WTF is China going to do about it? Go to war over a diplomatic trip? Doubtful. Economic sanctions against he USA? Ok, time to bring our manufacturing home or move it to another country. F China.

Joe, you just blinked.
Yep. And now China will claim some kind of “victory.” If Pelosi doesn’t go, Biden just declared to the world China is now the world’s leader, and he is scared of them.

How are you seriously blaming this on Pelosi?
By tradition, spending bills originate in the House.
Regardless, no spending measure goes through without the support of the Speaker.
Her tenure as debt accumulator is leagues beyond her peers.

The Gingrich Congress kept spending growth under the rate of economic growth, reducing deficits and allowing the economy to grow relative to the debt.

Pelosi’s Congress has consistently grown spending faster than the economy, to the point that we collect a higher percentage of GDP in taxes today than under Clinton, yet have exceeded trillion dollar deficits again and again (and throw in several more agains until you’ve covered her tenure).

Reactions: hwk23
By tradition, spending bills originate in the House.
Regardless, no spending measure goes through without the support of the Speaker.
Her tenure as debt accumulator is leagues beyond her peers.

The Gingrich Congress kept spending growth under the rate of economic growth, reducing deficits and allowing the economy to grow relative to the debt.

Pelosi’s Congress has consistently grown spending faster than the economy, to the point that we collect a higher percentage of GDP in taxes today than under Clinton, yet have exceeded trillion dollar deficits again and again (and throw in several more agains until you’ve covered her tenure).
Nothing needs to be approved by the Senate?

civic lesson :)

Who thinks that?
Why create a strawman?

Senate acquiescence doesn’t negate the requirement for spending to be approved by the House, which the Speaker controls.
The Speaker approves what the House votes on. Is all Covid on Pelosi? You are ridiculous.

She HAS to go now.....

China warned Tuesday it would take "resolute and forceful measures" if US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan, in what would be the highest-level delegation from the United States to the self-governing island in 25 years.
Pelosi, who is second in line of succession to the US presidency, has reportedly outlined plans to take a delegation to Taipei in August, according to the Financial Times, citing people familiar with the matter. Pelosi's office declined to comment on her travel plans.
August 1 is the anniversary of the founding of China's People's Liberation Army.
On Tuesday, China's Foreign Ministry lashed out at the potential visit, saying it would "have a severe negative impact on the political foundation of China-US relations, and send a gravely wrong signal to 'Taiwan independence' separatist forces."

Can’t we just send over the Kardashians to China? One Kardashian can wreck and NBA team, imagine what all of them with their powers combined could do to China!?

Correct, a bill can’t reach the floor for a vote without the Speaker’s approval.
Then it is voted on by members of the House, democrat and republican. Are you saying that Pelosi should never introduce bills to be voted on? Every bill that passes the House is on Pelosi? Are you going to speak to the Covid situation?

Then it is voted on by members of the House, democrat and republican. Are you saying that Pelosi should never introduce bills to be voted on? Every bill that passes the House is on Pelosi?
There in the last sentence you stumbled into the reality of the situation.

I’m sorry you didn’t understand how the House operates.
I do. That is not your argument. You are saying Pelosi is responsible for ALL debit introduced by her to the floor. No mention of those that need to approve it? Your stance is hilarious.

Can’t we just send over the Kardashians to China? One Kardashian can wreck and NBA team, imagine what all of them with their powers combined could do to China!?
I think one Kardashian and Meghan Markle could bring down the CCP inside of 3 months. Look at the work Markle put in on the Royal Family.

I do. That is not your argument. You are saying Pelosi is responsible for ALL debit introduced by her to the floor. No mention of those that need to approve it? Your stance is hilarious.
Yes, the Speaker is responsible for all the debt that passes the House.
It appears you’re confusing that with being the only one responsible for it.
Are you unclear on that distinction?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Why do you think she isn’t responsible for it?
Can you explain?
Yes. Introducing a bill to the floor for a vote and being 100 percent responsible for 435 others is an odd argument. I would never say that McConnell is responsible for all spending that was passed by the Senate. It is a very different take in my opinion.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Nice strawman.

What a bunch of misleading horsecrap.

A superpower doesn’t back down because another superpower says two sovereign countries can’t send representatives to visit each other.

That’s weakness.
Under the Taiwan Relation Act, does the U.S. recognize them officially as sovereign?

The United States will continue to support Taiwan’s membership in international organizations where statehood is not a requirement and encourage Taiwan’s meaningful participation in organizations where its membership is not possible.

Guess he isn't a Pelosi fan....

"Public opinion shall not be violated, and if you play with fire you get burned. I hope the US side can see this clearly," he told Biden, according to China's state news agency. The official English translation later provided by the Chinese Foreign Ministry said, "Those who play with fire will perish by it."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is leading acongressional delegation to Asia that is set to depart on Friday, but it’s still not clear if she will make a stop in Taiwan.

Sources told NBC News that the delegation will stop in Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, and Singapore. Taiwan is listed on the itinerary as "tentative."

So far, Pelosi and her advisers have declined to confirm that she is planning to visit Taiwan. But on Wednesday, Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX) said that Pelosi invited himto join her in Taiwan, signaling that she still plans to go despite the risk of sparking a major crisis across the Taiwan Strait.

McCaul declined the invitation, and it’s not clear who will be part of Pelosi’s delegation. She also invited Reps. Gregory Meeks (D-NY) and Mark Takano (D-CA), but they haven’t commented on the trip.

Beijing has issued strong warnings over Pelosi’s plans to visit Taiwan, but the potential trip has gained strong bipartisan support from lawmakers in Congress as both Republicans and Democrats are urging her to go.

Biden administration officials have said China will view the trip as a purposeful provocation but maintain that it’s her decision whether or not to visit the island.

During a Q&A following Thursday's Biden-Xi phone call, a senior administration official reiterated, "I’d note that, you know, no trip has been announced. And as we’ve said previously, it’s her decision."

Chinese military analysts have warned that Pelosi visiting Taiwan could spark a conflict between the US and China. Pelosi will be the first house speaker to make the trip since Newt Gingrich did in 1997, but the analysts warn China’s response could be stronger since its military is much stronger today.

Chinese state pundits and media are meanwhile warning that "all options, including military ones" are currently on the table.

To heck with this….at this point send Biden to Taiwan.

Who does the Chinese think they are? We don’t take orders from them…

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

I'm kind of shocked at the crazy rhetoric coming out of Beijing. Sounds like NK...

Giving the U.S absolutely no off ramp without looking like complete punks...

Crazy. It's almost as if they actually WANT the U.S to go forward with the visit. If they back channeled their displeasure there was probably a better chance at us backing out quietly.....

Makes me wonder if they want to use this as a pretext for their long anticipated and talked about invasion of Taiwan.

Last edited:

Correct.

And if Pelosi doesn’t go, then it makes the US look weak. China will then become the most powerful country in the eyes of the world.

Actually this is a brilliant move by them. If Pelosi backs down…..China wins. If she doesn’t, they use it as an excuse to invade Taiwan, which Joe will do nothing to stop. China wins.

I'm kind of shocked at the crazy rhetoric coming out of Beijing. Sounds like NK...

Crazy. It's almost as if they actually WANT the U.S to go forward with the visit. If they back channeled their displeasure there was probably a better chance at us backing out quietly.....

Makes me wonder if they want to use this as a pretext for their long anticipated and talked about invasion of Taiwan.
Yeah, the rhetoric is strange. China is all about saving face and their comments - from Xi Jinping no less - leave one side losing face. If US backs down, we look weak. But if Pelosi goes, China has a problem.

I don’t really care if Pelosi goes or not but China’s comments kinda boxed us in. And, eff China! I typically prefer diplomacy and attempts to avoid conflict but there seems to be a desire around the globe for everyone to get ready to rumble.

They certainly have a reason for acting out of character. I view it as a test, similar to the Russian war games before Russia went into Ukraine. Yes, I never thought Russia would invade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT