ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Kingsbury kids

Seems like a good move. High level walk on, assuming no promises of a future scholarship were made. At worst, adds to the quality of competition in practice.

Reactions: mstp1992
The Vanilla Gorilla was a McDonalds AA as well.

But wasn't the best male athlete in the area his senior year of HS. He tied with West Branch and Hawkeye great Marv Cook. I played against Cook. Ain't no way Al was better. Cook was 1st team all state or individual champ in 4 sports (FB, BB, BsB, and Track).

But wasn't the best male athlete in the area his senior year of HS. He tied with West Branch and Hawkeye great Marv Cook. I played against Cook. Ain't no way Al was better. Cook was 1st team all state or individual champ in 4 sports (FB, BB, BsB, and Track).
When you say. "Ain't no way Al was better" are you saying as an athlete? Just for clarity, you don't mean as a basketball player, right?

I get mccausland was a feel good story his senior year and shot for a very high percentage, but to take him over kingsbury is ludicrous, night and day difference in talent.
I'm pretty sure McCausland led THE NATION in 3-point shooting, maybe his junior year. Pretty tough to diss a kid for leading the nation . . .

I enjoyed Kingsbury's cavalier shooting most of the time, and he was more than just a shooter too. But I believe McCausland may be one of the most underrated Iowa shooters of all time. Maybe he's the Kyle Hendricks of Iowa basketball. (Cubs pitcher Hendricks doesn't look like an athlete, doesn't throw hard, but he's been one of the best pitchers in MLB the last several years. Right now he's tied for the MLB lead in wins with 11, but once again did NOT make the all-star team. He never has despite having better stats than many who have, including this season. He hasn't lost a game for two months, for example.)

When you say. "Ain't no way Al was better" are you saying as an athlete? Just for clarity, you don't mean as a basketball player, right?

They were named CO Gazette Male Athletes of the year in 1984. Marvin's accolades far outweighed Al's at the time.

They were named CO Gazette Male Athletes of the year in 1984. Marvin's accolades far outweighed Al's at the time.
Al was a National top recruit….I think at least one had him as a top 10 player in the country. I don’t recall Marv getting that type of publicity at that point….Marv had a better career in both college and the pros….but coming out of high school Al was a top National player….was Marv rated as a basketball recruit?

Last edited:
Al was a National top recruit….I think at least one had him as a top 10 player in the country. I don’t recall getting that type of publicity at that point….Marv had a better career in both college and the pros….but coming out of high school Al was a top National player….was Marv rated as a basketball recruit?

Basketball? Heavens no.
Every other sport in HS? Marv 3, AL 0.

Reactions: perryhawk
I'm pretty sure McCausland led THE NATION in 3-point shooting, maybe his junior year. Pretty tough to diss a kid for leading the nation . . .

I enjoyed Kingsbury's cavalier shooting most of the time, and he was more than just a shooter too. But I believe McCausland may be one of the most underrated Iowa shooters of all time. Maybe he's the Kyle Hendricks of Iowa basketball. (Cubs pitcher Hendricks doesn't look like an athlete, doesn't throw hard, but he's been one of the best pitchers in MLB the last several years. Right now he's tied for the MLB lead in wins with 11, but once again did NOT make the all-star team. He never has despite having better stats than many who have, including this season. He hasn't lost a game for two months, for example.)
And Hendrix would feel honored and would attend unlike so many prima donna in the sport today. Before you know it, only bench players will agree to participate in the game. Definitely doesn't help the image of baseball which is having difficulty in bringing in new fans already. Heck if the stars aren't interested in the All-Star Game, why should the fans be? It's not as bad as the NFL Pro Bowl, but it's getting there.

You have to wonder if Marv had decided to play basketball, if he could have exceeded Lorenzen's 10 pts/4 RBs for his career. Can you imagine Cook pounding the boards? And if he is driving to the basket, who is going to jump in and take that charge?

Reactions: EIHCGuy
O0xyfXWN

Yeah, but there was one before that one, Jacksonville 1970 that is stuck in our memories.
It sure did, that’s the year I became a Hawkeye Basketball Fan, from Chicago no less. 2 years before I enrolled there and have never looked back , although the Licklighter years were tough and Alford who I admit that I liked the hire at the time, really tarnished the school with the Pierre Pierce debacle. Still a big fan though over 50 years later, ahhh the Ronnie Lester years, that was some good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT