ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Street documentary premiering tonight at 8:00 CST/9:00 EST on BTN

that actually made sense to me about the speeding. How many people can say they were not speeding every second the are driving? Not one second, or 30, going 7 over the speed limit? 5 over? What about 10 over a few seconds after the sign?

It's not like we all drive on cruise control. I'm sure that thought is in his mind. Did I lose track of my speed for a few moments.
Yeah, Pence seemed like someone who is haunted by those questions. Definitely a far cry from the young guy celebrating the civil suit in the video clips.

Look up the M. State game up in East lansing. May have been the second game after losing Street. Iowa was down 15 w 3 minutes left.
Spoiler: Iowa won in OT.

Eric Snow was a 9%, yes nine % free throw shooter and missed 2 key FT to help Iowa.

Also off an inbound play a MSU guy missed a wide open layup and another guy missed a pretty easy tip on the miss.

Look it up on YouTube.
I was a senior at Iowa in 1993. That week was so sad and bad. I had to work the night of the MSU game so I recorded it on VHS and made sure not to turn on the radio or watch TV after I got off work at 9. Headed to my girlfriend's after work, she was already in bed when I watched it.

For some reason, I didn't turn it off or fast forward when Iowa was getting their ass kicked. It was weird, but I kind of felt like "there's no way they can lose this game" even when it looked exactly like there was NO hope of them winning.

Well they pull off the amazing comeback and win in overtime and my girlfriend comes out of the bedroom to find me openly weeping sitting in the living room in front of the TV in the dark.

That team had a very underrated front court, especially with Street. Street, Kenyon, Acie, Winters , even Millard off the bench. Big strong and athletic. Val Barnes could pop it. Possible elite 8 final 4 team with Chris. So sad.

that actually made sense to me about the speeding. How many people can say they were not speeding every second the are driving? Not one second, or 30, going 7 over the speed limit? 5 over? What about 10 over a few seconds after the sign?

It's not like we all drive on cruise control. I'm sure that thought is in his mind. Did I lose track of my speed for a few moments.
was he actually plowing at the time? if so, they are usually going much less than the speed limit.

or was he simply traveling to another area to plow? I honestly do not remember.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
was he actually plowing at the time? if so, they are usually going much less than the speed limit.

or was he simply traveling to another area to plow? I honestly do not remember.
Another uncomfortable question: why didn't they cancel the team dinner that night? If I recall correctly, this was a big enough snowstorm that they cancelled schools the following day. Hindsight is 20/20 but having a bunch of 20-somethings drive out to a restaurant on the interstate at night during a heavy snowstorm seems to be a bad idea as well.

Another uncomfortable question: why didn't they cancel the team dinner that night? If I recall correctly, this was a big enough snowstorm that they cancelled schools the following day. Hindsight is 20/20 but having a bunch of 20-somethings drive out to a restaurant on the interstate at night during a heavy snowstorm seems to be a bad idea as well.
I recall correctly there was a storm coming the next day and Pence was taking the plow home with him so he was ready in the morning.

Yeah, those are fair and reasonable points.

But if in my heart of hearts I know I was trying to maintain the speed limit and have no reason to believe otherwise, I stick to my guns.

To waffle now just seems to allow some to say he admitted he had no idea how fast he was going. Just kinda sullies things, imo. Otoh, maybe it was kinda cathartic or necessary for him. Who knows?

But again, I certainly see your point.

I recall correctly there was a storm coming the next day and Pence was taking the plow home with him so he was ready in the morning.
You are correct, my memory was faulty!

The newspaper account said skies were clear and roads were not ice or snow covered.

Maybe they were pre-treating in advance of the storm?

thanks, my memory is foggy if there was snow on the ground or not. from the photos on the show last night that didn't appear to be the case.

now the speedy theory makes more sense, in todays world there is so much more technology to prove such a thing, video camera's everywhere and onboard tracking systems.

Yeah, those are fair and reasonable points.

But if in my heart of hearts I know I was trying to maintain the speed limit and have no reason to believe otherwise, I stick to my guns.

To waffle now just seems to allow some to say he admitted he had no idea how fast he was going. Just kinda sullies things, imo. Otoh, maybe it was kinda cathartic or necessary for him. Who knows?

But again, I certainly see your point.
That is true. Good point.

I was a senior at Iowa in 1993. That week was so sad and bad. I had to work the night of the MSU game so I recorded it on VHS and made sure not to turn on the radio or watch TV after I got off work at 9. Headed to my girlfriend's after work, she was already in bed when I watched it.

For some reason, I didn't turn it off or fast forward when Iowa was getting their ass kicked. It was weird, but I kind of felt like "there's no way they can lose this game" even when it looked exactly like there was NO hope of them winning.

Well they pull off the amazing comeback and win in overtime and my girlfriend comes out of the bedroom to find me openly weeping sitting in the living room in front of the TV in the dark.
I was on cloud nine after that game but sad too that we wouldn’t get to see 40 play on that team ever again. Also, I sure hope you got some that night from the gf as a way to help console you!!

Reactions: torbee

I met a guy through kid's sports that was a high school friend of Street's. Said he wasn't surprised that Street died in a car accident, but not in that way. Was known to be an aggressive driver. He and some other friends road tripped out to Durham for the Duke game on a whim.

The home game against Michigan was something I'll never forget. It was a shared event by 15,000 people. Everyone walked into the arena with their emotions on display. The pregame was choke you up emotional, and then the game just busted loose and was a spectacular ride. Just an incredible day.

Reactions: McLovin32
I was a blubbering fool during the documentary.

I remember having to go to 6:00 basketball practice the following morning and it was far and away the least productive practice I've ever been a part of. Coach finally called it early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT