ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati Reds

What I can't figure out is why they dismantled a roster that had winning records the past two years. They weren't a good team obviously, but weren't terrible either.

The only thing I can think of is they lost money massively because of Covid (they're not alone with that obviously) - and the current owner simply did not have deep enough pockets to absorb it.

Owner = "We cannot lose money this year."
GM = "Well, we have to get rid of EVERYBODY to do that."
Owner = "Do it. I don't care how bad we are."
GM = "Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay..."

Then add in that they simply do not develop enough in-house talent to rely solely on that (also not alone with that)...

What I can't figure out is why they dismantled a roster that had winning records the past two years. They weren't a good team obviously, but weren't terrible either.

The only thing I can think of is they lost money massively because of Covid (they're not alone with that obviously) - and the current owner simply did not have deep enough pockets to absorb it.

Owner = "We cannot lose money this year."
GM = "Well, we have to get rid of EVERYBODY to do that."
Owner = "Do it. I don't care how bad we are."
GM = "Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay..."

Then add in that they simply do not develop enough in-house talent to rely solely on that (also not alone with that)...
It’s a money issue that has been compounded by injuries. Bob Castellini’s net worth is only about $400 million - the lowest among all principle MLB owners - and the loss of revenue from COVID didn’t help.

They let Castellanos walk and traded Suarez and Winker to Seattle because he couldn’t afford to pay them. They declined to pick up Miley’s $10 million option this year after he was their best starter last year, so he went to the Cubs. They traded their two-time Gold Glove winning catcher for a minor league infielder because he was due $7.5 million this year. And then the guy who replaced him got injured in a collision at home plate.

Of the two starting pitchers they didn’t part ways with, one has struggled so far and the other has been out with shoulder soreness.

Their pitching has just been abysmal.

And things aren't looking any better, as they start May against the surging Brewers (some of the best pitching in MLB). Brewers hitting has been pretty bad, but just started waking up. They put up 20 runs up on the Cubs the past 2 games... 👀

They spent a lot of money and prospect capital in an effort to get in the playoffs. In reality they still only had the 3rd best roster in the division.
Think the owner was trying to inflate the value of the franchise to either flip it or take more debt some place else.

The Reds have finally figured out the formula for winning a game. All they need to do is find a way for their opponent to lose their top two catchers in the same game so they're forced to play an emergency backup catcher.

Yesterday in the first game of a doubleheader with Pittsburgh, backup catcher Andrew Knapp of the Pirates was ejected by the home plate umpire in the bottom of the sixth inning for chirping from the dugout. Then in the top of the 8th inning, starting catcher Roberto Perez was forced to leave the game when he injured his hamstring after falling while rounding second base.

That forced the PIrates to move second baseman Josh VanMeter behind the plate with the scored tied 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth. VanMeter hadn't played catcher since youth league baseball and predictably struggled. The Reds scored 7 runs in the inning - more than they had scored in any single game so far this season.

The Reds have finally figured out the formula for winning a game. All they need to do is find a way for their opponent to lose their top two catchers in the same game so they're forced to play an emergency backup catcher.

Yesterday in the first game of a doubleheader with Pittsburgh, backup catcher Andrew Knapp of the Pirates was ejected by the home plate umpire in the bottom of the sixth inning for chirping from the dugout. Then in the top of the 8th inning, starting catcher Roberto Perez was forced to leave the game when he injured his hamstring after falling while rounding second base.

That forced the PIrates to move second baseman Josh VanMeter behind the plate with the scored tied 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth. VanMeter hadn't played catcher since youth league baseball and predictably struggled. The Reds scored 7 runs in the inning - more than they had scored in any single game so far this season.

Hey, if they can take out everyones catcher from here on out, we looking at the World Series Champions for 2022!

Reactions: TJ8869
Reds got a win today 14-11 over Brewers

it got hairy at the end giving up 5 runs in the 9th but they held on :)
That’s 4 wins in their last 6 games and back-to-back series wins over the Bucs and Brewers.

And I got a free chicken biscuit this morning from Chick-fil-A (I get one every time the Reds score 11 runs). Feelin’ pretty good about life this morning.

The Reds won at Fenway tonight. That's 14 wins in their last 23 games after their 3-22 start. Since it's only a 2-game series in Boston they are guaranteed at least a split, meaning they have now won or split 7 or their last 8 series.

They are just two games behind the Cubs.

ADVERTISEMENT