ADVERTISEMENT

City High / Fairfield Basketball Game Drama

The comments seem to indicate a racial slur prompted the fight.
That seems to be coming up more frequently these days.

The comments seem to indicate a racial slur prompted the fight.
That seems to be coming up more frequently these days.
That wouldn't make any sense. The alleged racial slur was toward the City coach in the 3rd quarter. The fight was at the end of the 4th quarter when a white City player shoved a white Fairfield player. The coach had been ejected in the 3rd quarter. He wasn't around for the fight. Not sure how an alleged racial slur prompted the fight.

Reactions: Mufasa94 and Ree4
Which is why it should be enforced by the school administration, IMO. Let the refs concentrate on the game and let the admins enforce crowd control. I think the notion of an AD siding with an unruly parent - which a couple posters have brought up - is a huge stretch. These are professional educators, not mouthy fans.
Torbee I understand your point but let me point out a couple of things. First not all school administrators act like professional educators when their child is playing. Your "is a huge stretch" is a bogus argument. You must not have been to many youth/HS activities. I have recently seen an administrator from one school go to an opponents gym and be the loudest person in the gym screaming at officials in a game where his daughter was playing. I could give many other examples. It is amazing how people change when their children are playing a sport. Second if a school wants to join the IHSAA/IGHSAU they have to follow it's rules. The school doesn't have to join but if it doesn't it won't be able to compete in IHSAA/IGHSAU activities.

Torbee I understand your point but let me point out a couple of things. First not all school administrators act like professional educators when their child is playing. Your "is a huge stretch" is a bogus argument. You must not have been to many youth/HS activities. I have recently seen an administrator from one school go to an opponents gym and be the loudest person in the gym screaming at officials in a game where his daughter was playing. I could give many other examples. It is amazing how people change when their children are playing a sport. Second if a school wants to join the IHSAA/IGHSAU they have to follow it's rules. The school doesn't have to join but if it doesn't it won't be able to compete in IHSAA/IGHSAU activities.
It's been awhile but we have seen an administrator at the D1 level in Iowa from a school west of Iowa City be removed from a gymnasium.

It's been awhile but we have seen an administrator at the D1 level in Iowa from a school west of Iowa City be removed from a gymnasium.

And the ref ordered it. The athletic director and superintendent later provided statements minimizing the ejection. Did they minimize the ejection because it truly wasn't a big deal? Or is it possible that they minimized it because of who was involved?

In my opinion it further supports that the officiating crew needs to have the authority in such matters. They don't care who you are, or what team your supporting.

Principal Bacon had an affair with his secretary.. at school, and kept his job. The dude is a dumbass and a scumbag.
John is not a dumbass or a scumbag. I know nothing of an affair, but from my experience with John, he’s been a stand up guy.

Love how people can make fun of small town Iowa in this thread like they are such a better human being and then already have their mind made up of who is at fault by reading a forum. Multiple liars in this thread. Ask anyone at the game what the City High players were saying on or near the bench to each other and then ask why the coach and Bacon allowed it to happen.

That wouldn't make any sense. The alleged racial slur was toward the City coach in the 3rd quarter. The fight was at the end of the 4th quarter when a white City player shoved a white Fairfield player. The coach had been ejected in the 3rd quarter. He wasn't around for the fight. Not sure how an alleged racial slur prompted the fight.
My comment was referring to the video from Vermont that was shared. Not the City High incident.

Basketball players are such spoiled, rotten wannabe thugs that are actually huge pussies. Basketball coaches and parents are even worse. A lot of racists playing and supporting high school basketball, especially here on iowa. These types of incidents are pretty common and seem representative of the players and families that are involved in the sport. Sad.

I've been close to Iowa HS BB since I was a kid in the 80's, nothing you say has been my experience.

Reactions: NI hawk
I've been close to Iowa HS BB since I was a kid in the 80's, nothing you say has been my experience.
You have to consider the source here. He's a wrestler. Half of a wrestling lineup are little guys and other sports weren't really an option for them so they hold a bit of a grudge, especially against basketball players.

This is coming from somebody who has wrestled, fwiw.

Actually the rule helps the administrator in charge. If a prominent person, businessman or booster club president in your community is out of line and ejected the administrator is off the hook in making the decision of removal. But on another note how about the Lady Hawks beating Maryland! Great game! :)

So school administrators are subject to human bias but part time contract refs are not?

Like I said I understand your point but your reasoning is not valid. School administrators work for one of the schools playing and have daily contact with the students on their team. Administrators could have their own children playing on that team. Referees working a varsity game do not meet either of those criteria. I might also add that officiating is going to get worse because of the extreme shortage of officials. AD's will tell you they have to take who is available. Even if you think they aren't very good. Coaches and fans have to realize that or there won't be anyone left to officiate and games won't get played.

ADVERTISEMENT