ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick out six weeks following foot surgery

Apr 8, 2003
CJ Fredrick Undergoes Successful Procedure

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa redshirt sophomore CJ Fredrick underwent successful surgery of his right foot Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.

Fredrick had a screw inserted to his fifth metatarsal to fixate a stress fracture. The Hawkeye guard is expected to be off the court the next six weeks.

“The timing for this surgery was perfect,” said Fredrick. “This procedure will allow me to recover quickly and be able to play pain free in that foot for the season. I can’t wait to begin rehabbing and working toward the upcoming season.”

Fredrick was a regular in the Hawkeye lineup as a rookie, starting all 25 games played, and earning All-Big Ten Freshman Team accolades. The native of Cincinnati, Ohio, led the conference in 3-point field goal percentage (.461, 47-of-102) and ranked third on the team in points per game (10.2). Fredrick was one of only three players nationally -- and only player from a major conference dating back to 1993 – to total 65+ assists, 32 or fewer turnovers, and shoot 46 percent or better from 3-point range.

“CJ’s right foot has been bothering him for several weeks and this procedure is a proactive approach to expediate the healing process,” said UI head coach Fran McCaffery. “CJ has had a tremendous off-season of training and we are confident he will be even stronger when he returns next month.”

Hope things go as expected. We need to remove as many uncertainties as possible before Luka’s decision.

Good time to get it fixed. He's a seasoned veteran now and he knows what needs to be done to get ready for the season, if there is one. This should save some wear and tear.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Pretty sure that the surgery is on the foot that kept CJ out for a few games last year. Hopefully this fixes the problem
NOPE. Last year was left stress something but not fracture. Then later a right sprain. This foot is the right one. Seems he may have a bit of weak bones in his feet???!!!

NOPE. Last year was left stress something but not fracture. Then later a right sprain. This foot is the right one. Seems he may have a bit of weak bones in his feet???!!!
Thanks for the correction. Knew he had a stress fracture last year, but didn’t remember if it was left or right

i had never even heard of a stress reaction before CJ had it this past winter.

i just figured gary misspoke again, and he meant fracture, when i heard it on the radio.
Fairly common for athletes, usually caused by overwork, and arch or support problems or certain brands of shoes that don't match the arch on a certain players feet. My youngest battled them in high school and college. he was running cross country and playing AAU basketball at the same time in 9th grade and developed a bad case. He was in a boot for a month. Went through high school fine after that. Then had issues again in college. Stopped wearing Nikes and switched to Adidas and never had another problem. Each players feet are different, which is why teams should never wear all the same brand of shoes.

I remember when Bobby Hansen had a junior season that was plagued with foot stress fractures. I think it flared up again when he was a member of the Utah Jazz. But his, if I remember correctly, was more in the center of his foot. CJ basically had his little toe stabilized. Hopefully, this will relieve him of the pain he's been experiencing.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I remember when Bobby Hansen had a junior season that was plagued with foot stress fractures. I think it flared up again when he was a member of the Utah Jazz. But his, if I remember correctly, was more in the center of his foot. CJ basically had his little toe stabilized. Hopefully, this will relieve him of the pain he's been experiencing.
Your correct Ronman, I remember that as well. BH missed a few games but didn't miss too much time I think. Bobby had a really nice NBA career with the Jazz and Bulls, and now he gets to do the color for the Hawks. Not a bad gig except putting up with Dolph.....:rolleyes:

Best wishes to CJ, on a speedy recovery.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet CJ will have a great season, for the
Hawkeyes, coming up. #gohawks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT