ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick

I've seen Frederick on Video. You can find his games if you look hard enough. I've hyperlinked them before here. Guys like he and Bohannon are very high level shooters and can be real assets offensively with the right combination of players on the court with them. Offensively, a guy like Carton, or even Locure (I've seen both play) would be make them a lot better. Fran really needs to do a better job at roster management. By this time in his career he should have a better gauge at what pieces he needs to coordinate a top-level team.

Yeah, I dont care if this guys is JJ Redick, its not a piece that fills a need or fixes anything with the players already here, almost all of whom suck at defense.

If Fran had the benefit of knowing that instead of this being his best team, like he thought, it was actually going to be a hodgepodge disaster, he probably keeps this kid as a walkon for now and looks for perimiter athleticism.

Jarrod Uthoff thinks You are a racist and full of crap
and so do I actually
That’s right, I forgot. Every Final Four team for the past 20 years has had 3-4 white guys in the starting lineup....silly me.
last Iowa team in the Final Four had a few white guys in case You forgot and it was a white guy who got the and 1 to beat G Town , bunch of reverse racists here . How bout You trash talk POC and see how fast the ban hammer comes out , the fact that the mods allow the racial trashing of whites is shameful .

Reactions: mtown66
and so do I actually

last Iowa team in the Final Four had a few white guys in case You forgot and it was a white guy who got the and 1 to beat G Town , bunch of reverse racists here . How bout You trash talk POC and see how fast the ban hammer comes out , the fact that the mods allow the racial trashing of whites is shameful .

Because 1980 was so much like 2018. Not to mention that Waite's game winner was about as out-of-character for him as it gets. Dare I point out that the Hawks wouldn't have been in that position without Lester (Arnold and Brookins).

Anyway...regardless of skin color...Fran's squad needs more athleticism and quickness. That's pretty clear.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
It appears the projection for this guy around here is that he's Ellingson 2.0.

He actually has a pretty strong offer list including Xavier, Indiana and Penn State.

Ellingson predominantly had mid major offers other than Iowa and Missouri.

I've set the expectations pretty low with him but I think he could have the potential to be comparable in style and shooting to Bohannon.

Is he the right type of player that this team needs?

He has been everyone's whipping boy this year, but Ellingson could have been a valuable player if he were on the court with a true PG, instead of being asked to be a PG. Last year, he played pretty well as a shooter off the bench. This year, I believe Ellingson's confidence took a big hit, when Fran asked him to be a PG, which he definitely is not.

I agree....Fran screwed up Ellingson playing him at PG and letting the dogs attack him...I don't think Ellingson can get his own shot, but if we had played 3 guards he could have contributed stretching the floor out with his 3pt shooting ability.

5th year Ellingson would be better than 1st year Fredrick. Now Fran is in position where his team is in dire need of an athletic guard and he's already given up the scholly. Nothing against Frederick, but Fran's track record is spotty on identifying shooting guards.

When has a 3* white guy ever amount to anything in college basketball??? Probably never. Our team is starting to look more like the BYU teams of the 50’s. Maybe we’ll start doing underhand free throws to complete the package.
Aaron White was pretty decent 3* white player for the Hawks, and Whitey is about as white as you can get:) Was Uthoff a 3 or 4*?

I don't disagree with the need for more athleticism, but some of our white boys would fit in pretty well, if Fran could recruit some quicker, more aggressive players, especially at guard, to play with them.

When has a 3* white guy ever amount to anything in college basketball??? Probably never. Our team is starting to look more like the BYU teams of the 50’s. Maybe we’ll start doing underhand free throws to complete the package.

Doug McDermott. Seriously like the first person I thought of...

How many you need to make you go away?

Aaron White was pretty decent 3* white player for the Hawks, and Whitey is about as white as you can get:) Was Uthoff a 3 or 4*?

I don't disagree with the need for more athleticism, but some of our white boys would fit in pretty well, if Fran could recruit some quicker, more aggressive players, especially at guard, to play with them.
Jarrod was a 3 star , oh and the last Iowa All American

Covington beat Fern Creek, Louisville, tonight 66-58 to move to the State Semis. CJ with 32 tonight in the win. I think he might be able to play a little bit.

And Fern Creek had beaten Cov Cath earlier this year and was widely viewed as #4 in Kentucky. Kentucky does some crazy stuff as they do a blind draw in their sweet 16 tourney so there are not seeds and thus many top ranked teams meet early.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article205644104.html

Last edited:
I agree....Fran screwed up Ellingson playing him at PG and letting the dogs attack him...I don't think Ellingson can get his own shot, but if we had played 3 guards he could have contributed stretching the floor out with his 3pt shooting ability.

5th year Ellingson would be better than 1st year Fredrick. Now Fran is in position where his team is in dire need of an athletic guard and he's already given up the scholly. Nothing against Frederick, but Fran's track record is spotty on identifying shooting guards.

I'm not sure I agree with this. No doubt we could use a quick guard with skills, but I expect Fredrick to be an immediate upgrade over Ellingson. I do think Fran doesn't do our shooting guards any favors by playing so many Big's. Maybe Wieskamp at the 3 is the answer to giving our 2G (and Bohannon) more space.

Iowa needs to replace cha to help fran in recruiting. The dumb roof is really an eyesore. Always has been from day one.

You may be right about Ellingson, I’m a big fan of seniors, but it’s really not an either/or situation. Someone was always going to transfer/leave at the end of this season and I think Fran realizes that. Frederick may have been the best available recruit in the fall but the Spring is a whole new recruiting season and you have to look at it that way.

Reactions: Hawkdome
The ole race card, it's being extremely over used nowadays
sorry the blatant trashing of whites is accepted , sorry I forgot , how about someone go over to the football forum and say Kirk should never offer a black QB and see how that goes over.

sorry the blatant trashing of whites is accepted , sorry I forgot , how about someone go over to the football forum and say Kirk should never offer a black QB and see how that goes over.

I think I may have misunderstood you, I think we are actually both on the same side of this issue.

Bump. This thread is early, but how many times did we hear CJ wouldn't have redshirted if he was ready to play as a freshman?

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
I think Fran Mac has made it pretty clear that CJ's redshirt was based on health. Four broken ribs and a very severe concussion after taking a charge in the open court from TC at full gallop.

Shows CJ had maybe more balls than brains cuz he was even skinnier last year. Guessing TC hits as hard as Earl Campbell. To paraphrase Louden Wainwright, CJ got squashed and there you are.

Oh I read those, trust me. My attempt at humor. What a bunch of trollers and dolts.

CJ is an absolute baller. Man is he really, really, really good.

I've seen Frederick on Video. You can find his games if you look hard enough. I've hyperlinked them before here. Guys like he and Bohannon are very high level shooters and can be real assets offensively with the right combination of players on the court with them. Offensively, a guy like Carton, or even Locure (I've seen both play) would be make them a lot better. Fran really needs to do a better job at roster management. By this time in his career he should have a better gauge at what pieces he needs to coordinate a top-level team.
I respect mitjacks posts, but does he feel this way now? We are at 13-5 and CJ is a major part of that. We are missing potential; starters Nunge, Bohannon, and P-Mac. Add to it Fredrick missed 2 games.

Reactions: Mitjacks
So CJ is going to be all conference and a team won the natty with a bunch of white guys. The usual dipshit trolls have been pretty quiet lately.

I respect mitjacks posts, but does he feel this way now? We are at 13-5 and CJ is a major part of that. We are missing potential; starters Nunge, Bohannon, and P-Mac. Add to it Fredrick missed 2 games.

I love CJ. I think he is a huge part of the team. All around great player far exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: seer_hawk
Assuming the semicolon was misplaced, big stretch to call PMac a potential starter. JBo for sure, Nunge a definite maybe over the long haul.

Agree that CJ is a huge part of the success this year, and I think I speak for most of us hear when I say success over the remainder of the year lies significantly on the health of his foot. Garza and Wieskamp are a tough combo, but we need a credible shooting threat to round things out, and CJ is that threat. I know, preaching to the choir.

Not to get the hype train humming even more but a healthy Bohannon, Patrick, Nunge and Perkins will make this a top 2 or 3 team in the big ten next year.

Reactions: chuck285
A healthy PMac would see reserve minutes for C Mac and Joe Dub in various configurations this season. Next season PMac, JoBo and Nunge are about as much bench as week need to see on the floor next season.

Nunge needs to follow Garzilla everywhere and do every drill that Garzilla drills. His objective should be 75% as good. We'd still have a good back up at 5/ P Mac and maybe a Murray boy getting a few minutes in the four spot gets some depth there. Jordan can easily cover all the bench guard minutes. I think the Indiana kid has a chance to play some minutes if Jordan starts and Joe T comes off the bench, have to get CJ a few bench minutes.

Basically, good team this year and a far better one next year.

Reactions: Ronman
Assuming the semicolon was misplaced, big stretch to call PMac a potential starter. JBo for sure, Nunge a definite maybe over the long haul.

Agree that CJ is a huge part of the success this year, and I think I speak for most of us hear when I say success over the remainder of the year lies significantly on the health of his foot. Garza and Wieskamp are a tough combo, but we need a credible shooting threat to round things out, and CJ is that threat. I know, preaching to the choir.
I thought I had the semicolon edited out. Toussaint has been starting. P-Mac has been rated as high as the 30's. If he had come into the season 100% would he not have a chance to be in the starting rotation? Move Connor back to PG and P-Mac to the 3 or 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT