ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
He feels like an enigma. Great player but does it seem like he should be averaging close to 15 a game at least? The kid shoots 52% overall and 56% from 3. Even with 19 tonight he's only averaging 10 per game. Before tonight he was only averaging around 6 shots per game. Does anyone else wish he was a little more aggressive with the shooting?

IMO, probably trust him in clutch over Bohannon. Although, after tonight, who knows? Definitely before Weezy, though.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
IMO, probably trust him in clutch over Bohannon. Although, after tonight, who knows? Definitely before Weezy, though.
That depends on game situation. If Iowea ahead under a minute - JoB over CJ. If Iowa down under a minute - CJ over JBo. (unless tonight scraped the rust off JBo. He shot awesome) CJ struggles with free throws.

Fredric has to hunt his shot like JBo. If Fredrick gets on a roll like 1st half, then do a heat check and
shoot even further out like Jbo. JBo and Fredrick are the only two pure shooters on the team. JoeW has a decent shot, but not as good as Jbo or Fredrick

Wait a minute. I thought you were boycotting games? What gives?
Well let me tell you Mr Nazi friend (I know you are a Nazi because you want to censor anyone you disagree with), the condition of boycotting watching the games was contingent upon the players disrespecting the anthem. They haven't been doing that. I watched carefully and took notes. They do a unity ceremony with kneeling prior to the anthem and all stand in respect during the anthem. You should think before commenting.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Well let me tell you Mr Nazi friend (I know you are a Nazi because you want to censor anyone you disagree with), the condition of boycotting watching the games was contingent upon the players disrespecting the anthem. They haven't been doing that. I watched carefully and took notes. They do a unity ceremony with kneeling prior to the anthem and all stand in respect during the anthem. You should think before commenting.
Oh, well then. Absolutely nothing weird about that then :rolleyes:

He feels like an enigma. Great player but does it seem like he should be averaging close to 15 a game at least? The kid shoots 52% overall and 56% from 3. Even with 19 tonight he's only averaging 10 per game. Before tonight he was only averaging around 6 shots per game. Does anyone else wish he was a little more aggressive with the shooting?
I agree that it feels like CJF gets lost in the shuffle.

Tonight was one of those games where he was able to assert himself and make a huge impact in the score column.

I agree that I wish he would be more involved in the scoring, because when he is hitting....and everyone else is hitting.....that puts that much more pressure on other teams to have to keep pace.

CJF seems like the basketball equivalent of TJ Hockensen. As a TE Hock was obviously dependent on his QB to get him the rock and when it was thrown his way he was as reliable a player as the program’s ever had. When he wasn’t thrown to though, he was content to play his role as a decoy or a run blocker. Never complained. Just a team first guy who could’ve caught 10 balls or zero and he’s happy so long as the team wins. Still, you always felt like he could’ve averaged 10/100/1 a game.

Similarly, CJF isn’t really a shot creator at this point so his offense is dependent on working his ass off to get open shots and when the ball swings his way he’s as money as any wing player Fran has ever had. Then he plays his ass off on D. But whether he gets 3 shots or 10, he seems really content to play his game to help the team win. And, like Hock, you kinda feel like CJF could average 20+ easily if the team needed him to.

Thought Jbo did a pretty good job tonight on d.
It was better. But he’s still a defensive liability. Whether you want to blame that on Frans piss poor defensive philosophies or Jordan’s physical abilities is up to you.

CJF seems like the basketball equivalent of TJ Hockensen. As a TE Hock was obviously dependent on his QB to get him the rock and when it was thrown his way he was as reliable a player as the program’s ever had. When he wasn’t thrown to though, he was content to play his role as a decoy or a run blocker. Never complained. Just a team first guy who could’ve caught 10 balls or zero and he’s happy so long as the team wins. Still, you always felt like he could’ve averaged 10/100/1 a game.

Similarly, CJF isn’t really a shot creator at this point so his offense is dependent on working his ass off to get open shots and when the ball swings his way he’s as money as any wing player Fran has ever had. Then he plays his ass off on D. But whether he gets 3 shots or 10, he seems really content to play his game to help the team win. And, like Hock, you kinda feel like CJF could average 20+ easily if the team needed him to.
I like the Hock comparison, but not sure I agree with the part about CJ not being a shot creator. Whether it be a pump fake, side step three, a floater in the lane, or a pull up jumper, I’m not sure there’s anybody not named Luka Garza better at getting his shot in a one-on-one situation on this team. And unlike Luka, he doesn’t need to have the ball passed to him to get it.

(I hope that Toussaint will get there in terms of shot creating, but he hasn’t shown much ability to knock down anything outside 5 feet unless it’s a catch and shoot situation)

He likes to defer to guys with more experience. Though he can both create and make his own shot better than anybody else on the team imo. I agree with Fran in terms of hunting additional shots

better than Joe W who has horrible tunnel vision, if he can’t learn to share the ball when the obvious pass is there he won’t make the league

I've wondered to myself whether CJ isn't in the Gatens/Jok/Haluska category right now, but just doesn't have the responsibility to carry the team that they had.

I think CJ and Murray can be the difference between the garden variety Fran team that gets to round 2 of the NCAA tourney and fizzles out or a Sweet 16 run. CJ has the most complete offensive game on the team outside of Garza and Murray is like a hybrid of Bowen and Dev Marble--incredible instincts, sneaky athletic, versatile scorer and always plays within himself.

better than Joe W who has horrible tunnel vision, if he can’t learn to share the ball when the obvious pass is there he won’t make the league
Good point. He has tendencies during games where he pushes a bit much instead of taking what’s there. I love how he’s hitting the boards this year, however.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
There’s a pretty strong argument against CJ not being a shot creator. His footwork in his midrange game is exceptional. Those pullbacks are very tough to guard. He will keep expanding his ability to that out beyond the arc over time.

Reactions: littlez and NI hawk
He shoots his free throws much differently than his normal shot . He pulls it back so far his hands look like they are nearly touching the backside of his head.

It seems to me he would have better luck tightening it up by not going so far back. Clearly he is a great shooter, which usually translates into great free throw shooting. Hopefully he gets it worked out... the sooner the better.

Reactions: 24 so far
Are you shocked that he lied?! It's a theme with those people.
Didn't lie. I clearly stated my position. They are not protesting during the national anthem. They have developed a respectful way to show their concerns. Sorry your IQ level doesn't allow you to comprehend the difference. Don't blame me.
I'm already doing it to football. I will not tolerate them disrespecting country, flag, and those that served. They can protest on their own time.
I am hoping that FM will not allow the protests to the anthem. I want to support and cheer on the guys. This gives him a heads up to divert from the controversy that will alienate fans away from Iowa bb.

CJ & Wieskamp are both good 3 point shooters. Against
Northwestern, Bohannon reasserted his 3 point accuracy
as he went 6 for 9 from downtown. Every night you hope
one of those three guys gets hot. It is a luxury to have
three men who can live on 3's on any given night.

I dont want to jinx the guy but he is the exact player as a SG that Fran has been chasing since he got here. A great shooter that actually shoots great in games.

The bonus is he actually has great BB IQ and has worked on his dribble drive game while not being a liability on D.

Didn't lie. I clearly stated my position. They are not protesting during the national anthem. They have developed a respectful way to show their concerns. Sorry your IQ level doesn't allow you to comprehend the difference. Don't blame me.
Fran and the team probably read your plea on here earlier and decided not to kneel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT