ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU , UCF to the BIG 12

Well, they will play Texas.
LOL.

FWIW, I saw a meme, I assume it was factual, that showed that UT had several very highly ranked recruiting classes in the past few years and yet had no one selected in the NFL draft this past week.

I guess recruiting "stars" aren't the end all, be all in the college football world.

LOL.

FWIW, I saw a meme, I assume it was factual, that showed that UT had several very highly ranked recruiting classes in the past few years and yet had no one selected in the NFL draft this past week.

I guess recruiting "stars" aren't the end all, be all in the college football world.
Yeah I looked it up too, in the 2018 recruiting class alone Oklahoma and Texas had three 5-star and 29 4-star recruits between the two of them. Not a single one of those recruits was drafted in the first round in 2021 or 2022. And Texas had zero of them drafted at all in 2022. That's pretty pathetic.

Nebby should jump back to the 12 - they would stand a chance at finishing above .500 every year.
In all seriousness the BIG10 would be better off if they replaced Nebraska with Houston or Cincinatti. And failing that, Memphis is still lingering out there and you could argue that they would be a better fit than Nebraska.

In all seriousness the BIG10 would be better off if they replaced Nebraska with Houston or Cincinatti. And failing that, Memphis is still lingering out there and you could argue that they would be a better fit than Nebraska.
No. Addition by subtraction with Nebby, but don't add another school just to replace them unless they are decent. Pitt or ND would be a better fit.

No. Addition by subtraction with Nebby, but don't add another school just to replace them unless they are decent. Pitt or ND would be a better fit.
I argree 100% with Pitt or ND, but they seem out of reach for the moment. However, Nebraska is floundering the BIG10 and they are not happy here. I honestly think if it was a choice for me to make between Nebraska and Iowa State I would have to flip a coin.

Sorry to point out that in the history of the Big Ten, which goes back to 1896 or so, no school has ever been permanently kicked out. Suspended yes, kicked out no. That gave me pause when Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were added- but it was about the TV dollars.

The University of Chicago left on their own in the late 1930s. An excellent academic school then and now, they felt the football tail was wagging the college dog.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Sorry to point out that in the history of the Big Ten, which goes back to 1896 or so, no school has ever been permanently kicked out. Suspended yes, kicked out no. That gave me pause when Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were added- but it was about the TV dollars.

The University of Chicago left on their own in the late 1930s. An excellent academic school then and now, they felt the football tail was wagging the college dog.
Nebby was a mistake that I have a feeling the B1G regrets.

Nebraska was added at a time (2011) when they had a good chance to regain their national power/cache status, but after over ten years, they still have not regained it. Now, they might still get it together, but every year that goes by and they are pedestrian, it is looking more and more like it was a mistake to let them in the Big10 in the first place.

who knows what is going to happen in the future. Maybe they will regain their old glory and it will be a good deal for the Big10.

Nebraska was added at a time (2011) when they had a good chance to regain their national power/cache status, but after over ten years, they still have not regained it. Now, they might still get it together, but every year that goes by and they are pedestrian, it is looking more and more like it was a mistake to let them in the Big10 in the first place.

who knows what is going to happen in the future. Maybe they will regain their old glory and it will be a good deal for the Big10.
Hard to do when you can't pump your lineman with drugs or have 150 kids on the roster like they did back in the 70's and 80's. Frost also doesn't have the legal "leeway" that Governor Osborne had when he was in Lincoln...

Agreed, but I find it kind of fun/satisfying watching Nebby flounder in most sports (except women’s volleyball & bowling). Prior to joining the Big 10...Nebraska fans always pumped out their chest that regardless of how the husker’s season went, they were better than Iowa. Now, it gets to be proven on the field, court, etc every year.

Drop Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland...add Notre Dame. Pure, traditional Big Ten footprint...and what it should have been all along.

(yeah, F-the New York TV market. Rutgers is not a draw. The other B1G teams draw enough TVs in NYC)

Reactions: bumpstock
Drop Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland...add Notre Dame. Pure, traditional Big Ten footprint...and what it should have been all along.

(yeah, F-the New York TV market. Rutgers is not a draw. The other B1G teams draw enough TVs in NYC)
Keep Nebraska, and bump PSU.

It's fun having a Big Red Piñata in the Division:

_sq_

Rutgers and Maryland brought in large recruiting potential.

Reactions: dmaw
When fans see the difference between what the B1G negotiates for a media contract and what the new Big 12 will be getting... it will becomes clearer about the future of the two conferences.

On a "per team" basis... I suspect the $$$ will be about 4/1. That's a HUGE gap when it eventually comes to paying the football staffs of the two conferences. You'll see some B1G Assts making more than Big 12 HCs, imo.

I don't think the number of people who watch Rutgers is relevant. The key is that the presence of Rutgers gave the BiG leverage to have the BTN added to the basic cable/satellite packages. The conference gets paid even if nobody watches.

I'm guessing pepsi was attempting to post the recent news, that Cincy/Houston/UCF have come to a buyout agreement to leave the AAC and join the B12 on July 1, 2023.

----

Officials at a trio of schools soon to be joining the Big 12—Cincinnati, Houston and UCF—are learning that lesson the pricy way. The programs are reportedly negotiating a settlement with the American Athletic Conference to leave the league early and make their Big 12 membership official on July 1, 2023, according to Brett McMurphy of Action Network.

The three schools—along with current independent BYU—are joining the Big 12 following the departure of Texas and Oklahoma for the SEC. The settlement is reportedly in the “$17 million to $20 million range,” per McMurphy.

The AAC’s by-laws require 27 months of notice for schools to leave, with a $10 million exit fee. Under the 27-month limit, the three departing schools would not be able to leave until July 1, 2024. AAC commissioner Mike Aresco had originally wanted a $35 million fee from each school, though appears to have found a middle ground.

At the time of the three schools’ departures, Aresco pledged to maintain a high bar of performance for the AAC, and viewed the conference as one of the “Power 6” in college football.

“The American has been Power 6 all along and will be one moving forward,” AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said last September. “The Big 12 is taking our teams because of what’s happened to them. That tells you all you need to know in terms of where we are. Teams will be interested in us that have the resources to compete at the highest level in our league with an outstanding TV partner in ESPN.”

Rutgers and Maryland brought in large recruiting potential.
Rutgers is building a solid football program there in NJ. They've gotten a lot better lately. Maryland has had some decent OOC wins recently too.

Not every team can be OSU. Somebody has to lose.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I don't think the number of people who watch Rutgers is relevant. The key is that the presence of Rutgers gave the BiG leverage to have the BTN added to the basic cable/satellite packages. The conference gets paid even if nobody watches.
I suppose, but it won't be long until that false demo if fettered out. If the B1G wanted NY TV sets...they didn't have to add Rutgers. You said it yourself, the number of Rutgers fans is irrelevant. There's plenty of B1G alums in NYC already.

The whole "recruiting footprint" thing is also a fallacy. So...now that Rutgers is in the conference suddenly NJ and NY athletes are looking at Iowa or Wisconsin or .... and they wouldn't have before? That's 1970s thinking. You can watch any conference any time, anywhere with all the TV options. The B1G didn't need to add Rutgers to get kids from Jersey to choose the other B1G schools.

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI
I suppose, but it won't be long until that false demo if fettered out. If the B1G wanted NY TV sets...they didn't have to add Rutgers. You said it yourself, the number of Rutgers fans is irrelevant. There's plenty of B1G alums in NYC already.

The whole "recruiting footprint" thing is also a fallacy. So...now that Rutgers is in the conference suddenly NJ and NY athletes are looking at Iowa or Wisconsin or .... and they wouldn't have before? That's 1970s thinking. You can watch any conference any time, anywhere with all the TV options. The B1G didn't need to add Rutgers to get kids from Jersey to choose the other B1G schools.
I could be wrong but I was under the belief that the cable/satellite companies didn't make the BTN part of the basic package until Rutgers and Maryland were added to the conference.

Reactions: PIEPI
Yeah I looked it up too, in the 2018 recruiting class alone Oklahoma and Texas had three 5-star and 29 4-star recruits between the two of them. Not a single one of those recruits was drafted in the first round in 2021 or 2022. And Texas had zero of them drafted at all in 2022. That's pretty pathetic.
Not many teams have done less with more talent than Texas.

Reactions: nwhawkincr

Yeah - remember when they used to talk about tOSU, Mich, PSU and Nebraska as the four "powers" of the B1G? With legends and leaders PSU and Nebby were supposed to be the equivalent of tOSU and Mich in the two "balanced" divisions? You don't hear that kinda talk anymore.....

I argree 100% with Pitt or ND, but they seem out of reach for the moment. However, Nebraska is floundering the BIG10 and they are not happy here. I honestly think if it was a choice for me to make between Nebraska and Iowa State I would have to flip a coin.
Hopefully the coin lands on its side.

ADVERTISEMENT