ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Long has a Lot to Say about the Iowa Offense

Yeah dammit. 10-2. We should have been 13-0 Kirk!!!!!!!! And all you guys tell your wives they need to lose 10 more pounds while they are at it too. We are all seeking to be better right!
Uh 10-4

avg 1.5 offensive TD per game for the last 8 games iirc. That's not even mediocre...it's pathetic. But keep supporting one of the WORST P5 offenses because Phil parker is the man...

While the overall message might be no different than what's been discussed for ages, it is good to see a couple details come out in terms of moving play-calling from both qb and center to the sidelines. that is something more concrete that has been divulged prior.
I'm all for simpler believe me.

But, if the entire offense comes to the line, then stands up to look at the sidelines, I'm going to throw up.

But, after puking, I'll be hoping it works.

You are so off base it is pathetic. He has made many valid comments. A decade worth of an underproducing offense is fine with you I guess.
Nobody was happy with the offense last year, including Kirk, Brian and Spencer. Some of the reasons it happened were Kirk’s fault, Brian’s fault, etc and they did what they could do to win games. You have to let them fix it this year since they won 10 games.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Chuck said the coaches ”won’t show much” tomorrow as other teams will be taking note. Expect the 1s to not get many reps and the younger guys to be highlighted maybe?

Reactions: Franisdaman
If Chuck Long is a coaching genius, how did he do so poorly as HC and why isn’t he still coaching???
I'll take Chuck's qb and offense expertise over Kirk and Brian all day long. Kirk is great at player development, hiring great d and special teams coaches. Offense, no.

I'll take Chuck's qb and offense expertise over Kirk and Brian all day long. Kirk is great at player development, hiring great d and special teams coaches. Offense, no.
No.

In running a football program, a management role, you take Kirk. Those who disagree may have married their cousins and eventually that is going to keep the kids out of college.

Honestly on what? His one SUCCESSFUL OC stint @Ou, with an also extreme defense?

Maybe one of the last really stout Oklahoma defenses in the last 20 years… ?!

I listened to the podcast and took no issue with what Chuck had to say. His insight may not have been revolutionary, but he knows more than most on this board when it comes to football. His critique of the offense was valid, but he did it in a way to not slam the current coaching staff and players.

dyyyy.jpg
Just a new moran trying to find his way. 😀

No.

In running a football program, a management role, you take Kirk. Those who disagree may have married their cousins and eventually that is going to keep the kids out of college.
Obviously you take Kirk for those roles. I was talking about offense. That's all I was talking about, QB coaching and offense.

Last edited:
It truly boggles my mind that people find this insightful in any way and not something that anyone with a basic understanding of what they're watching on Saturday doesn't already know.

I am guessing you didn't listen to the podcast yet you conclude it was not insightful.

Chuck is just doing the exact same thing that happens on here time after time after time. He's having a discussion with Tom about Iowa's offense & what he thinks they need to do to improve. But Chuck has a lot more credibility than anyone on here because he's played the game at the highest level.

The line about the running game not being where it needs to be hits it in the head in my opinion.
Wisconsin has won games with average/poor QB play, but the difference is they have pro backs and better performing OL units (Iowa probably has better individuals over the past decade or so). When the backs are slamming for 5-6 yards a carry, it’s easy to not throw picks and take your 150 yards passing and win.
When roughly 1/3 of your running plays on 1st down go for negative or 1 yard, then a game manager is not going to cut it.
Beathard and to some degree Stanley had an ability to run and make plays off schedule, and we won at a great rate with them running the show. Asking Petras/Padilla to simply not turn the ball over is recipe for an offense ranked on the 90s or 100s again, unless the OL/backs show major improvement in the run game.

agreed.

yet all of the focus on here is on the QB.

I just shake my head at those bashing Chuck Long. No, he was not a very good head coach. But he was one of the greatest college QB’s of all time and definitely the best Iowa has ever had. He still knows more about football than anyone in this thread.

I’ll take his opinion over the yahoos on this board.

Yeah, and can you imagine one of these yahoo's meeting Chuck in person? Do you think if Chuck & the yahoo started talking about Iowa's offense, the yahoo would say, "I already know everything I need to know about Iowa's offense, Chuck. I read the message boards."

Also Hall of Fame coach Bobby stoops and future Hall of Fame Coach Lincoln Riley between the two of them somehow managed to a amass 10 or 11 losses in 12 seasons to double digit underdogs….

It is what it is….at the end of the day you settle in and try to enjoy your favorite sports team or you continue to be upset because they haven’t done enough!

with all the advantages OU has, it is surprising that their last National Championship was in 2000.

I guess that validates what many fans have been saying. Yet these same fans get berated by members of the Sunshine Club and other Superfans who think Kirk does no wrong.

Neither you or anyone else here can attribute Chuck’s motives as having “an ax to grind.” You don’t know that.
Maybe we should just "axe" him and find out...

I am one who bashed CL for his criticisms. I am deaf so can’t listen to podcast and was going on what was written in posts

in hindsight, Chuck was repeating a lot of what KF and Brian have said. The need to improve running game is key No one can argue that. If your OL can’t block we’ll, no offense is going to perform well.
As far as QB being playmaker instead of manager, well Chuck just had to give ball to Ronnie Harmon and let him make plays. Iowa hasn’t had a playmaker of his ability since he graduated, regardless of what people say about his Rose Bowl fumbles Hopefully the OL improves and Iowa develops their running game and the QB is given time to pass. The closest guy to being a playmaker is Arland Bruce, IMO.
Will see if he is given opportunities

Brian made it pretty clear that they won't name the QB1 until the fall.

That sounds like they are being fair to me.

There’s a lot of confirmation bias around this now. Apparently Kirk and Brian will start Petras just to piss off the fans.

We ran the ball for over 5 ypc in the bowl and didn't allow a sack, Our defense kept our opponent under 21 points and we still found a way to lose the game.

It isn't the Lines fault because the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, it isn't the QBs fault because the play calling makes vanilla ice cream look exciting, it isn't the play calling because our line can't block.

It's all circular bullshit. Our line would look better if our QB could make accurate quick throws and slow a pass rush down. Our running game wasn't terrible and would have been better If the defense had to respect our passing attack at all. KF needs to get past the 1990s mold of QBs.

Yup, Petras was a big part of why they lost that game, agreed. To be fair tho, I’ll add that even tho the D didn’t give up a ton of points, they had trouble getting off the field, Kentucky had the ball for near 40 minutes.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Honestly on what? His one SUCCESSFUL OC stint @Ou, with an also extreme defense?

Yeah the offenses of the early Stoops years at OU were great. They won a national title. If credit is going to be given for that (other than to Stoops and the staff for recruiting great players) I would lean toward Mangino. The fat man could coach. He went to Kansas and took perhaps the worst program in a power conference to an Orange Bowl. Once Long and Mangino got their own coaching gigs away from OU, the results were quite different.

People need to parse what Long says about Iowa under KF. There are definite elements of truth to the criticisms of the iowa offense. Anyone with eyes can see the Iowa offense was not good. It was ridiculous how pitiful Iowa looked at times on offense. But as I've said before, the Iowa staff isn't going to be seeking out Long for advice, nor should they be.

Incorrect.

When he talked about how Iowa might simplify the offense, he brought up 2 interesting ways to do that. Sound like Copernicus to me! ;)
So 1) take some responsibility away from QB and 2) take some responsibility away from the center. And give it to who? BF? Copernicus dealt with celestial bodies in the heavens. Figuring out ways to not run 2 straight FB dives, while difficult in itself, is not quite on that level. 🤪

His one successful CO oc stint. Mangino and Wilson had a part as well

I am one who bashed CL for his criticisms. I am deaf so can’t listen to podcast and was going on what was written in posts

in hindsight, Chuck was repeating a lot of what KF and Brian have said. The need to improve running game is key No one can argue that. If your OL can’t block we’ll, no offense is going to perform well.
As far as QB being playmaker instead of manager, well Chuck just had to give ball to Ronnie Harmon and let him make plays. Iowa hasn’t had a playmaker of his ability since he graduated, regardless of what people say about his Rose Bowl fumbles Hopefully the OL improves and Iowa develops their running game and the QB is given time to pass. The closest guy to being a playmaker is Arland Bruce, IMO.
Will see if he is given opportunities

Long threw for around 8000 yards to players NOT named Ronnie Harmon. But yes, Harmon was a special talent.

Long threw for around 8000 yards to players NOT named Ronnie Harmon. But yes, Harmon was a special talent.
To be fair he also started for most of FOUR years so some context is in order. How many FOUR year starters have played QB for Iowa. Oh, I know, NONE. The closest was some guy named Nate Stanley who made a run at Longs TD record and threw for almost 9000 yds. You know the same guy so many here thought sucked. If this board had been around when we lost at OSU in 85 people here would have been shredding Long also, not to mention his "Heisman worthy" performance in that 12-10 squeeker against Michigan...

To be fair he also started for most of FOUR years so some context is in order. How many FOUR year starters have played QB for Iowa. Oh, I know, NONE. The closest was some guy named Nate Stanley who made a run at Longs TD record and threw for almost 9000 yds. You know the same guy so many here thought sucked. If this board had been around when we lost at OSU in 85 people here would have been shredding Long also, not to mention his "Heisman worthy" performance in that 12-10 squeeker against Michigan...

Matt Sherman kid from the Dwight years started as a true freshman and each of the three later years. Otherwise, no one. Many of the same things were said about Nate as are now said about Spencer, without any real foundation, unlike Spencer. Second in career yardage, second career TDS, first in TD/Int ratio by a mile. Tied for most wins by a three year starter. That is clearly an outstanding career.

Spencer, not so much. I think, could be wrong, that Nate threw more TDs his first season as a starter than Spencer has in his career. Those two guys should never be compared.

You realize that offenses have evolved since 85 right? Even Iowa’s? We see QBs (not at Iowa) get 4000 yards in a single year regularly now.

You realize that offenses have evolved since 85 right? Even Iowa’s? We see QBs (not at Iowa) get 4000 yards in a single year regularly now.

Exactly. I recently bought a bottle of Terry Bradshaw Bourbon (it is actually pretty good). It is 51.9 % alcohol because that was his career completion percentage. I remember Iowa's passing game of the Long era seemed revolutionary having grown up learning football in an era where everyone ran some version of an option offense and a 5-man front on defense.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

My response was to his statement that all Long had to do was hand the ball off to Harmon. Where is NS playing these days?

My response was to his statement that all Long had to do was hand the ball off to Harmon. Where is NS playing these days?
I'm not sure the relevance of where Stanley is now. For being a 1st round draft pick, Longs pro career was hardly memorable, (and I'm well aware that Detroit was a horrible option for Longs skills). I just think fans get caught up in the Lore of Longs career much like they do with coach Fry to the detriment of current players and what they accomplish. When you consider Longs four year career his numbers aren't much different then Stanleys, who took a great deal of grief here. I honestly feel that if Stanley or Drew Tate and maybe some others had started for four years the Iowa record book would look a lot different then it does today. The major thing many liked about Long was his accuracy, and yet he had 28 interceptions in his last two years, something Fry dealt with but would have driven KF up the wall.

ADVERTISEMENT