ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick Updates: STARTED Feb 21, 18 & 10. OUT Feb 13. Practiced Feb 8 & 9. Jon Rothstein: "Iowa BADLY Misses CJ."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
We are now 19 days into this.

From HawkCentral.com:

The CJ Fredrick watch will continue to be a game-by-game experience for the Iowa men's basketball team.

Fredrick missed his second game of the season Thursday as the No. 8 Hawkeyes fell 89-85 to No. 7 Ohio State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa has lost both games that Fredrick hasn't played because of what is being called a lower-leg injury. Fredrick has started two other games in that stretch, but has had to shut things down at halftime on both occasions.

"CJ is legitimately still day-to-day," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said after Thursday's game. "We pretty much knew (Wednesday) he wasn't going to go (Thursday), but even left that open to see how he felt (Thursday), and he wasn't ready to go."

Iowa next plays Sunday at Indiana.

CJ is is averaging 8.7 points per game and has made 50% of his 3-point shots to lead the team in accuracy. He was on the sideline, but not in uniform, Thursday and didn't even go through warmups with the team.

The Timeline:

Jan. 17 (Win):
Fredrick suffered the injury late in Iowa's win at Northwestern on Jan. 17.

Jan 21 (Loss): He started the next game, at home vs. Indiana, but was clearly laboring and played only 13 scoreless minutes. He had to shut things down at halftime.

Jan 29 (Loss): Fredrick sat out Iowa's loss at Illinois

Feb 2 (Win):, He tried to go again Tues Feb 2nd against Michigan State. Again, he was not in peak condition and finished with two points in 11 minutes. He had to shut things down at halftime.

Feb 4 (Loss): He sat out this game vs Ohio State

Feb 7 (Loss): He did not play at Indiana

Feb 10 (Win): He played 17 min vs Rutgers. 0 points, 2 reb, 3 assists

Feb 13 (Win): He did not play at Michigan State

Feb 18 (Win): He started at Wisconsin & played 31 minutes. He had 5 pts 4 assts, & 1 reb.

Feb 21 (Win): He started vs Penn State & played 28 minutes. He had 18 pts, 7-10 FG, 4-7 from three, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 TOs, +14.

Last season:
* Fredrick missed 6 games with two different injuries to his foot or ankle. The Hawkeyes went 4-2 in those contests.
* He also had offseason surgery on his right foot, sidelining him for six weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Frederick’s been hurt every year iirc. We need to get tough guys like Garza, Touissant, etc.

The B1G is just way too rough to compete/win with finesse b-ball players.

Since it is a lower leg injury, makes me wonder if it could be a fibula fracture. People can still play with that injury, it is just a matter of how much pain can a person tolerate.

Since it is a lower leg injury, makes me wonder if it could be a fibula fracture. People can still play with that injury, it is just a matter of how much pain can a person tolerate.

Almost positive its an ankle.

He was working his ankle on a half ball thing every time he sat Tuesday.

That wouldn't do anything for a fracture.

Reactions: mdhertle

My question is, why do they keep calling it a lower leg injury and not a sprained ankle/high ankle sprain? It just sounds fishy to me.

Reactions: Rifler
My question is, why do they keep calling it a lower leg injury and not a sprained ankle/high ankle sprain? It just sounds fishy to me.

That's what I've been saying also,.. In basketball a rolled ankle is probably the most common injury going and nobody would ever refer to it as a "lower leg injury"...

That's what I've been saying also,.. In basketball a rolled ankle is probably the most common injury going and nobody would ever refer to it as a "lower leg injury"...

Everybody is purposely vague about injuries in sports now.

Started with nfl

Hope it is not a high ankle sprain. That could linger for the rest of the season. 🤞

Hope it is not a high ankle sprain. That could linger for the rest of the season. 🤞

Could use some Miyagi mojo ... :). Worked for Daniel-san.

AstonishingHauntingDrafthorse-max-1mb.gif

Just not Aarhon Ulis, a smart legit point guard we refuse to play who is better than Joe T. Might not shoot as well as Jordan B. BUT can dribble drive, is fast with hands to play defense. I think there are enough positives to play him and turn these losses into WINS
Can you spell his name?

C.J. Is done for the season. Might make the ncaa tournament, IF the Hawks do.

I thought Tuesday he was massaging his FOOT, not the ankle. I agree if it was a sprain, they would call it that.

Jon, of course, works for CBS Sports.

Another good article from this morning.

Regarding Iowa and CJ?

Iowa badly misses CJ Fredrick
Fran McCaffery’s squad is now 13-3 this season with Fredrick in the lineup and 0-3 when he is not following Sunday’s two-point loss at Indiana. The 6-3 sophomore has been sidelined the past few weeks due to a lower leg injury and even though he only averages 8.7 points, Fredrick’s game is about much more than just his offense. A capable ball mover and overall stabilizer, Fredrick currently has a total of 37 assists to just four turnovers this season and is also shooting 50 percent from three-point range. His presence alone helps create less double teams from opponents on Luka Garza in the low post and also gives Iowa another long distance shooter to help space the floor alongside both Jordan Bohannon and Joe Wieskamp. Iowa has now lost four of its last five games.

The Full Story:

Last edited:
Wow, he's THAT valuable to Iowa?

Kid is a baller, no doubt, but he's not even averaging 10 ppg.

Maybe some cohesive defense could make up for some of his loss? Lol, defense?😆😆😆

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT