ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Long has a Lot to Say about the Iowa Offense

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This is a really good HawkeyeReport Podcast.

The first 10 minutes they talk about the items that are part of the Chuck Long Charity Auction.

At the 10:15 minute mark, Chuck Long talks about the offense & that it has to get better.

He said Brian has to develop as a QB coach this spring. Chuck says coaching at that position is very difficult.

They discussed Brian calling the Iowa QB a facilitator. Chuck said that this is another word for game manager. Chuck said this is what Iowa wants from the Iowa QB: manage the game, don't make mistakes. Chuck says the issue is the running game, which is not where it needs to be to have a QB to just manage the football. Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position. A guy like Mahomes. A guy that can extend plays with his legs and get out of the pocket and make that play.

Well, folks, Labas has been described as Mahomes like. ;)

Regarding it taking 18 months to learn the Iowa offense: Chuck said this makes sense since the Iowa system asks the QB to get them into the right play. This is what happens at the pro level, of course, and Iowa runs a pro system. Chuck says at the collegiate level it takes players longer to master this. Chuck said Iowa's system is not good, bad, or indifferent. Chuck said when he coached he tried to take as much off the QB as possible and just let them play.

We've heard that Iowa has simplified the offense. Tom asked Chuck what that meant. Chuck said it's 2 fold: (1) they have probably taken some audibles & some responsibility off the QB. So the sideline coach might be getting them into the right protection & another coach will get them into the right play & (2) you have a new center, so they might be trying to simplify the center's responsibilities. The center traditionally in the Iowa offense makes a lot of calls, sometimes even the play call. The center has to ID the mic LB, for example (when the center points, that's who he is pointing at; the OL blocks the 4 down linemen & the mic LB; the backs & QBs have to handle the rest).

Chuck said that schematically they have to increase what they are doing because they are not moving the ball with what they are doing now. Chuck said Iowa needs to find new schemes in the passing game to open up the running game. Simplification of the offense does not mean less schemes. He said Iowa needs to add schemes but just have less on the QB's plate and on the center's plate.

Schematically in Saturday's Spring Game? Chuck said it will be very vanilla, where Iowa won't show a ton. Chuck said Clown U and the B1G West teams will have people there watching.

Chuck said to expect #1 reps for all 3 QBs. Chuck mentioned everyone wants to see Joe & see what he can do. Joe was not part of last year's Spring game, of course; he's only been on campus 10 months.

LINK to Listen:

Chuck has all the evidence on his side. He's talking about an offense that ranked #121 of 130 teams last season and that has been poor for years. Maybe some posters should stop being KF apologists. This offense is, to use an Iowa term, bullshit. And most people who know a lick about football recognize that reality. We don't like it, but we do recognize it, which is the first step in fixing it. KF and BF don't appear to be there yet . . . but then it's only been 23 years for KF.

And anyone who thinks the QB "competition" is fair hasn't paid attention the last couple of decades either. It's Petras or bust. And we know how that worked out last year. The defense won games. The special teams won games. The offense stunk it up. Plain and simple.

This is a really good HawkeyeReport Podcast.

The first 10 minutes they talk about the items that are part of the Chuck Long Charity Auction.

At the 10:15 minute mark, Chuck Long talks about the offense & that it has to get better.

He said Brian has to develop as a QB coach this spring. Chuck says coaching at that position is very difficult.

They discussed Brian calling the Iowa QB a facilitator. Chuck said that this is another word for game manager. Chuck said this is what Iowa wants from the Iowa QB: manage the game, don't make mistakes. Chuck says the issue is the running game, which is not where it needs to be to have a QB to just manage the football. Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position. A guy like Mahomes. A guy that can extend plays with his legs and get out of the pocket and make that play.

Well, folks, Labas has been described as Mahomes like. ;)

Regarding it taking 18 months to learn the Iowa offense: Chuck said this makes sense since the Iowa system asks the QB to get them into the right play. This is what happens at the pro level, of course, and Iowa runs a pro system. Chuck says at the collegiate level it takes players longer to master this. Chuck said Iowa's system is not good, bad, or indifferent. Chuck said when he coached he tried to take as much off the QB as possible and just let them play.

We've heard that Iowa has simplified the offense. Tom asked Chuck what that meant. Chuck said it's 2 fold: (1) they have probably taken some audibles & some responsibility off the QB. So the sideline coach might be getting them into the right protection & another coach will get them into the right play & (2) you have a new center, so they might be trying to simplify the center's responsibilities. The center traditionally in the Iowa offense makes a lot of calls, sometimes even the play call. The center has to ID the mic LB, for example (when the center points, that's who he is pointing at; the OL blocks the 4 down linemen & the mic LB; the backs & QBs have to handle the rest).

Chuck said that schematically they have to increase what they are doing because they are not moving the ball with what they are doing now. Chuck said Iowa needs to find new schemes in the passing game to open up the running game. Simplification of the offense does not mean less schemes. He said Iowa needs to add schemes but just have less on the QB's plate and on the center's plate.

Schematically in Saturday's Spring Game? Chuck said it will be very vanilla, where Iowa won't show a ton. Chuck said Clown U and the B1G West teams will have people there watching.

Chuck said to expect #1 reps for all 3 QBs. Chuck mentioned everyone wants to see Joe & see what he can do. Joe was not part of last year's Spring game, of course; he's only been on campus 10 months.

LINK to Listen:

Interesting. So, pretty much what a lot of us have been saying for a few years now.

Will the usual suspects be calling the greatest Iowa quarterback ever “idiot,” “Ferentz hater,” or ?? 🤔

Chuck has all the evidence on his side. He's talking about an offense that ranked #121 of 130 teams last season and that has been poor for years. Maybe some posters should stop being KF apologists. This offense is, to use an Iowa term, bullshit. And most people who know a lick about football recognize that reality. We don't like it, but we do recognize it, which is the first step in fixing it. KF and BF don't appear to be there yet . . . but then it's only been 23 years for KF.

And anyone who thinks the QB "competition" is fair hasn't paid attention the last couple of decades either. It's Petras or bust. And we know how that worked out last year. The defense won games. The special teams won games. The offense stunk it up. Plain and simple.
The definition of insanity…

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and PIEPI
So the offense is really, really complicated. Ok. But hey, at least it's ineffective.

Well, it all starts with a solid OL. Last year's OL struggled & was leaky.

And then you need a solid running game. Chuck said the issue with the offense is the running game, which is not where it needs to be.

And then you need a QB to just manage the football. Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position. A guy that can extend plays with his legs and get out of the pocket and make that play.

So, there's plenty of blame to go around on why the Iowa offense struggled last season.

If Chuck Long is a coaching genius, how did he do so poorly as HC and why isn’t he still coaching???

Interesting. So, pretty much what a lot of us have been saying for a few years now.

Will the usual suspects be calling the greatest Iowa quarterback ever “idiot,” “Ferentz hater,” or ?? 🤔

The definition of insanity…

Actually, what most people have been saying for years on Hawkeye Report is that somebody sucks, the offense sucks, Brian sucks, and that's about it. Conversely, Chuck said Iowa's system is not good, bad, or indifferent. Iowa is not the only school that runs a pro style offense in college.

And people bitched when they heard recently that it took 18 months to learn the Iowa pro style offense: Well, Chuck basically called all of those posters ignorant when he said that it makes sense since the Iowa system asks the QB to get them into the right play. Chuck says at the collegiate level it takes players longer to master this.

And you call it insanity to not make any changes. Well, from all accounts, they have made changes this spring; and one of the changes is to make the offense less complicated.

Tell me about this “unfair” quarterback competition… I always enjoy it when the people with facts and details come in and run it in the ground….

If Chuck Long is a coaching genius, how did he do so poorly as HC and why isn’t he still coaching???
Yes to this, to an extent. Long was a good assistant at Iowa and OU, or at least was on teams that won. His track record as a head coach and San Diego State and a coordinator at Kansas was abysmal. SDSU was 9-27 and at Kansas while Long was there they were 5-19 and 1-16 in conference games. They put forth terrible offensive teams at both places. That likely is more to talent than necessarily coaching, but I don't think KF is losing one minute of sleep worrying about what criticisms Chuck Long has of him or his offense.

Actually, I see this a different way… Hell of a quarterback, lost plenty of games all the same, scoring scant few points in several of them.

Went on to be a decent offensive coordinator then a head coach we’re he failed miserably and now he’s on the outside looking in and has plenty of great ideas but apparently couldn’t implement them all himself…interesting right?

So bringing us back full circle; the people on the outside looking in, always think it looks easy….

So in this instance I think Chuck long is a perfect example of how easy it is in theory and how hard it is an application. But I doubt that message will get to the people it needs to get to….don’t you?

Last edited:
I didn't listen to the podcast, but the points highlighted by OP are spot on - most of them previously hashed put on this board hundreds of times.

Iowa not only wants to run the ball, they HAVE to run the ball. If the defense can stop the run with 6 guys in the box then the passing game isn't going to work very well either. So, unless you have a playmaker at QB the offense is going to stink. Iowa doesn't have one of those.

Actually, I see this a different way… Hell of a quarterback, lost plenty of games all the same, scoring scant few points in several of them.

Went on to be a decent offensive coordinator then a head coach we’re he failed miserably and now he’s on the outside looking in and has plenty of great ideas but apparently couldn’t implement them all himself…interesting right?

So bringing us back full circle; the people on the outside looking in, always think it looks easy….

So in this instance I think Chuck long is a perfect example of how easy it is in theory and how hard it is an application. But I doubt that message will get to the people it needs to get to….don’t you?
Yep - Chuck is my fav Iowa player all time (see avatar), but you are right. But that doesn't make him wrong.

I've said it a hundred times - playing, coaching and analyzing are three different skills. Some guys have all 3, but usually it's one or two.

I didn't listen to the podcast, but the points highlighted by OP are spot on - most of them previously hashed put on this board hundreds of times.

Iowa not only wants to run the ball, they HAVE to run the ball. If the defense can stop the run with 6 guys in the box then the passing game isn't going to work very well either. So, unless you have a playmaker at QB the offense is going to stink. Iowa doesn't have one of those.

Honestly though even if you have a “playmaker” at quarterback don’t you think you still need to be able to run the ball…?

I don’t like the Green Bay Packers and I’ve never cared much for Aaron Rodgers as a person I think he’s a super douche. But up until Tom Brady‘s last couple championships. I would’ve begrudgingly said Aaron Rodgers was maybe the best quarterback of all time.

But as I have a fleshed it over the last few years. He is part of the problem…he appears to routinely check out of running plays to throw the ball when quite frankly they’re running game when they use it has been pretty damn good…

Moral of the story, there’s a whole lot going on that even the most knowledgeable of fans don’t get from the couch or stands!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
We ran the ball for over 5 ypc in the bowl and didn't allow a sack, Our defense kept our opponent under 21 points and we still found a way to lose the game.

It isn't the Lines fault because the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, it isn't the QBs fault because the play calling makes vanilla ice cream look exciting, it isn't the play calling because our line can't block.

It's all circular bullshit. Our line would look better if our QB could make accurate quick throws and slow a pass rush down. Our running game wasn't terrible and would have been better If the defense had to respect our passing attack at all. KF needs to get past the 1990s mold of QBs.

Yep - Chuck is my fav Iowa player all time (see avatar), but you are right. But that doesn't make him wrong.

I've said it a hundred times - playing, coaching and analyzing are three different skills. Some guys have all 3, but usually it's one or two.

Dead on brother !

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

yes they do.

Joe Lay Bus. Well, it's Labas, but pronounced Lay Bus.

time to get on the bus!!!

Brian made it pretty clear that they won't name the QB1 until the fall.

That sounds like they are being fair to me.
I’d say not naming a starter is due to the fear of one or more qb’s transferring out if Labas is named the starter over Petras and Padilla. Add in Hogan transferred out after last season with a green rookie in May coming in this summer and you’ve got a recipe for disaster should injuries occur at the position.

Reactions: jamhawk
We ran the ball for over 5 ypc in the bowl and didn't allow a sack, Our defense kept our opponent under 21 points and we still found a way to lose the game.

It isn't the Lines fault because the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, it isn't the QBs fault because the play calling makes vanilla ice cream look exciting, it isn't the play calling because our line can't block.

It's all circular bullshit. Our line would look better if our QB could make accurate quick throws and slow a pass rush down. Our running game wasn't terrible and would have been better If the defense had to respect our passing attack at all. KF needs to get past the 1990s mold of QBs.

Actually your main thrust was the most accurate it’s all circular bullshit one leads to the other into the other into the other into the other…..

However while you’re fired up and ready to tackle problems let’s get the rating services on board too and have them quit rating 90s style quarterbacks like Spencer Petras at 4-stars, right?

Well, from all accounts, they have made changes this spring;
This makes me cautiously optimistic.

FTR, I wasn't talking about the fans who bitch just to bitch. I'm talking about the fans who (e.g.) voiced concerns even when Iowa was winning at the beginning of the year because of obvious red flags. My point was you can voice concerns and disagreements and still be a "good" fan. As I've always maintained, Kirk gets way more right than he ever does wrong, but that doesn't mean there aren't a couple things that are...perplexing and frustrating.

So, I think there can be a happy medium between being a homer and a complete Debbie Downer while understanding this level of football is extremely competitive, Iowa's opponents are trying to win just as much, and that it ain't easy.

And then you need a solid running game. Chuck said the issue with the offense is the running game, which is not where it needs to be.

And then you need a QB to just manage the football. Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position. A guy that can extend plays with his legs and get out of the pocket and make that play.

So, there's plenty of blame to go around on why the Iowa offense struggled last season.
Rewatch the bowl game

I'll just address this because it is ridiculous to compare the era Chuck Long played in to today, or to make the connection that because Long was a good quarterback in college means he will make a good coach wherever he goes, and if he doesn't make a good coach (for whatever reasons), that somehow his football acumen is then diminished.

What Chuck Long spoke about, IMO, is pretty common sense. To put it succinctly, if you want to have a game manger at quarterback, you better have a solid running game and a dominant OL behind him (I would add accuracy is important too). I'm really not sure how that is controversial.

Now, do I understand the average fan doesn't get nuance or how real football is different than XBox 360? Absolutely. That still doesn't change the fact Iowa was at the bottom of college football in offense and that that result should be unacceptable.

Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position.
This is just pathetic for someone to say out loud in 2022

You need the QB to be a playmaker irrespective of the running game. Said differently: you need the QB to be a playmaker even if you have a great running game.

-- a QB who is good at sensing rush pressure and protection breakdown
-- a QB is capable of scrambling away from pressure and avoiding sacks
-- a QB who is able to tuck and run for a positive gain when receivers are covered

With few exceptions (Beathard, Tate, Banks), Iowa QBs under Ferent have been woefully deficient in the above traits (Vandenberg, Stanley, Petras, many others). Cement-booted QBs who ended up with NEGATIVE or close to negative career rushiing yards. Sitting duck targets for blitzing LBs.

Iowa doesn't need a Russell Wilson/Marcus Mariotta type QB to be much more effective IMO. Iowa needs a QB with a decent arm who can run a fvckn 5.0 forty and smart enough to run the goddamn ball for a gain, preferably a 1st down, 3,4,5 times per game in order to keep drives alive and keep the defenders honest instead of cannon-shot missiles aimed at a fence post.

Chuck Long talks about the offense & that it has to get better.
He said Brian has to develop as a QB coach this spring.
Chuck says coaching at that position is very difficult.
They discussed Brian calling the Iowa QB a facilitator.
Chuck said that this is another word for game manager.
Chuck said this is what Iowa wants from the Iowa QB: manage the game, don't make mistakes.
Chuck says the issue is the running game, which is not where it needs to be to have a QB to just manage the football.

Chuck said when you don't have that great running game, now you need a playmaker at the QB position.
Chuck said this makes sense since the Iowa system asks the QB to get them into the right play. This is what happens at the pro level, of course, and Iowa runs a pro system.
Chuck says at the collegiate level it takes players longer to master this. Chuck said Iowa's system is not good, bad, or indifferent. Chuck said when he coached he tried to take as much off the QB as possible and just let them play.
It truly boggles my mind that people find this insightful in any way and not something that anyone with a basic understanding of what they're watching on Saturday doesn't already know.

Reactions: LGEND24 and nu2u
Guy with a career .292 conference winning percentage criticizing the guy with a .582 conference winning ptg.

And half you morons eat it up.

Reactions: Hawkbiz and oxHawk
The line about the running game not being where it needs to be hits it in the head in my opinion.
Wisconsin has won games with average/poor QB play, but the difference is they have pro backs and better performing OL units (Iowa probably has better individuals over the past decade or so). When the backs are slamming for 5-6 yards a carry, it’s easy to not throw picks and take your 150 yards passing and win.
When roughly 1/3 of your running plays on 1st down go for negative or 1 yard, then a game manager is not going to cut it.
Beathard and to some degree Stanley had an ability to run and make plays off schedule, and we won at a great rate with them running the show. Asking Petras/Padilla to simply not turn the ball over is recipe for an offense ranked on the 90s or 100s again, unless the OL/backs show major improvement in the run game.

Chuck likes to sit back and make observations that are blatantly obvious. Definitely has an axe to grind.

Coaches should adjust to the players for success.

If I wanted to become a high paid stripper, sure I could work on my dance moves until I was Chris Farley awesome. Or I could find a target audience with vision problems or low expectations. Guess which one will have me eating steak first?

Brian made it pretty clear that they won't name the QB1 until the fall.

That sounds like they are being fair

I’d say not naming a starter is due to the fear of one or more qb’s transferring out if Labas is named the starter over Petras and Padilla. Add in Hogan transferred out after last season with a green rookie in May coming in this summer and you’ve got a recipe for disaster should injuries occur at the position.
This 100%. I would be shocked is SP isn't the starter

ADVERTISEMENT