ADVERTISEMENT

China's Navy Growing By Size of Entire French Navy Every 4 years

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
China’s growing naval power is “explosive” and a cause for concern, said German Chief of Navy, Vice Adm. Kay-Achim Schonbach, who urged Beijing to follow the international rules-based order.

Schonbach said China is increasing the size of its navy by the equivalent of the entire French navy every four years.

Chinese Navy Growth

c43387cc-aac4-42cd-8194-b9cf50f85dd0_text.gif

What is this "rules based order" that has become so popular? Our way or the highway is not international law.

A fascinating talk by this former diplomat from Singapore:

What happens when China becomes #1?

Reactions: ghost80
I assume we all have tons of ship-killer missiles anyway.

Face it, any major conflict with China is going nuclear so what’s the point of building and staffing and maintaining a bunch of expensive ships?
Or a cyber war.

also the carrier fleet of the United States is better than the rest of the planet combined.

also enough subs to ensure mutual destruction no matter what.

I don’t think China wants to remove humanity from the planet. So I am not worried about it.

i think it’s just another tactic to bankrupt us.

What is this "rules based order" that has become so popular? Our way or the highway is not international law.

Very worthwhile hour+ to watch. Maybe the question should be "What happens when US becomes #3?" (Behind China and India) or "What happens when the Chinese navy is aggressively patrolling 12 miles off our west coast?"

Did not see him speaking so highly of Bill Clinton coming.

Reactions: Nat Algren
Don’t give into the fear.

don’t need another arms race. Unmanned drones is the future.
I think China will admit they illegally took over the S. China Sea & Hong Kong.

Genocide is not that big of a deal. Why do we need all these people?

China is a bunch of swell guys and we are lucky to call them our pals.

Very worthwhile hour+ to watch. Maybe the question should be "What happens when US becomes #3?" (Behind China and India) or "What happens when the Chinese navy is aggressively patrolling 12 miles off our west coast?"

Did not see him speaking so highly of Bill Clinton coming.
So true. As I wrote in another thread this morning, it may happen quicker than we think. We just sanctioned Nicaragua as punishment for the people daring to vote for Ortega as opposed to the CIA's guy. So, Ortega announced they would no longer recognize Taiwan and now China has slipped in and will extend the Belt and Road Initiative to them. They might resuscitate the stalled Nicaragua Canal to compete with the Panama Canal and ship all of Venezuela's oil (the most proven reserves in the world at 300B barrels) and lithium to China.

• Wow
Reactions: ghost80

I am a little confused on the term "Rules Based Order" that Biden keeps repeating. Does it mean that a country can lay claim to any territory it wants when it wants? Kind of like what is happening in the S. China Sea and in Hong Kong.

I know China had a treaty with the UK on Hong Kong that was supposed to last for another 20 years and China broke the treaty but isn't that what Rules Based Order means?

Why do we even have international laws and treaties? I don't get it.

I assume we all have tons of ship-killer missiles anyway.

Face it, any major conflict with China is going nuclear so what’s the point of building and staffing and maintaining a bunch of expensive ships?
Let's do away with the Navy. If China wants to take over Australia, let them have it. What do we care about them?

The weaker our conventional forces are, there is less likely a chance of war since China is such a bunch of swell guys and would never take advantage of our weakness.

President Xi reminds me of John the Baptist. He is such a holy and swell guy.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I am a little confused on the term "Rules Based Order" that Biden keeps repeating. Does it mean that a country can lay claim to any territory it wants when it wants? Kind of like what is happening in the S. China Sea and in Hong Kong.
It's a meaningless made-up euphemism to provide cover when targets do not genuflect when told.

Events in the S. China Sea are concerning. China is building out islands etc. Their intention is to remedy their Malacca dilemma. The Strait of Hormuz is the most critical chokepoint in the world with 30% of the world's energy passing through. The Strait of Malacca is the 2nd most critical with 80-90% of China's trade passing through with our Navy's presence seen as a menace. China has taken measures to avoid containment by running pipelines of oil and gas through Myanmar to western China, should we close it down. They are also doing business with Russia via the Northern Sea Route to receive resources. They are also bldg a port in Gwadar, Pakistan just south of Hormuz to run routes into W. China as part of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Hong Kong is now part of China.

Last edited:
Let's do away with the Navy. If China wants to take over Australia, let them have it. What do we care about them?

The weaker our conventional forces are, there is less likely a chance of war since China is such a bunch of swell guys and would never take advantage of our weakness.

President Xi reminds me of John the Baptist. He is such a holy and swell guy.
I'm not aware of China threatening Australia. China was Australia's largest trade partner before they decided to shoot themselves in the foot and bow to 5-Eyes pressure.

Oh knoes!!!!! Let the Fearmongering commence!!!! We must up the military budget to 4 quadrillion dollars!!!!!

Or China has one carrier that can operate 45 fighter bombers and a second that can operate 26 to our 11 that can operate 80 fighter bombers each. Even the “worst” projection has China owning 5 little half-sized carriers over the next ten years IF they increase their hull production. Right now it’s scheduled to be 3.

I’m not worried in the slightest.

Oh knoes!!!!! Let the Fearmongering commence!!!! We must up the military budget to 4 quadrillion dollars!!!!!

Or China has one carrier that can operate 45 fighter bombers and a second that can operate 26 to our 11 that can operate 80 fighter bombers each. Even the “worst” projection has China owning 5 little half-sized carriers over the next ten years IF they increase their hull production. Right now it’s scheduled to be 3.

Our carriers are much more vulnerable than we want to believe....China also doesn't need carriers to protect their interests....at least not yet.

Reactions: lucas80
Yeah, my first question is how big is the French navy to begin with? The need for them to maintain a large navy ended with their empire.
About 100 ships including force projection ships like ballistic missile submarines, plus an aging aircraft carrier and some amphibious assault ships. They have a large number of destroyers and ASW ships. Most are in the Atlantic and Mediterranean Sea, but they still have a worldwide presence. Every now and again you'll see a mention of the US using one of their bases in the Indian or Pacific. They've put a lot of assets into chasing pirates around Africa, and in the Pacific Ocean.

China has the ability to build a lot of ships. This is why Biden's efforts to re-engage with our allies and partners in Asia is so important. I would not be shocked at all if you see US, and other nations, begin to port ships in places like Subic Bay, or Cam Ranh Bay again.

About 100 ships including force projection ships like ballistic missile submarines, plus an aging aircraft carrier and some amphibious assault ships. They have a large number of destroyers and ASW ships. Most are in the Atlantic and Mediterranean Sea, but they still have a worldwide presence. Every now and again you'll see a mention of the US using one of their bases in the Indian or Pacific. They've put a lot of assets into chasing pirates around Africa, and in the Pacific Ocean.
Right so saying China is rapidly growing using France as their metric isn’t actually that meaningful. From their perspective, China is attempting to establish themselves as a naval power, when they’ve never really been one ever before, despite that extensive coastline.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

China Biggest Navy

China now has a bigger navy than the US

China's Navy is far behind in technology and weaponry. Not to mention the vast majority of their naval "fleet" are coastal ships. These threads crack me up.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Good question. We unilaterally walked away from JCPOA, ABM, INF, and Open Skies. We had 383 treaties with Native Americans and broke every one. I don't get it either.
I guess Biden didn't get the memo on what swell guys the Chinese are.

Congress passed the Bill 535-0. In a time when there is very little bipartisanship in Wash DC, Congress all decided they wanted to stop importing products from a province that commits genocide.

Doesn't he know how well meaning the CCP is?

Biden Signs Law Banning Imports from Xinjiang

War with China, for some nations anyways, is sadly imminent. Honestly, I don't see why Xi Xinping wants it. China was doing well monetarily and gaining access all over the globe. If you read international papers, you'll probably notice India is testing a new class of missile pretty much on a daily basis. The Chinese have already defacto invaded India and either India loses a huge chunk of territory or it's war. Can't fight now since passes are well impassable due to winter and people can't do much in winter at 15,000 feet. When the snow melts, awful things are on the anvil, and Xi knows the international heat will be off him since the Winter Olympics will have just concluded.

Reactions: West Dundee Hawkeye
China Biggest Navy

China now has a bigger navy than the US

Oh knoes! They have a lot of fishing boat sized naval vessels! Oh MY!!!! If you add up all of their fishing boats they have more than we do cruisers and destroyers!!!!! What will we do!!!!!

China vs US

1 quarter size carrier, 1 half size carrier and 1 helicopter carrier to America’s 11 full size carriers and 18 helicopter carriers for amphibious assaults
Zero cruisers to America’s 21
41 destroyers to America’s 68 regular and 2 stealth
9 nuclear attack subs to America’s 50
6 nuclear ballistic subs to America’s 14

Those are the real effective, large naval ships. Then China has a bunch of little WW2 era style diesel subs, WW2 era PT/torpedo boats and some corvettes and cutters smaller than frigates which can’t go into deep ocean water without risking sinking.

So China “wins” by having lots of WW2 era little tiny boats versus America’s large carrier, nuclear sub and large surface combat ship navy. Or just one Aleigh Burke destroyer can easily wipe out 92 (ninety-two) of the essentially defenseless PT Boats and corvettes without reloading its Harpoon and Mark 41 vertical Launching system or having to use either surface gun or torpedos. Meanwhile the Arleigh Burke by itself not even counting full fleet air defense systems has ample defenses to knock down a lot of incoming missiles (defenses those little boats do not carry).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Oh knoes! They have a lot of fishing boat sized naval vessels! Oh MY!!!! If you add up all of their fishing boats they have more than we do cruisers and destroyers!!!!! What will we do!!!!!

China vs US

1 quarter size carrier, 1 half size carrier and 1 helicopter carrier to America’s 11 full size carriers and 18 helicopter carriers for amphibious assaults
Zero cruisers to America’s 21
41 destroyers to America’s 68 regular and 2 stealth
9 nuclear attack subs to America’s 50
6 nuclear ballistic subs to America’s 14

Those are the real effective, large naval ships. Then China has a bunch of little WW2 era style diesel subs, WW2 era PT/torpedo boats and some corvettes and cutters smaller than frigates which can’t go into deep ocean water without risking sinking.
Never underestimate your enemy. They might lose but the number of US losses would be unacceptable in a full blown war. China ain't Iraq.

Never underestimate your enemy. They might lose but the number of US losses would be unacceptable in a full blown war. China ain't Iraq.

I’m not some Magat Chickenhawk wanting to go to war with China. Frankly, our economies are so intertwined we couldn’t hurt them without killing ourselves AND Vice versa, so we will never go to war with China in the next twenty to thirty years. All I’m saying is that if we DID…we’d wipe the floor with them. Their navy and Air Force is WAY behind the weapon systems we openly acknowledge. And there’s a lot of wink wink nudge nudge not so completely secret weapons we have that are miles better than what they’ve stolen from our mass producers and universities. What thirty year old stealth tech stolen from Boeing and MIT is going to equal having to face space planes dropping rods of God, hypersonic strike craft and squadrons of interconnected drones?

I’m not some Magat Chickenhawk wanting to go to war with China. Frankly, our economies are so intertwined we couldn’t hurt them without killing ourselves AND Vice versa, so we will never go to war with China in the next twenty to thirty years. All I’m saying is that if we DID…we’d wipe the floor with them. Their navy and Air Force is WAY behind the weapon systems we openly acknowledge. And there’s a lot of wink wink nudge nudge not so completely secret weapons we have that are miles better than what they’ve stolen from our mass producers and universities. What thirty year old stealth tech stolen from Boeing and MIT is going to equal having to face space planes dropping rods of God, hypersonic strike craft and squadrons of interconnected drones?
One hopes you are right. I am more circumspect especially when war gets face to face.

War with China, for some nations anyways, is sadly imminent. Honestly, I don't see why Xi Xinping wants it. China was doing well monetarily and gaining access all over the globe. If you read international papers, you'll probably notice India is testing a new class of missile pretty much on a daily basis. The Chinese have already defacto invaded India and either India loses a huge chunk of territory or it's war. Can't fight now since passes are well impassable due to winter and people can't do much in winter at 15,000 feet. When the snow melts, awful things are on the anvil, and Xi knows the international heat will be off him since the Winter Olympics will have just concluded.
Because China wasn't actually doing all that well. Smoke and mirrors to keep the populace from starting a revolution. They can't feed their people on their own and their business model is reliant upon the west much more than the west is reliant upon them. Covid has the west shifting manufacturing away from China and their monetary policy is a joke. They are not the geniuses we or they have been allowed to believe even with their 40 year plan.

The United States spends more than three times what the Chinese spend on defense. Yearly. Our defense contractors are the world's best, bar none. People who fear monger about the Chinese are probably the same folks that fear mongered about the Russians during the Cold War. Outside of nuclear capability, they were never close to the United States militarily. That became glaringly obvious after the USSR dissolved and many Soviet platforms, technologies and capabilities were fully learned by the US. China is no different.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
We would be fine without them economically and would shift manufacturing to Mexico, Brazil, and Central America. Maybe the Caribbean as well for some things. China was easier but it isn't the only option for us and we have learned that lesson. China is effed and Xi knows it. His option is to bang the nationalism drum and so he is doing just that. Won't change much and if he is stupid enough to actually go to war to cover up their problems they will be done as a country. The majority within china are not really communists and won't simply follow orders especially as one gets further away from Beijing. Our navy by the way would end them quickly. The other big issue they have is I guarantee we have the ability to truly eff their tech. We would shut off a lot of things for them before any actual fighting began.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT