ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Long has a Lot to Say about the Iowa Offense

You realize that offenses have evolved since 85 right? Even Iowa’s? We see QBs (not at Iowa) get 4000 yards in a single year regularly now.
Fair enough, BUT I'd be willing to bet that DB,s are WAY more athletic then they were in the 80's as well, and they've adapting to the changes in offensive football. Its all relative to the time in which they played. Hell for all the grief that stanley took for being "non athletic" He's twice the athlete that Long was, and Chuck even said as much himself previously......

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
I missed something 'ax' is the proper spelling for what?
It is an acceptable spelling for axe. Can be spelled either ax or axe. Both are correct.

Axe is the most popular spelling currently, although in the late 20th century ax was used more frequently than today.

It is an acceptable spelling for axe. Can be spelled either ax or axe. Both are correct.

Axe is the most popular spelling currently, although in the late 20th century ax was used more frequently than today.
So how was ax used in this forum? Not a ton of ax or axe in football. Unless it's coaches getting axed.

So how was ax used in this forum? Not a ton of ax or axe in football. Unless it's coaches getting axed.
Having an ax to grind.

I spelled it ax. Someone implied that my spelling was incorrect. I proved them wrong.

I am one who bashed CL for his criticisms. I am deaf so can’t listen to podcast and was going on what was written in posts

in hindsight, Chuck was repeating a lot of what KF and Brian have said. The need to improve running game is key No one can argue that. If your OL can’t block we’ll, no offense is going to perform well.
As far as QB being playmaker instead of manager, well Chuck just had to give ball to Ronnie Harmon and let him make plays. Iowa hasn’t had a playmaker of his ability since he graduated, regardless of what people say about his Rose Bowl fumbles Hopefully the OL improves and Iowa develops their running game and the QB is given time to pass. The closest guy to being a playmaker is Arland Bruce, IMO.
Will see if he is given opportunities
Tim Dwight says, "Hi-ya" on the playmaker thing...

You implied it was spelling...
Then why did you spell it “axe” with quotation marks if it had nothing to do with spelling? Personally I think you are just covering your tracks.

The only other reason for framing your statement like you did is to make fun of people who say ax instead of ask. Then again, you could have spelled it ax and not axe with quotation marks…..unless you were trying to emphasize the spelling. Just sayin’. ;)

Then why did you spell it “axe” with quotation marks if it had nothing to do with spelling? Personally I think you are just covering your tracks.

The only other reason for framing your statement like you did is to make fun of people who say ax instead of ask. Then again, you could have spelled it ax and not axe with quotation marks…..unless you were trying to emphasize the spelling. Just sayin’. ;)
Not covering anything. I meant "axe" as "ask". You FINALLY got it.

Not covering anything. I meant "axe" as "ask". You FINALLY got it.
No, I knew that was one of the reasons. I didn’t “finally” get it.
But it is curious that you used a different spelling than I did, and put it in quotation marks.

I'm not sure the relevance of where Stanley is now. For being a 1st round draft pick, Longs pro career was hardly memorable, (and I'm well aware that Detroit was a horrible option for Longs skills). I just think fans get caught up in the Lore of Longs career much like they do with coach Fry to the detriment of current players and what they accomplish. When you consider Longs four year career his numbers aren't much different then Stanleys, who took a great deal of grief here. I honestly feel that if Stanley or Drew Tate and maybe some others had started for four years the Iowa record book would look a lot different then it does today. The major thing many liked about Long was his accuracy, and yet he had 28 interceptions in his last two years, something Fry dealt with but would have driven KF up the wall.
And he had Ronnie Harmon to throw to. We don’t have a receiver like him or a RB like him.

Interesting. So are going to 'line up,' then everyone look over to the side at 5 random people holding memes and logos to send in the play? Always seemed like a circus to me and why isn't that a false start on the OL who are set then stand up or rock back while looking over there too?
I've been asking that for years. Nobody seems to have an answer. I think it gives the offense an advantage because the D doesn't know if movement is to look for a play change or is the start of the play. It defeats the purpose of the false start rule.

Yup, Petras was a big part of why they lost that game, agreed. To be fair tho, I’ll add that even tho the D didn’t give up a ton of points, they had trouble getting off the field, Kentucky had the ball for near 40 minutes.
I always enjoy your comments and views but trouble getting off the field to me makes no sense. I don't recall how many 3 and outs we had but that would play a major part in not getting off the field. Plus, our bend don't break also contributes to that as well. I'm by no means a football guru at all.
I hope Spencer Petras can figure some of this out but I also feel KF tries to make fans look like idiots by saying if Labas can get the team up to the line of scrimmage and get a play off that is success. To me that makes Joe Labas look like he can't even count to 11.

I always enjoy your comments and views but trouble getting off the field to me makes no sense. I don't recall how many 3 and outs we had but that would play a major part in not getting off the field. Plus, our bend don't break also contributes to that as well. I'm by no means a football guru at all.
I hope Spencer Petras can figure some of this out but I also feel KF tries to make fans look like idiots by saying if Labas can get the team up to the line of scrimmage and get a play off that is success. To me that makes Joe Labas look like he can't even count to 11.
it’s not a matter of getting 3 and outs, and yes the offense struggling can contribute to it…but Iowa from a yardage pov, actually had one of their best days on the year, and actually outgained Kentucky on the day. Iowas defense similarly had trouble getting Minnesota off the field, but the offense managed to hit enough big plays to still win. It’s not required to dominate T.O.P to win, but it gets a lot harder when you lose it by that much. Most of the time, Iowa has been good about forcing punts and getting off the field.

Iowa normally wins when it controls the time of possession. Our style of play means we have to score when we have opportunities to do so, and in the games we won last year, we scored off turnovers, short fields and special teams. In the games we lost, we failed in those areas. It’s easy to forget in the drubbing we took from Michigan that we got inside the 10 on our first two possessions, but only got 3 points. Who knows what happens if we don’t overthrow the FB on that perfectly called halfback pass.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
it’s not a matter of getting 3 and outs, and yes the offense struggling can contribute to it…but Iowa from a yardage pov, actually had one of their best days on the year, and actually outgained Kentucky on the day. Iowas defense similarly had trouble getting Minnesota off the field, but the offense managed to hit enough big plays to still win. It’s not required to dominate T.O.P to win, but it gets a lot harder when you lose it by that much. Most of the time, Iowa has been good about forcing punts and getting off the field.

Iowa normally wins when it controls the time of possession. Our style of play means we have to score when we have opportunities to do so, and in the games we won last year, we scored off turnovers, short fields and special teams. In the games we lost, we failed in those areas. It’s easy to forget in the drubbing we took from Michigan that we got inside the 10 on our first two possessions, but only got 3 points. Who knows what happens if we don’t overthrow the FB on that perfectly called halfback pass.
The thing about the Kentucky game….twice Iowa had the ball, with the lead, late in the game. A couple of first downs would have won it, but instead the offense stalled. On the Hawks’ second to last possession, just one first down probably would have iced it.

The thing about the Kentucky game….twice Iowa had the ball, with the lead, late in the game. A couple of first downs would have won it, but instead the offense stalled. On the Hawks’ second to last possession, just one first down probably would have iced it.

Agreed… and then Taylor shockingly put a punt n the end zone when 90% of the time this year he’s been putting it inside the 15 for sure, more like the 10!

Reactions: sober_teacher

Absolutely. Quite frankly if Linderbaum hadn’t gotten knocked out for a series we would have.

Just saying that it was also far from a stellar game by the defense as well.

We actually didn’t play particularly great in that game, IMO.

Actually your main thrust was the most accurate it’s all circular bullshit one leads to the other into the other into the other into the other…..

However while you’re fired up and ready to tackle problems let’s get the rating services on board too and have them quit rating 90s style quarterbacks like Spencer Petras at 4-stars, right?

whoever rated him 4 stars didnt evaluate him throwing on the run, determining his accuracy and placed zero importance on being at least quicker than a defensive lineman, which Petras isn’t.

Incomplete and half assed evaluation, at best.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
whoever rated him 4 stars didnt evaluate him throwing on the run, determining his accuracy and placed zero importance on being at least quicker than a defensive lineman, which Petras isn’t.

Incomplete and half assed evaluation, at best.
Congrats for figuring out that recruiting rankings are far from foolproof.

Doesn’t change the fact that he was highly recruited out of high school, after breaking several passing records set by former #1 overall pick Jared Goff.

There’s not one single poster here who has said Petras doesn’t have his flaws. The question now is whether he can fix them, or whether one or the other QBs on the roster can catch up to him.

Reactions: cmhawks99
There’s not one single poster here who has said Petras doesn’t have his flaws. The question now is whether he can fix them, or whether one or the other QBs on the roster can catch up to him.

Unless KF decides he wants Labas to be #1, which means committing to him right now and making sure once fall camp begins he gets starter reps in practice, then expect to see Petras lining up under center once the season begins.

There’s just no way Labas or AP will “catch up” based on how KF has traditionally run its QB “competition”. Not without Petras getting injured anyway.

I think we all better accept that fact right now.

Unless KF decides he wants Labas to be #1, which means committing to him right now and making sure once fall camp begins he gets starter reps in practice, then expect to see Petras lining up under center once the season begins.

There’s just no way Labas or AP will “catch up” based on how KF has traditionally run its QB “competition”. Not without Petras getting injured anyway.

Explain to me how a coach of 24 years has improved his team chemistry, team dynamic, & ultimately record. All while running a “rigged“ quarterback competition?

I believe we’re all pretty convinced when dirty or underhanded things happen in team or business management usually the employees don’t go along with it… So are you saying these kids on the team are stupid and don’t know better or they don’t care?

There is no QB competition. It’s a coaching ploy to keep Padilla and Labas involved and motivated.

Im gonna ask the same question to you. Quite frankly because I’m super interested in how you explain away a basic fundamental of human nature…..

Explain to me how a coach of 24 years has improved his team chemistry, team dynamic, & ultimately record. All while running a “rigged“ quarterback competition?

I believe we’re all pretty convinced when dirty or underhanded things happen in team or business management usually the employees don’t go along with it… So are you saying these kids on the team are stupid and don’t know better or they don’t care?

Has to be something because you message board heroes are convinced it’s not a fair competition and yet team morale is better than ever… Something ain’t flying and I need answers?

otherwise it’s just more stupid opinions from people who really shouldn’t even have them….

By all accounts Labas did close the gap on Petras, but there’s still separation between Petras and the rest because Petras reportedly also had a good spring. I think if you or anyone expected Labas or Padilla to unseat Petras by the end of spring that was simply unrealistic.

I do wonder as well how much the myriad of minor knocks impacted the goals Kirk set for spring ball…I think it’s a safe assumption he didn’t plan to conclude spring ball with only 4 scholarship receivers and 1 scholarship TE.

I’ll continue to be curious what we hear from summer workouts and fall practice. I think it would be dumb to just hand the starting job to Labas, he still needs to earn it.

Reactions: SLarew and 83Hawk

Kids want to believe what their leadership tells them. When I was young I actually believed what politicians had to say.

What I’m saying is that I have zero faith that Kirk will actually proceed with an open competition. Kirk has proven time and time again his preference to “pick a horse” and stay with it regardless of how previous results would encourage reconsideration.

Anyone with eyes can see that this team has won in spite of Spencer Petras and not because of Spencer Petras.

It’s also had to overcome poor offensive play calling, or lack of will to play call …but that’s not on Petras. He’s not Drew Tate after all.

By all accounts Labas did close the gap on Petras, but there’s still separation between Petras and the rest because Petras reportedly also had a good spring. I think if you or anyone expected Labas or Padilla to unseat Petras by the end of spring that was simply unrealistic.

I do wonder as well how much the myriad of minor knocks impacted the goals Kirk set for spring ball…I think it’s a safe assumption he didn’t plan to conclude spring ball with only 4 scholarship receivers and 1 scholarship TE.

I’ll continue to be curious what we hear from summer workouts and fall practice. I think it would be dumb to just hand the starting job to Labas, he still needs to earn it.

You make valid points and I agree that no one should be handed anything.

Also, no one (at this point) should be given the benefit of the doubt …as in viewed as the “incumbent”. That’s where I’m afraid Kirk has a weakness. He may say it’s an open competition, but does he truly treat it as one?

He believes above all else in consistency and repetition when preparing for a game. He wants everyone to believe in the system, don’t deviate from it, stick with it and wait for the opponent to make a mistake. That philosophy isn’t conducive to replacing a 2-yr starter at QB unless circumstances (like injury) force him to.

How many here don’t think Petra’s is going to get the lions share of the starting unit snaps from day one of fall camp?

I wish it wasn’t the case, but history with Kirk and the QB position clearly prove otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT