ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fiedorowicz has suffered 3 concussions this season

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I feel for the guy. At what point do you retire in order to protect your brain?

From ESPN:

i

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Houston Texans: After having sustained two concussions earlier this season, Fiedorowicz was back in the concussion protocol during Sunday's game against the Titans. He was downgraded to out in the second half.

Might be his final season. Just depends how his surrounding cast and family feels and how much he actually cares

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have put tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz and wide receiver Bruce Ellington on injured reserve, the team announced Tuesday.

Fiedorowicz left Sunday's loss to the Tennessee Titans with a concussion, which is his third since training camp. The tight end spent eight games on injured reserve earlier this season after suffering a concussion in the Texans' season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. In five games this season, Fiedorowicz had 14 catches for 127 yards.

The Texans signed Fiedorowicz to a three-year, $21.5 million contract in August that included $10 million guaranteed.

The Texans signed Fiedorowicz to a three-year, $21.5 million contract in August that included $10 million guaranteed.

Al least he is not getting screwed like so many players who the NFL just tosses aside and wishes them luck with their health down the road

3 in 4 months is really bad. He had the $10 million guaranteed so I hope he retires for the sake of his health. It's his body, though, so it's his choice.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Heard today he had a 4th. :oops::eek:

I hope CJ paid attention in his classes and has a back up plan.

If taking care of your brain is #1, then don't even start to play football.
"Why risk 3 concussions playing for a bad team? " What kind kind of logic is that? Is it ok to risk 3 concussions and permanent brain damage the rest of your life, if you can play for good team??
What good is $10 mil if you end up committing suicide in five years due to brain trauma?

If taking care of your brain is #1, then don't even start to play football.
"Why risk 3 concussions playing for a bad team? " What kind kind of logic is that? Is it ok to risk 3 concussions and permanent brain damage the rest of your life, if you can play for good team??
What good is $10 mil if you end up committing suicide in five years due to brain trauma?

There's risks to everything you do in life. Playing football doesn't guarantee you're going to suffer deadly head trauma and live a horrible life. The players and everyone else fully knows the risks, and luckily for us they deem it's worth it. Also, you're really reaching with the suicide thing. Far fewer NFL players kill themselves than members of the general population.

Something tells me he may not get all that bonus money if he retires.

Not sure how the CBA deals with this. If it's an injury forced retirement (no team medically clears him to play), then I'd think some sort of insurance kicks in. But if he is cleared, yet he retires, I bet he only gets a pro-rated amount per the terms of the contract.

I honestly don't know, but this is the NFL we're talking about. I doubt it's as cut and dried as "he gets the $10M".

Something tells me he may not get all that bonus money if he retires.

Not sure how the CBA deals with this. If it's an injury forced retirement (no team medically clears him to play), then I'd think some sort of insurance kicks in. But if he is cleared, yet he retires, I bet he only gets a pro-rated amount per the terms of the contract.

I honestly don't know, but this is the NFL we're talking about. I doubt it's as cut and dried as "he gets the $10M".

If I read an article earlier today correctly, I believe that gets reduced by like $2.8 million if he gets cut due to injury. So he should still get paid plenty hopefully.

There's risks to everything you do in life. Playing football doesn't guarantee you're going to suffer deadly head trauma and live a horrible life. The players and everyone else fully knows the risks, and luckily for us they deem it's worth it. Also, you're really reaching with the suicide thing. Far fewer NFL players kill themselves than members of the general population.
I played high school football and had 1 concussion with the old web helmets but.....Ive had brain contusion and another concussion doing yard work. Conclusion, don' t do yard work without a helmet.

Sorry to see his career come to an end. Wish he could have had the long and productive career he appeared to be working toward last season. His health must come first! Dernit! Literally swore out loud when I saw the news after work. Peeved that the concussion bell tolled for his career.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT