ADVERTISEMENT

Christian "Sharia Laws" are OK

I never see any biblical arguments for abortion. Yeah, there is big overlap between pro-life and being religious, but I don't see the issue as explicitly religious. (and it doesn't seem to be argued that way)

Reactions: HawkFan1298
I am almost certain that Muhammad came up with this rule 1,500 years ago
Missing the point. It doesn’t matter. You don’t get to push your religious beliefs on the rest of the country. Sadly, the radical Christian right is planning to do precisely this. Christian Americans shouldn’t get to force their beliefs on Jewish, Muslim or Athiest Americans.

Sure you do.
Everywhere.

I don't exactly go looking for these arguments... but I don't tend to see explicitly religious arguments bubble up much in many discussions of the issue.

It's almost always just simply stating that taking the life of a fetus is a moral wrong... so that's all I have to work with.

“Your friendly local Muslim & lawyer here to remind you Sharia permits abortion up to 120 days”

Unless of course the pregnancy is the result of rape or extramarital sex, in which case she gets stoned to death instead.
Doesn't the Bible advocate death for extramarital sex?

Reactions: BelemNole
Doesn't the Bible advocate death for extramarital sex?
The Old Testament does. Not sure about the New Testament. But I don’t think even the Old Testament calls for stoning rape victims to death. That’s kind of a Sharia specialty.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Points to ponder....

If the Court somehow decides to recognize a religious exemption and abortion rights are protected for Jewish practitioners for example, how many women of child bearing age become Jews?

If the Court does not allow religious exemptions to the Dobbs ruling, isn't that a tacit admission that this Court has ruled that christianity is a superior religion?

How long before it is disclosed that a rabid and vocal pro-life activist or poltician (or a member of their family) residing in a state where abortions are banned are reported to have obtained or paid for an abortion in another state?

When will Donald Trump claim that he has always favored "limited" abortion rights and was shocked that SCOTUS overturned Roe?

The Old Testament does. Not sure about the New Testament. But I don’t think even the Old Testament calls for stoning rape victims to death. That’s kind of a Sharia specialty.
The New Testament does not change the punishment of death to adulterers. As for rape, the rapist is to be killed but the woman would not if she attempted to resist. Otherwise, it's the same as adultery.

The point is using this argument to cast stones (pun intended) at other religions might not be wise.

The New Testament does not change the punishment of death to adulterers. As for rape, the rapist is to be killed but the woman would not if she attempted to resist. Otherwise, it's the same as adultery.

The point is using this argument to cast stones (pun intended) at other religions might not be wise.

Not sure you can claim the NT doesn't change the punishment for adulterers since the whole "He is who without sin may cast the first stone" is directly about a woman accused of adultery.

That said I agree that casting stones on other religions isn't a useful exercise.

Not sure you can claim the NT doesn't change the punishment for adulterers since the whole "He is who without sin may cast the first stone" is directly about a woman accused of adultery.

That said I agree that casting stones on other religions isn't a useful exercise.
#castluresnotstones

“Your friendly local Muslim & lawyer here to remind you Sharia permits abortion up to 120 days”

Unless of course the pregnancy is the result of rape or extramarital sex, in which case she gets stoned to death instead.
Beyond that, "permits" is a little different thing than "is an element of your religion" subject to free exercise principle The rabbi has built the better case. Then again, do Jewish women have sex? (I KID)

Not really. My understanding is that didn't establish new rules but rather was because the man involved in the rape needed to be stoned as well. In fact, Jesus extended this to include lust as a sin equivalent to adultery and, presumably, worthy of death as well.

Jesus did not abolish the law of the Old Testament. For He said, “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled” (Matthew 5:17). Jesus did not lower the bar of morality in the New Testament but raised the bar higher. He taught that lust is adultery (Matthew 5:28). Both the Old and New Testaments reveal the same holy, merciful, and righteous God who must condemn sin but who desires to bring to Himself sinners through Christ’s atoning death.

Beyond that, "permits" is a little different thing than "is an element of your religion" subject to free exercise principle The rabbi has built the better case. Then again, do Jewish women have sex? (I KID)
Iykyk:

MV5BYTdhYWU3OGEtZWZlMS00ZWM2LTliNTEtMDcyNzg0MWU0NDhkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUzOTQ5MjY@._V1_UY1200_CR100,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Not really. My understanding is that didn't establish new rules but rather was because the man involved in the rape needed to be stoned as well. In fact, Jesus extended this to include lust as a sin equivalent to adultery and, presumably, worthy of death as well.

Jesus did not abolish the law of the Old Testament. For He said, “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled” (Matthew 5:17). Jesus did not lower the bar of morality in the New Testament but raised the bar higher. He taught that lust is adultery (Matthew 5:28). Both the Old and New Testaments reveal the same holy, merciful, and righteous God who must condemn sin but who desires to bring to Himself sinners through Christ’s atoning death.

He didn't change the morality of it but the new covenant brought about a whole new way of dealing with sin from a punishment focused method to one focused on redemption.

So I have a very hard time seeing where the NT advocates for the death penalty for adultery.

I never see any biblical arguments for abortion. Yeah, there is big overlap between pro-life and being religious, but I don't see the issue as explicitly religious. (and it doesn't seem to be argued that way)
How big is the rock you live under?

How big is the rock you live under?

What are all the explicitly religious arguments for abortion that you see floating about?

I'm not saying that being religious doesn't encourage the sort of worldview that might be against abortion... but you're stuck arguing against the actual reasoning being employed, the actual arguments being brought forth, not all the pre-conditions for the adoption and formation of said argument.

He didn't change the morality of it but the new covenant brought about a whole new way of dealing with sin from a punishment focused method to one focused on redemption.

So I have a very hard time seeing where the NT advocates for the death penalty for adultery.
The consequences of sin have not changed in the New Testament. For Paul states, “For the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). Any sin that is not repented off will lead people to eternal death.

Missing the point. It doesn’t matter. You don’t get to push your religious beliefs on the rest of the country. Sadly, the radical Christian right is planning to do precisely this. Christian Americans shouldn’t get to force their beliefs on Jewish, Muslim or Athiest Americans.
Exactly! Unless a Christian wants to force the Muslim to make a Jesus cake. Then the Muslim must do that or else he’s a bigot!

That's only half right.

The tweet says for rape/incest

The Jews at the time of Christ believed that a child didn't become a person until they took their first breath, which was the point their spirit indwelt within them. So nothing before then is "life".

Jesus never spoke to condemn this believe. Like most things Christians believe, they simply make it up as they go along and try to find something to give them cover.

The Jews at the time of Christ believed that a child didn't become a person until they took their first breath, which was the point their spirit indwelt within them. So nothing before then is "life".

Jesus never spoke to condemn this believe. Like most things Christians believe, they simply make it up as they go along and try to find something to give them cover.
Yeah, that was my understanding of it growing up. (not that I researched other religious opinion)

Unless of course the pregnancy is the result of rape or extramarital sex, in which case she gets

Biblical arguments are a moot point. It's religious though, just like guns are, they're a God given right. Abortion wouldn't be an issue without religion. Most Republicans believe we're a Christian nation, it's why they call liberals murderers and baby killers, murder is THE sin.

We're almost there.

Instead of everlasting life in heaven followed by the resurrection. Yes. But that's not the same as an earthly death penalty.
Romans references earthly death.

I'm sure other religions can have their gospel interpreted different ways as well. That's why I said it was unwise to do such comparisons.

What are all the explicitly religious arguments for abortion that you see floating about?

I'm not saying that being religious doesn't encourage the sort of worldview that might be against abortion... but you're stuck arguing against the actual reasoning being employed, the actual arguments being brought forth, not all the pre-conditions for the adoption and formation of said argument.

Well, for starters the archbishop of the Catholic Church denied communion to the Speaker of the US House of Representatives over her stance on abortion, and had a number of other bishops support his position.

Romans references earthly death.

I'm sure other religions can have their gospel interpreted different ways as well. That's why I said it was unwise to do such comparisons.

Yes we die because we are sinners. Doesn't mean we should kill other sinners.

Regardless I do agree with you on the comparisons bit. I don't much like it because as foolish and quite frankly wrong as I've seen people's interpretations of Christian scripture I am hesistant to do the same thing to Islamic scriptures.

I much prefer to take people at what they say they believe. If you say you believe your faith commands you to kill innocent people I'm disturbed and I find you frightening and probably best off imprisoned. If you say your faith commands you to love all people, I believe you and I hope to see it in action.

Well, for starters the archbishop of the Catholic Church denied communion to the Speaker of the US House of Representatives over her stance on abortion, and had a number of other bishops support his position.
Lol - no. The Bishop in San Francisco denied Pelosi communion. An act the Pope has denounced.

Pope Francis has spoken out against the moves by some American bishops to permit individual bishops to deny Communion to politicians who support abortion rights. The Communion refusal movement is driven by a more conservative wing of the Catholic Church.

I'll answer your question after you answer mine. How big is the rock you live under?

ADVERTISEMENT