ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick suffers broken leg

The Uthoff/Bo situation was even worse when you consider the fact that Iowa had just been gracious in allowing Ben Brust to get out of his Iowa commitment to go to Wisconsin.
As stated, Brust wanted out when McCaffery was hired (I guess he wanted to play slow ball) and immediately went on scholarship at Wisconsin. McCaffery could have made it much tougher on him by putting an intraconference restriction on him, but showed class by letting him just leave. Bo, who may have been distracted by his mistress, put multiple restrictions on Uthoff and Jerrod eventually got his release to go to Iowa but had to pay his own way his first year. Still, every time I see Brust's smarmy face on the B1G Network, I can be assured he will take a subtle shot at Iowa if given a chance.

Reactions: ichawk24
ESPN has their top 100 transfers (Pay article so didn't link). With getting Carr Texas is absolutely killing it getting multiple guys in the top 50. Behind them doing the 2nd best is probably Kentucky. CJ is like the 5th best guy they have as a transfer in the 60-70 range with multiple guards ahead of him that KY is bringing in. Including recruits it will be interesting how many minutes he gets next year. Being that he is healthy enough to get on the floor.

ESPN has their top 100 transfers (Pay article so didn't link). With getting Carr Texas is absolutely killing it getting multiple guys in the top 50. Behind them doing the 2nd best is probably Kentucky. CJ is like the 5th best guy they have as a transfer in the 60-70 range with multiple guards ahead of him that KY is bringing in. Including recruits it will be interesting how many minutes he gets next year. Being that he is healthy enough to get on the floor.
CJ Frederick will never see meaningful minutes at Kentucky. And Uncle Joe will be "shopping" him on assorted forums by December.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
CJ Frederick will never see meaningful minutes at Kentucky. And Uncle Joe will be "shopping" him on assorted forums by December.
Similarities:
1. Both transferred back to home state
2. Both really upset their coaches
3. Both didn't communicate well at the end

1. One redshirted and wasn't playing, the other played and had some kind of "communication " during the season.
2. One had a long time relationship with his coach and a family member integral in his recruiting.

Fair or not, most fans are going to be more sympathetic to a guy who redshirted and then transferred after the season the ln someone who had some kind of communication while playing. Also, and I understand the lie, but it seems the whole team had believed CJ when he said the rumors were false. This is based on a reporter discussing the transfer. That creates animosity. Also, I am not sure what the hold up was but the timing meant that Iowa probably didn't pursue transfers because they thought they had CJ.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
That's pretty much how Beard builds his squads. Kind of a modified Hoiberg approach. I guess that 's great if you can attract enough quality players to play the style of ball you want. He had success at TT. I can't imagine it will be be less at Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Do you really think Uthoff just showed up on campus without any sort of communication with the coaching staff?
This definitely has to be correct. No player with an existing scholarship - let alone someone of Uthoff’s caliber - is going to transfer to a high major program without assurances that a ride is waiting for him - at least via “back office” communication.

I had heard that at least the initial contact was made via Josh Ogelsby since they knew each other from playing AAU ball together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT