ADVERTISEMENT

Christopher Hitchens on reparations for slavery

Menace Sockeyes

HB Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Fantastic speech. Also, listen to his tips on how to know you’re winning an argument. Describes arguing with Trump supporters perfectly:

Reactions: mnole03
Wait am I missing something? Are we the only nation with a history of slavery and abuse generations and generations ago? Do we need to cut a check to every person with "black" in their blood to make everyone feel better about themselves. Will everything THEN be equal among us and we can start judging people on their actions and their charater instead of making excuses for people?

Wait am I missing something? Are we the only nation with a history of slavery and abuse generations and generations ago? Do we need to cut a check to every person with "black" in their blood to make everyone feel better about themselves. Will everything THEN be equal among us and we can start judging people on their actions and their character instead of making excuses for people?

A) You should read about how the English addressed the issue. Their racial disparities, while not perfect, are not even in the same ballpark as ours.

B) You perfectly demonstrated his point about the "perfect being the enemy of the good". It appears that wasn't the only part of the speech that went way over your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
Iraq war monger Christopher Hitchens thinks we should pay money for something we weren’t even alive for?

Your reasoning is that the UK has better race relations? The UK is a dump where you need a license to buy a spoon and will have a screwdriver confiscated.

zO2U2Ux_d.jpg

Let’s be more like the UK so we can avoid whatever negative outcomes you’ve invented about the USA’s “race problems”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_1154152

Further down the front page, below the fold, was the obituary for Christopher Hitchens, a brilliant polemicist and an unwavering supporter of a war he considered effectively over in his June 2003 collection, “A Long Short War.”

you should pick better people to regurgitate

This is a pile of drivel. His reasons for liberating Iraq were right, even if they did not add up to the need for war IMHO. He went on to be highly critical of how the Bush administration went about this war and occupation. But yet again you offer nothing but non-sequiturs and ad hominems.

I think if you like Trump you should want the Dems to push very hard for reparations 24/7.

I think if you like Trump you should want the Dems to push very hard for reparations 24/7.

Sadly, you are correct. Hitchens is on the right side of this issue, but we are a WWE nation, without the comprehension or clarity of conscience (or history) to be able to accept his argument.

I'm fine with this sort of gesture and although you don't "right" this sort of "wrong", it's about as good as you can do.

That said, the problem would be the time elapsed and the burden on tax payers that had absolutely nothing to do with this.

They certainly could argue that this really isn't fair to them because ancestral crimes don't exist, you don't inherit guilt.

So, yes to the government, with the consideration that this should be done in a way so as to cause the least amount of harm to present day tax payers -- some of which would be African American.

That's not talking about the feasibility of implementation, which I have not spend much time on.

It’s important to remember that the alternative to having your ancestors brought to the USA would be to have to live in modern Africa. So by most measures, modern African Americans have benefitted tremendously that their ancestors were slaves.

This could be true, but we didn't ask permission. It was a gross violation of personal autonomy, a foundational consideration in the concept of what is a "natural right."

The reason you couldn't kidnap a man, give him 5000 dollars, and expect not to be prosecuted.

All current African Americans might be dead before this type of law survived legally challenges and the formula used for determining if you are “Black Enough”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT