ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus / Fiesta Bowl preferences

LuciousBDragon

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
First of all, we’re winning and going to the Rose Bowl baby!

That being said, if I am wrong and we lose it appears the Citrus is our destination. It is a respectable bowl with those who know college football but from an optics perspective, the Fiesta Bowl brings the NY6 prestige and the B1G opponent will be a quality team in the likes of Notre Dame or Ole Miss possibly. Currently, Sparty appears headed there with their CFP ranking at 11 higher than Iowa at 13.

Question is if we lose but we play a very close, respectable game against the Fighting Harbaughs, could Iowa bump up ahead of Sparty (considering Sparty does not play at all this weekend)?

Personally, the idea of Iowa vs ND gives me a hard-on and I will be sad to play in the Citrus vs TA&M and disinterested if we play Kentucky.

We go to Florida all the time. Been a decade since Hawks were in AZ. Lotta Hawks in the Valley. Both games are the same 1PM EST kickoff so it’s a wash there.

Thoughts or opinions on this and/or my Mom?

No, we're not going to leapfrog MSU after losing to a team they beat, whose only loses are to OSU and a team that also beat us. I see no scenario that doesn't land Iowa in the Citrus should they not be able to pull off the upset Saturday.

Reactions: kwik44 and Auger
Fiesta would be cool, but outside of forcing overtime or multiple OT’s not sure we get in that top 12 or surpass MSU. You could argue that Sparty got them at home and we had to fight it out on a neutral field, but I just think they still look better on paper than we do. One loss was a common opponent, but ours was much worse.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Normally I'd say the Fiesta but don't they get the Non-P5 highest ranked at large this year? If so, we'd end up playing San Diego State, Louisiana, Appalachian State or someone the likes of that.

First of all, we’re winning and going to the Rose Bowl baby!

That being said, if I am wrong and we lose it appears the Citrus is our destination. It is a respectable bowl with those who know college football but from an optics perspective, the Fiesta Bowl brings the NY6 prestige and the B1G opponent will be a quality team in the likes of Notre Dame or Ole Miss possibly. Currently, Sparty appears headed there with their CFP ranking at 11 higher than Iowa at 13.

Question is if we lose but we play a very close, respectable game against the Fighting Harbaughs, could Iowa bump up ahead of Sparty (considering Sparty does not play at all this weekend)?

Personally, the idea of Iowa vs ND gives me a hard-on and I will be sad to play in the Citrus vs TA&M and disinterested if we play Kentucky.

We go to Florida all the time. Been a decade since Hawks were in AZ. Lotta Hawks in the Valley. Both games are the same 1PM EST kickoff so it’s a wash there.

Thoughts or opinions on this and/or my Mom?

Where does your mom stand on baked goods quality? That effects my opinion greatly.

Don't discount Arkansas as a strong Citrus Bowl possibility. Of the three likely contenders (Arkansas, Kentucky, and Texas A&M), Arkansas is currently ranked the highest, a factor that has guided the Citrus Bowl in its selection the past few years. That said, the storyline of Stoops coaching against his alma mater might make Kentucky a more appealing option. Or maybe it's A&M, because, you know, Texas.

Best option is just to beat Michigan and go to the Rose.

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
First, we need Oregon to win the Pac 12.
Then, we wouldn't see a Ohio State selection, as they played earlier this year.
Between Michigan State and Iowa, you would think the Rose Bowl would take Iowa. Michigan State barely brought anyone to Indy and Dallas at the end of the 2015 season.

Reactions: RMT_515

Brett McMurphy seems to be the closest to the pin on these bowl projections.

With an Iowa loss, he has Iowa vs Kentucky in the Citrus.
He also has Sparty vs Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.
He predicts Utah (beating Oregon) vs Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Then:
Connie to Outback.
Giant Rats to Music City.
Floppers (Penn State) to Vegas.
Pee Dew to Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix) Bowl.
Turvover Terps to Pinstripe Bowl.

Normally I'd say the Fiesta but don't they get the Non-P5 highest ranked at large this year? If so, we'd end up playing San Diego State, Louisiana, Appalachian State or someone the likes of that.
To be clear, the NY6 is obligated to take the highest ranked G-5 champion, not just the highest ranked non-P5 team (i.e. N.D. and BYU don't get any "automatic" bids).

I assume you're talking about a Cincinnati loss on Saturday, because they'd obviously be the top G-5 champion with a win and almost certainly would be in the CFP.

Should the Bearcats go down, though, I think Houston would leapfrog SDSU as the highest ranked G-5 champion and, yes, probably play in the Fiesta Bowl. The Sun Belt and other G-5 conferences don't not have a NY6 candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT