ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick suffers broken leg

Too bad the seats are cushioned. At Kentucky he could get quite a collection of splinters.

I thought he was really good at Iowa when healthy, which was only a fraction of each season he played. How he left makes me not root for him at his next stop, but I mostly don't wish an injury on anyone.

Based on what I've read (albeit mostly on this message board) my guess is Uncle Joe and the family maybe blamed CJ's constant injuries on Iowa/medical staff and that was part of their desire to leave...Kentucky being a "dream school" is obviously a factor as well. Bad Luck, not being in optimal shape, and just what his body can withstand is what probably contributed to the injuries.

On paper, not having Nunge and Frederick looks like a major negative going into next season. But also not having to rely on two guys who were at less than 80 percent for most of their combined 7 seasons at Iowa, I am ok with. Opportunities for different guys to step up and hopefully not have to readjust each time someone gets hurt for extended periods during a season.

I thought he was really good at Iowa when healthy, which was only a fraction of each season he played. How he left makes me not root for him at his next stop, but I mostly don't wish an injury on anyone.

Based on what I've read (albeit mostly on this message board) my guess is Uncle Joe and the family maybe blamed CJ's constant injuries on Iowa/medical staff and that was part of their desire to leave...Kentucky being a "dream school" is obviously a factor as well. Bad Luck, not being in optimal shape, and just what his body can withstand is what probably contributed to the injuries.

On paper, not having Nunge and Frederick looks like a major negative going into next season. But also not having to rely on two guys who were at less than 80 percent for most of their combined 7 seasons at Iowa, I am ok with. Opportunities for different guys to step up and hopefully not have to readjust each time someone gets hurt for extended periods during a season.
Honestly, I don't know how CJ or Nunge can ever feel 100% confident when they're on the floor. If it were me, I would be constantly worried about coming down on something wrong. It has to be a factor in their play, but I am by no means a Division I athlete.

We might have some growing pains this year, but I am cautiously optimistic. I think the young players were just dying to get on the floor last year and they all showed flashes. I'm ready for new blood.

This quote from Calipari seems to be a direct shot at McCaffery.
"What I love about CJ is his approach in all of this. In every conversation I have had with him, he has a great plan of how he wants to improve and where he needs to take his game to get better. He wants to be challenged, he wants to be coached and he embraces competition."
Maybe I'm making too much of it considering I think Calipari should have been banned from college coaching long ago. Wonder if Fredrick's Kentucky invitation was sent to Uncle Joe by Fed EX. I kid...I kid...

In life, bad things often happen when you treat the teammates & coaches who stuck their necks out for you like dirt.

The silver lining to being sidelined with an injury through the fall is that Kentucky over signed yet again, and has two 5 star high school guard recruits coming in to go along with transfer guards from Georgia (was 5th in the SEC in steals) and Davidson (averaged 17 pts and 5 RBs), plus the 4 guards they have returning.

As for NIL, who thinks CJ will make a fraction of what he could have made being a 4th year starter for the Hawks?

I don't like seeing anyone injury prone when they are so young. I hope he plays well and that it reflects well on Fran for taking a chance on him. But I would like to see him regret his decision to leave the Hawks, when Kentucky and Calapari end up having another disappointing season.

I don't like seeing anyone injury prone when they are so young. I hope he plays well and that it reflects well on Fran for taking a chance on him. But I would like to see him regret his decision to leave the Hawks, when Kentucky and Calapari end up having another disappointing season.
I just want to see Cal suffer the consequences of his cheating. He always seems to slide away, leaving a slime trail that only damns the school and players he leaves behind.

This quote from Calipari seems to be a direct shot at McCaffery.
"What I love about CJ is his approach in all of this. In every conversation I have had with him, he has a great plan of how he wants to improve and where he needs to take his game to get better. He wants to be challenged, he wants to be coached and he embraces competition."
Maybe I'm making too much of it considering I think Calipari should have been banned from college coaching long ago. Wonder if Fredrick's Kentucky invitation was sent to Uncle Joe by Fed EX. I kid...I kid...
I don't think it was a shot at Fran at all. He was just complimenting CJ in that he wants to learn.

I don't remember much animosity when Uthoff quit on his teammates and headed home. I wish cj had been more open with Fran about his plans but don't blame him at all for not wanting to stick around while nepotism handicaps another Iowa team. That was ridiculous down the stretch when CM was playing injured in crucial games

Last edited:
Reactions: RomanHawk
I don't remember much animosity when Uthoff quit on his teammates and headed home. I wish cj had been more open with Fran about his plans but don't blame him at all for not wanting to stick around while nepotism handicaps another Iowa team. That was ridiculous down the stretch when CM was playing injured in crucial games

There was a lot of animosity on the part of the WI fans and Bo Ryan though which is more analogous in this context.

Ryan restricted Uthoff from transferring to an extraordinary amount of schools until he received so much National blow back that he relented. Ryan made himself look petty and childish.

At least he played. CJ really didn't want to play.

He left because he didn't like Bo or his schtick and didn't see himself fitting in there. I also don't think he lied to Ryan right up until the hour he transferred either so kinda apples to watermelons....

CJ was also playing injured in crucial games.

He left because he didn't like Bo or his schtick and didn't see himself fitting in there. I also don't think he lied to Ryan right up until the hour he transferred either so kinda apples to watermelons....

Uthoff had been thinking about transferring for 2-3 months but waited until Bo was out of town on vacation before telling him.

Uthoff had redshirted before deciding to transfer. CJ had redshirted and then been a multi-year starter, starting every game he played, for the only major conference coach that saw enough talent in him to carve out a future scholarship while averaging almost 27 minutes per game in his career.

Uthoff was given restrictions on where he could transfer to and had to pay his own way to Iowa where he couldn’t even talk to the coaching staff until after his first day of classes in the fall semester after the transfer. He also knew full well that the Iowa staff wanted him as they recruited him out of high school before he chose Wisconsin. So the transfer was a safe bet for him.

CJ was obviously in some form of communication with the UK staff before he announced the transfer. A staff that had no interest in him while he was in high school. Would he really have started the transfer process if he had no idea that UK wanted him?

Everyone was. By the time a team gets to March, everyone is nursing some sort of injury.
Indeed, some of whom are in worse condition than others. Both CMac and CJ would be in that category. That's why I'm baffled by your previous post. CJ would have no legitimate gripe about a teammate playing injured when he was as well and clearly at a lower level than he was playing earlier in the season.

Reactions: perryhawk
Indeed, some of whom are in worse condition than others. Both CMac and CJ would be in that category. That's why I'm baffled by your previous post. CJ would have no legitimate gripe about a teammate playing injured when he was as well and clearly at a lower level than he was playing earlier in the season.
Which post?

Uthoff had redshirted before deciding to transfer. CJ had redshirted and then been a multi-year starter, starting every game he played, for the only major conference coach that saw enough talent in him to carve out a future scholarship while averaging almost 27 minutes per game in his career.

Uthoff was given restrictions on where he could transfer to and had to pay his own way to Iowa where he couldn’t even talk to the coaching staff until after his first day of classes in the fall semester after the transfer. He also knew full well that the Iowa staff wanted him as they recruited him out of high school before he chose Wisconsin. So the transfer was a safe bet for him.

CJ was obviously in some form of communication with the UK staff before he announced the transfer. A staff that had no interest in him while he was in high school. Would he really have started the transfer process if he had no idea that UK wanted him?

Do you really think Uthoff just showed up on campus without any sort of communication with the coaching staff?

Do you really think Uthoff just showed up on campus without any sort of communication with the coaching staff?
Knowing what we know about his opinion of cheaters, I think Fran would play that by the rule book to a T and wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t allow his staff to reach out. Doesn’t mean that Uthoff didn’t reach out to a player on the team though. But that was a situation where he knew Fran already wanted him since we recruited him one year earlier and we had an open scholarship.

Reactions: perryhawk
Knowing what we know about his opinion of cheaters, I think Fran would play that by the rule book to a T and wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t allow his staff to reach out. Doesn’t mean that Uthoff didn’t reach out to a player on the team though. But that was a situation where he knew Fran already wanted him since we recruited him one year earlier and we had an open scholarship.

Fran had offerred/recruited Uthoff when he was in High School. I don't think Uthoff needed to know much beyond there being an open scholly, so I agree, unlikely any tampering. With Joe Fredrick posting on the
Kentucky board that help was on the way with the season still in play, that is a whole different level.

Fredrick was good player, but he stunk at the end of last season--non factor and he got abused by Oregon.
Not his fault, but he hasn't show ability to
stay healthy. Maybe being a part time player at Kentucky will be good for his health

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT