ADVERTISEMENT

China Warns US of "Forceful Measures" if Nancy Pelosi Visits Taiwan

I've never understood the hate for Pelosi --- other than she has a propensity for dramatics and self-promotion (pretty common among powerful politicians).

Say what you will, but she follows through on her promises and remains quite consistent on issues and is undeniably good at whipping the caucus when necessary. Kind of a female Tip O'Neil vibe.
Hillary, Pelosi, AOC, I think always having a female "face" of the democratic party to demonize is useful for the Republicans, as an important part of their coalition is the heavily mysogynistic "women belong in the kitchen" demographic.

No one can deny she’s tougher than nails.

And like it or not she’s just doing her job.
Agreed. Misogyny seems to be a major motive for many voters and it’s pathetic. I lean slightly left and have never been a huge fan of Pelosi’s “style”, but the hatred and demonization of her (and Hillary, AOC and others) seems unjustified to me.

I don’t dislike Boebert and MTG because they’re women. I dislike them because they are indisputably stupid and divisive - essentially female versions of Matt Gaetz.

Hillary, Pelosi, AOC, I think always having a female "face" of the democratic party to demonize is useful for the Republicans, as an important part of their coalition is the heavily mysogynistic "women belong in the kitchen" demographic.
1970 called and asked if you had moved out yet....

As judged by our female governor. Do you guys even read what you type before you hit post?

There was a U.S. Representative on KAL 007, and we knew the Russians shot it down, but we didn’t go to war.

I put it at a 0.0% chance we’d start a war with China if Pelosi’s plane went down under mysterious circumstances.

Now, if the Chinese issued a blockade on the island, and we decide to run it with the Speaker of the House on a plane, that’s scenario I’m not sure Clancy would touch…
We were the biggest limp dik around the world with carter.
Ronaldo Maximus saved us.

It's a core constituency. Do you think that men who believe that a woman's place is as a homemaker, cooking and raising kids don't actually exist, or that they vote democrat?
Don’t know. Don’t care. Don’t know anyone like that.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to leak Pelosi's visit to the press should be fired.....

Would have been much better if she just had showed up....not these 2 weeks of back and forth rhetoric..

Whoever thought it was a good idea to leak Pelosi's visit to the press should be fired.....

Would have been much better if she just had showed up....not these 2 weeks of back and forth rhetoric..
Bins....don’t you think Nancy enjoyed the notoriety? Hell, she’s a pol, too. And for a Dem leader to openly stick it to the Chinese has to be satisfying to some degree. Doesn’t hurt her “popularity”...you either liked her or hated her.

Bins....don’t you think Nancy enjoyed the notoriety? Hell, she’s a pol, too. And for a Dem leader to openly stick it to the Chinese has to be satisfying to some degree. Doesn’t hurt her “popularity”...you either liked her or hated her.
I don't think she did it for notoriety....and I don't think the leak came from her or her people.

I'm glad she went...we should be more vocal in our support for Taiwan.

1970 called and asked if you had moved out yet....
The only time Nancy has spent 'in the kitchen' in recent years is to get some premium ice cream out of the freezer.

The main reason we see women carrying the flag for the dems is because the men are weak, old or both.

• Haha
Reactions: goldmom and Flie
Looks like we are going to pay the price for her visit. China has surrounded Taiwan and they are screaming and waving their pricks back and forth at the island. Very menacing.

Reactions: Hammer93
Why should we be more vocal for Taiwan? Where is the strategic importance for the US?
Strategically.....

While the U.S. has maintained a degree of self-reliance on semiconductors for use in military technologies, many U.S. defense systems, including advanced fighter jets, radars, and missile-defense systems still rely on commercial chips sourced from Taiwan. Disruptions in Taiwanese manufacturing facilities during conflict with China could cause catastrophic bottlenecks in U.S. military-industrial capacity, severely weakening its national security and the combat effectiveness of its armed forces.

The consequences for the global civilian economy would dwarf military-technological considerations. There is a TSMC-made chip in every new Apple iPhone. In every modern automobile, there are anywhere from 1,000-3,500 semiconductors, many of which are produced in Taiwan. Similarly, the rollout of 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure is heavily reliant on the availability of cutting-edge microprocessors which only a handful of firms, including TSMC, have the capacity to manufacture. These are just a few of many essential technologies and industries which would be dramatically impacted by disruptions to Taiwanese chip manufacturing.

Beyond the humanitarian and geopolitical upheaval that would follow a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, the economic devastation it would unleash is impossible to quantify. As U.S. and allied policy makers look for ways to shelter their economies from the fallout of this potential conflict, there is a need to cooperate on issues of strategic resiliency in supply chains in an increasingly uncertain international security environment.

I think allying and supporting Democracies worldwide has strategic importance....curbing China's power and influence has strategic importance. We abandon Taiwan and China takes it.... it sends a very bad signal to other democracies in the Region and they may look to appease the Chinese and distance themselves from the US.

None of which would be good good for the US strategically long term.

China isn't our friend....their our main adversary in the world and we should act accordingly.

Strategically.....

While the U.S. has maintained a degree of self-reliance on semiconductors for use in military technologies, many U.S. defense systems, including advanced fighter jets, radars, and missile-defense systems still rely on commercial chips sourced from Taiwan. Disruptions in Taiwanese manufacturing facilities during conflict with China could cause catastrophic bottlenecks in U.S. military-industrial capacity, severely weakening its national security and the combat effectiveness of its armed forces.

The consequences for the global civilian economy would dwarf military-technological considerations. There is a TSMC-made chip in every new Apple iPhone. In every modern automobile, there are anywhere from 1,000-3,500 semiconductors, many of which are produced in Taiwan. Similarly, the rollout of 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure is heavily reliant on the availability of cutting-edge microprocessors which only a handful of firms, including TSMC, have the capacity to manufacture. These are just a few of many essential technologies and industries which would be dramatically impacted by disruptions to Taiwanese chip manufacturing.

Beyond the humanitarian and geopolitical upheaval that would follow a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, the economic devastation it would unleash is impossible to quantify. As U.S. and allied policy makers look for ways to shelter their economies from the fallout of this potential conflict, there is a need to cooperate on issues of strategic resiliency in supply chains in an increasingly uncertain international security environment.

I think allying and supporting Democracies worldwide has strategic importance....curbing China's power and influence has strategic importance. We abandon Taiwan and China takes it.... it sends a very bad signal to other democracies in the Region and they may look to appease the Chinese and distance themselves from the US.

China isn't our friend....their our main adversary in the world and we should act accordingly.
I mean look what happened with Hong Kong, I feel like this will go the same way unfortunately. The chips can be produced in other countries and hopefully most of it being back in the USA.

In regards to the democracies of the world, we can be in support but I don’t think we should go to war for them unless they are a huge Ally of ours.

Reactions: Hammer93
I mean look what happened with Hong Kong, I feel like this will go the same way unfortunately. The chips can be produced in other countries and hopefully most of it being back in the USA.

In regards to the democracies of the world, we can be in support but I don’t think we should go to war for them unless they are a huge Ally of ours.
Taiwan isn't Hong Kong and will be a tough nut to crack...or China would have done it already.

At the very least I'd say open the flood gates weapons wise for them....right now we limit sales as to not make China mad. Taiwan pays for the stuff so it wouldn't cost tax payers anything.

Strategically.....

TSMC also makes a large percentage of CPUs and GPUs for PCs. Intel, Nvidia, and AMD all use TSMC for some or all of their chip fab.

Looks like we are going to pay the price for her visit. China has surrounded Taiwan and they are screaming and waving their pricks back and forth at the island. Very menacing.
This is what is concerning. So, Nancy says she is going to go. In my opinion, once she says she is going to go then she has to go. At that point she did the right thing. What I do NOT like about it is there is never a consideration of all of the ramifications of these decisions. Now Taiwan has a major issue that became immediate because of this visit and the US now has to make some major policy decisions on how the situation is going to be handled. The visit definitely moved the problems in that area to the front burner. Now everyone else has to deal with the problems that that visit caused. She'll be in front of the camera talking tough, while everyone else is going to pay the price of their time addressing the problems that were caused and the possible escalation of the tensions/military action.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I always chuckle at those posters pushing for getting all manufacturing out of China and back into the US as they are the same posters who complain about inflation now.

I always chuckle at those posters pushing for getting all manufacturing out of China and back into the US as they are the same posters who complain about inflation now.
Making it a long term goal isn't a bad thing....won't happen for a long time regardless.

At the very least lessoning our reliance on China should be a goal everybody agrees with.

Yep. Radical Right media does seem to remember that Merican Ag industry exports would dry up if the US ever decided a trade war was a good idea. Trump floated the idea to brainwash the cult, but it was always a bad idea.

I understand we import more than we export, but as you stated... product costs would go thru the roof if we didn't have Chinese made products.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT