ADVERTISEMENT

"Chinese fire drill" - racist, right?

Other words or phrases commonly used that are considered racist. Some I knew, some surprised me.

Jipped or Gyped
Jerry rigged
Sold down the river
Shyster
Uppity
Grandfathered in
Master bedroom
Cakewalk
Sold down the river
Chink in the armor
Call a spade a spade
Black Sheep
Blacklist
Off the reservation
Spirit Animal
Hip hip hooray
Eenie meenie miney moe
Long time no see
No can do

Chink in the armor is not racist.

That’s fantastic information. Every bit of it is irrelevant to the OPs question. Simple question, and you continue to try making a point where a point cannot be made. It is not racist to talk about a country. Never will be. Sorry
giphy.gif

Can you articulate what negative connotation people are exemplifying when they refer to something as "Mexican food?"

Because the NPR article very clearly explains the issue with the various incarnations of "Chinese ________":

After the two world wars, "Chinese" continued to be used as a descriptor to indicate things that were hasty, cheap or amateur. The late New York Times columnist William Safire noted in his book I Stand Corrected that in the 1940s and '50s "Chinese home runs" referred to home runs that were either high pop-ups or ones that exited the park just along the foul line. And schoolchildren used to play "Chinese whispers" instead of the game Telephone because the messages would quickly become garbled and lost along the way.

Chinese home runs were so-called because China is on the other side of the world, so it is a "home run" because, jokingly, it travelled the entire circumference of the earth to land behind home plate. I don't believe it ever referred to a ball traveling down the foul line - just balls that went over the back stop.

Been years but I think a minor league baseball team fired an employee for playing the song “Secret Agent Man” when an Asian player was walking up to the plate to bat. Everybody thought the lyrics were “Secret Asian Man” and deemed it racist.

It's just so funny watching people try to justify being dickheads.

It can't be clearer that slapping the word "Chinese" in front of something that is poorly organized, done stupidly, makes no sense or is abnormal is a negative racial stereotype.

In the scheme of things, is it a huge deal and a massive example of racist behavior like, say, segregation or lynching or redlining? Not even close.

But to try and pretend it's not racist is patently, hilariously absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
It's just so funny watching people try to justify being dickheads.

It can't be clearer that slapping the word "Chinese" in front of something that is poorly organized, done stupidly, makes no sense or is abnormal is a negative racial stereotype.

In the scheme of things, is it a huge deal and a massive example of racist behavior like, say, segregation or lynching or redlining? Not even close.

But to try and pretend it's not racist is patently, hilariously absurd.
Not. Racist. Trying way too hard to white knight for a country that hates freedom, commits genocide, and is determined to rule the world. Seriously Xi lives for bobble heads willing to stick up for him.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
I’ve never even heard that people did this. I don’t really see how this would be funny or fun, even if I was a kid. To each their own though. Not sure if it is racist; but in todays world, I would do my best to avoid using it.

And to those that say “know your audience”; according to the D&I classes that my company has us take, that is considered to be worse than actually saying what you want to say to anyone and everyone. It just perpetuates the hidden racism that every white person has in this country and to be a true advocate for change, this behavior needs to stop. I don’t disagree when it comes to people talking racist shut; but, way too many things these days offend people.

Like I said. You are a simpleton.
I just stick to definitions when necessary. There is a reason for them. If you let someone misuse a word, all of a sudden a dick wins a womens sporting event

Technically true, but words have meaning that change over time. Words like retard, moron, cretin, lunatic, idiot, imbecile, handicapped all had legitimate medical definitions in the past, but now are looked down upon. It's interesting to see their origin and how they have changed to newer terms, only to get changed again.

Retarded-handicapped-mentally disabled-the next future word.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but if a large enough group of people feel threatened or maligned because of a word, I'm not going to lose sleep over using another one. Might take me awhile, but in the long run, wgaf.

Technically true, but words have meaning that change over time. Words like retard, moron, cretin, lunatic, idiot, imbecile, handicapped all had legitimate medical definitions in the past, but now are looked down upon. It's interesting to see their origin and how they have changed to newer terms, only to get changed again.

Retarded-handicapped-mentally disabled-the next future word.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but if a large enough group of people feel threatened or maligned because of a word, I'm not going to lose sleep over using another one. Might take me awhile, but in the long run, wgaf.

Retard is yesterday's moron.

I'm fine not using it around people that find it personally offensive. But language and offense is subjective so I'll use it at times depending on context.

I’ve never even heard that people did this. I don’t really see how this would be funny or fun, even if I was a kid.
I believe this was popular in the 50s when high school kids didnt have cell phones, tinder and play CoD all day. Hell they crammed in telephone booths for fun and the biggest thing in town was a sock hop in poodle skirts and buzz cuts after drinking a malt from the drugstore soda jerk. (In hindsight, that doesn't sound that bad).

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I believe this was popular in the 50s when high school kids didnt have cell phones, tinder and play CoD all day. Hell they crammed in telephone booths for fun and the biggest thing in town was a sock hop in poodle skirts and buzz cuts after drinking a malt from the drugstore soda jerk. (In hindsight, that doesn't sound that bad).
Ah. Gotcha. Thought maybe it was kids out road tripping with beers and whoever was by the drivers door when the light turned yellow had to drive!

ADVERTISEMENT