ADVERTISEMENT

China Warns US of "Forceful Measures" if Nancy Pelosi Visits Taiwan

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
She HAS to go now.....

China warned Tuesday it would take "resolute and forceful measures" if US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan, in what would be the highest-level delegation from the United States to the self-governing island in 25 years.
Pelosi, who is second in line of succession to the US presidency, has reportedly outlined plans to take a delegation to Taipei in August, according to the Financial Times, citing people familiar with the matter. Pelosi's office declined to comment on her travel plans.
August 1 is the anniversary of the founding of China's People's Liberation Army.
On Tuesday, China's Foreign Ministry lashed out at the potential visit, saying it would "have a severe negative impact on the political foundation of China-US relations, and send a gravely wrong signal to 'Taiwan independence' separatist forces."

I wonder what Biden would do if San Fran Nan's plane crashed under mysterious circumstances and the Chinese were somehow linked. Absent clear evidence, would Biden have the stones to go to war with China. Would the American public accept anything but clear and convincing evidence?

I wonder what Biden would do if San Fran Nan's plane crashed under mysterious circumstances and the Chinese were somehow linked. Absent clear evidence, would Biden have the stones to go to war with China. Would the American public accept anything but clear and convincing evidence?
There was a U.S. Representative on KAL 007, and we knew the Russians shot it down, but we didn’t go to war.

I put it at a 0.0% chance we’d start a war with China if Pelosi’s plane went down under mysterious circumstances.

Now, if the Chinese issued a blockade on the island, and we decide to run it with the Speaker of the House on a plane, that’s scenario I’m not sure Clancy would touch…

Reactions: DogBoyRy
If Biden finds a way to get us into a ground war with china or Russia he will go down as the worst president in history.

**** china, they don't want us there because they know what we will see is ugly.

Seemed to have ratcheted it up a notch...

visit to Taiwan by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is a "red line" that the U.S. lawmaker "must never cross," a Chinese newspaper with ties to the country's ruling Communist party wrote in an op-ed Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure The Big Guy has a vested economic interest in China.

Actually, we all do. And China has a vested economic interest in the US. Mutually assured destruction can be economic as much as it can be nuclear.

As binsfeld said, the Chinese aren't usually so public with this stuff. It's not their cultural style. It's obvious they want the world to know, and they also think public pressure will be more effective in helping them get what they want. They have undoubtedly thought about what will happen if Pelosi makes the trip. The stick will likely be subtle. Some manufactured goods needed in the US will be delayed, or more Russian oil will go to China, or North Korea will start testing missiles. Who knows, but the Chinese don't usually set themselves up to lose face.

Seemed to have ratcheted it up a notch...

visit to Taiwan by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is a "red line" that the U.S. lawmaker "must never cross," a Chinese newspaper with ties to the country's ruling Communist party wrote in an op-ed Tuesday.

Let’s see if they cancel the visit. Perhaps China would like to see if Biden will show weakness by having Pelosi cancel the trip.

That was quick...

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Biden appeared to cast doubt on a trip reportedly planned by House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi to visit Taiwan next month.

"I think that the military thinks it's not a good idea right now, but I don't know what the status of it is," Biden said.

Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said they noted Biden's remarks, and that Taiwan and the United States have good mutual trust and smooth communication channels.

However, the ministry added that it has not received "exact information" about a visit by Pelosi to Taiwan, and has no further comment.

Last edited:
She HAS to go now.....

China warned Tuesday it would take "resolute and forceful measures" if US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan, in what would be the highest-level delegation from the United States to the self-governing island in 25 years.
Pelosi, who is second in line of succession to the US presidency, has reportedly outlined plans to take a delegation to Taipei in August, according to the Financial Times, citing people familiar with the matter. Pelosi's office declined to comment on her travel plans.
August 1 is the anniversary of the founding of China's People's Liberation Army.
On Tuesday, China's Foreign Ministry lashed out at the potential visit, saying it would "have a severe negative impact on the political foundation of China-US relations, and send a gravely wrong signal to 'Taiwan independence' separatist forces."

Joe will step in he doesn't want JRs monthly checks to stop!!

Reactions: Masterprime
I'm pretty sure The Big Guy has a vested economic interest in China.

Actually, we all do. And China has a vested economic interest in the US. Mutually assured destruction can be economic as much as it can be nuclear.

As binsfeld said, the Chinese aren't usually so public with this stuff. It's not their cultural style. It's obvious they want the world to know, and they also think public pressure will be more effective in helping them get what they want. They have undoubtedly thought about what will happen if Pelosi makes the trip. The stick will likely be subtle. Some manufactured goods needed in the US will be delayed, or more Russian oil will go to China, or North Korea will start testing missiles. Who knows, but the Chinese don't usually set themselves up to lose face.
The real question is what does china not want us to see going on right now that this statement pulls attention away from. It is a meaningless public gesture meant to distract. They don't care what pelosi does

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
JFC, Biden. Show some stones. Instead of backing off Nancy's trip announce that you, the POTUS, will be making a trip to Taiwan instead. WTF is China going to do about it? Go to war over a diplomatic trip? Doubtful. Economic sanctions against he USA? Ok, time to bring our manufacturing home or move it to another country. F China.

Joe, you just blinked.

JFC, Biden. Show some stones. Instead of backing off Nancy's trip announce that you, the POTUS, will be making a trip to Taiwan instead. WTF is China going to do about it? Go to war over a diplomatic trip? Doubtful. Economic sanctions against he USA? Ok, time to bring our manufacturing home or move it to another country. F China.

Joe, you just blinked.
Nah, he just retreated to his safe space where he can tell his truth.

Reactions: Masterprime

Joe, you just blinked.

I agree but for some reason we have not had many presidents show some stones when it came to China.

I think the reason is mostly economic. Yes not many Americans would get upset by the president showing some stones when it came to China. But if China was pissed enough to cut us off from their exports, the increasing price of goods would sink any president.

The presidents won't show some stones because we as a country arn't willing to support him in the fallout from such stone showing.

What would be Nancy's objective by visiting there? Showing that our country is run by even more idiots at different levels? Doesn't make any sense. This will end bad if she makes the trip. It also has no purpose.

Reactions: hwk23
I agree but for some reason we have not had many presidents show some stones when it came to China.

I think the reason is mostly economic. Yes not many Americans would get upset by the president showing some stones when it came to China. But if China was pissed enough to cut us off from their exports, the increasing price of goods would sink any president.

The presidents won't show some stones because we as a country arn't willing to support him in the fallout from such stone showing.
China has just as much to lose by cutting off exports. They are already having economic issues over there. But you did hit on something. Yes, an American President, or any elected official, is beholden to voters and if voters get mad they don't get elected. China doesn't give an F about their people. Their solution to dissent is prison, re-education camps, or execution. They don't care about the fallout of an economic war with the USA. Just send in the tanks to mow down dissent.

China has just as much to lose by cutting off exports. They are already having economic issues over there. But you did hit on something. Yes, an American President, or any elected official, is beholden to voters and if voters get mad they don't get elected. China doesn't give an F about their people. Their solution to dissent is prison, re-education camps, or execution. They don't care about the fallout of an economic war with the USA. Just send in the tanks to mow down dissent.

Yep ultimately our leaders have much more to lose from an economic war with China then theirs do.

And while it would hurt them they still can sell to Western Europe. So it's not like if they cut us off they couldn't sell their cheap goods anywhere. They would be cut off from a major market but it's not the only market out there.

What does Pelosi hope to accomplish on her trip anyway? I read one article but must have missed it.

Reactions: Hammer93
ADVERTISEMENT