ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Street documentary premiering tonight at 8:00 CST/9:00 EST on BTN

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
The documentary looks really well done and I had always voted Chris Steet for a 30 for 30 episode. For the Noles on here, Street was a beloved Iowa basketball player who was killed in a car accident during his junior season at the age of 20. Will be 30 years tomorrow. I will probably be balling my eyes out half the time.

When that team lost to Wake in the Tourney, you could see the complete exhaustion on every player’s face. They ran on fumes that season, and it was almost like…as badly as they wanted to keep winning in his memory, they also didn’t want to keep going without him.

Look up the M. State game up in East lansing. May have been the second game after losing Street. Iowa was down 15 w 3 minutes left.
Spoiler: Iowa won in OT.

Eric Snow was a 9%, yes nine % free throw shooter and missed 2 key FT to help Iowa.

Also off an inbound play a MSU guy missed a wide open layup and another guy missed a pretty easy tip on the miss.

Look it up on YouTube.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I thought they played Michigan but maybe that was the first home game.
Yes, they played Michigan in their first home game after upsetting MSU on the road some how, some way in their first game after Chris’ death. Of course there were a couple games postponed, NW and Indiana prior to resuming their schedule.

It was such a hard time for everyone. I don’t know how the team and coaches got through that season as well as the Street family. Just shows how strong they were as a family, on and off the court. God bless all of them for what they had to endure and still do to this day.

Somewhere I read that after the Duke game Chris and co. were allowed to "go out on the town" there in Durham. I think it was Wade Lookingbill who recounted the following.

The Duke students really took to Chris for his game and now for his joyous and inviting personality. As the evening wore on he became the Pied Piper attracting a large following as he went from spot to spot.

What a guy.

Last edited:
balling my eyes out
b4d19a91a64895b218d979e8faf1a532.gif

That was fantastically done. Got dust in my eyes several times throughout. Especially when Dr. Tom broke down.

Didn’t remember the lawsuit against the snowplow driver until tonight. I understand why the Street family did it (wanted, but couldn’t get answers unless they pursued legal action), but you can’t really fault the snowplow driver.

Sad.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the end of it. It hurt so bad the night he died.
I had to stop it at the funeral with the sister’s eulogy. I broke down, I can’t believe it.

Just finished it and it exceeded my expectations which were very high based on the previews. I don’t know how his family, teammates, and coaches made it though that.

Yes, they played Michigan in their first home game after upsetting MSU on the road some how, some way in their first game after Chris’ death. Of course there were a couple games postponed, NW and Indiana prior to resuming their schedule.

It was such a hard time for everyone. I don’t know how the team and coaches got through that season as well as the Street family. Just shows how strong they were as a family, on and off the court. God bless all of them for what they had to endure and still do to this day.
If you watch a replay of the MSU game it gets to a point where it still seems like it’s impossible to come back. Something like -17 in the last 4 minutes.

I'm avoiding it. Not sure I want to watch it.

I remember picking up The Daily Iowan the next morning with the headline of his name and his birth and death dates, my first thought being confused as to why would they make it seem like he died. Absolutely floored when the reality of it hit.

I still think of him whenever I'm at that exit.

Reactions: hawkifann
Yep, very well done as you knew it would be from the trailer.

I initially thought digging up the lawsuit towards the end was stilting and against all the emotions the piece had evoked. When Pence said he wanted to believe and still wants to believe he wasn't speeding ... wow, what the hell? Wasn't sure? But then he goes on to to say he would like the Streets to know he is sorry. Segment saved.

Then the JBo free throw story was the perfect capper, bringing the larger story full-circle to present day. Perfect.

Might also note there was no narrator. Just the voices of all the witnesses and survivors stitched together seamlessly for one powerful statement. Very, very well done.

When that team lost to Wake in the Tourney, you could see the complete exhaustion on every player’s face. They ran on fumes that season, and it was almost like…as badly as they wanted to keep winning in his memory, they also didn’t want to keep going without him.

Unbelievable how that team fought after that. Street was the heart and soul of that team and I didn’t know how the rest would move forward. Great leadership by Dr. Tom and staff

I initially thought digging up the lawsuit towards the end was stilting and against all the emotions the piece had evoked. When Pence said he wanted to believe and still wants to believe he wasn't speeding ... wow, what the hell? Wasn't sure? But then he goes on to to say he would like the Streets to know he is sorry. Segment saved.

Then the JBo free throw story was the perfect capper, bringing the larger story full-circle to present day. Perfect.

Might also note there was no narrator. Just the voices of all the witnesses and survivors stitched together seamlessly for one powerful statement. Very, very well done.
They did a great job with this. It was tragic in every way. Street shouldn’t have died. Pence shouldn’t have killed anyone. The guys on the team shouldn’t have had to go through that.

I think the high-set headlights are probably the biggest factor. There’s a reason why they’re not allowed anymore. That said, shit, if he’s pulling out 2 seconds earlier or later, Chris Street is probably an NBA lottery pick and doing TV analysis or coaching now.

I grew up in Ankeny two years younger than Street, so he was the overrated enemy for a few years in Indianola…but he won me over fast. I was a freshman when he died and I remember getting a call from my dad as I came back from a shower in my dorm about Chris. The next day, with an ice storm and all, was about the bleakest day I can remember.

30 years later, I’ve lived a life where my regular runner BIL died at 32 after a heart attack during a half marathon. Losing someone too long is something you never really shake. I can only imagine what his parents and sisters went through and I know the pain of future family lost.

Forever40 is a thing and he’ll always be the best in my heart. The floor of CHA needs to be Chris Street Court ASAP.

that actually made sense to me about the speeding. How many people can say they were not speeding every second the are driving? Not one second, or 30, going 7 over the speed limit? 5 over? What about 10 over a few seconds after the sign?

It's not like we all drive on cruise control. I'm sure that thought is in his mind. Did I lose track of my speed for a few moments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT