ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick

Hawktucson

Team MVP
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2001
CJ has been one of the main reasons for Iowa's success! He is the real deal! Smooth, quick and athletic. His basketball savvy and tenacious defense have been exceptional! Deep range like JBO but has the inside game, soft touch and slashing drives to the hole as well. See the under the basket reversal along the baseline in today's game with Illinois. I feel more than comfortable with CJ and the ball. What an outstanding freshman!!!

Not only what you are referring to but I thought late in the game, his willingness to get down low and fight for rebounds when IL was punishing us just earlier was big. He was not alone down there but he made a couple of gritty plays to secure the ball. Similar to what we’ve seen from Connor.

He's the best case scenario for every Oglesby/Ellingson/Fleming type of guy Fran has recruited. It's crazy how poised he is as a freshman, love his confidence, how he doesn't back down. He plays at both ends, can handle the ball. And having three more years of him..

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I can see why you classified him with Oglesby, Ellington and Fleming (white dudes who chuck the three) but CJF is not in that realm. Dude was simply mis-recruited by everyone except Iowa. He is Adam Haluska not the dudes you named.

He's nowhere near the athlete Haluska is, and that's not a knock on him. Very few B10 players are.

He's the best case scenario for every Oglesby/Ellingson/Fleming type of guy Fran has recruited. It's crazy how poised he is as a freshman, love his confidence, how he doesn't back down. He plays at both ends, can handle the ball. And having three more years of him..

Ogelsby was reasonably athletic and could defend, but Ellingson and Fleming were not athletic enough to be B1G players.

CJ is athletic, has midrange game, defends, little bit of dribble drive. He is by far more talented than the previous 2G recruits. He's also more talented than Moss, who is good enough for decent minutes at Kansas.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe CJ had some good offers and we did not offer him a scholarship until after one became free after he committed.

A relationship with CJ’s I believe is what got our non-offer offer accepted.

A bit of luck was at play.

All of that aside, he is an incredibly complete player. If he can continue to improve he will be special. Even if he doesn’t he will still be a helluva player for 4 years.

CJ plays with good bball smarts, He was thee money in high school...wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the same at this level and certainly a deep threat beyond the 3pt line! Plays like a senior already, but he'll probably get better and better.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe CJ had some good offers and we did not offer him a scholarship until after one became free after he committed.

All of that aside, he is an incredibly complete player. If he can continue to improve he will be special. Even if he doesn’t he will still be a helluva player for 4 years.

Until Christian Welch said he was leaving, CJF did not have a schollie from Iowa. Fran told him to be patient and he took Christian’s schollie when Fran called him to tell of the good news. All teams slow played CJF I think to prevent other teams from offering and getting in on his recruitment.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Until Christian Welch said he was leaving, CJF did not have a schollie from Iowa. Fran told him to be patient and he took Christian’s schollie when Fran called him to tell of the good news. All teams slow played CJF I think to prevent other teams from offering and getting in on his recruitment.

Still in football season with ‘Christian Welch’ instead of ‘Christian Williams’. :)

Fleming was simply a bust. Brady had a few shooting moments but wasn't a B1G player. Ogles was a good defender and decent shooter.

CJ is a well rounded weapon. He's a much better shooter than any of those guys-very much in the Jordan/Moss shooting skill level. Good ball handler. Good defender, especially at stopping the ball on fast breaks. Runs his defender's ass off working in the half court. Can score mid range, hit jumpers in motion and take it all the way. Also just has a nose for the ball when its on the floor of bouncing around.

CJ will have a season close to 20 PPG season before his Iowa career ends.

Last edited:
CJ plays with good bball smarts, He was thee money in high school...wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the same at this level and certainly a deep threat beyond the 3pt line! Plays like a senior already, but he'll probably get better and better.
Something that caught my eye early was that CJ and Weezy performed well in H.S. tourneys. That will be valuable when we get to the BTT and beyond.

Reactions: crstuff
giphy.gif
Still in football season with ‘Christian Welch’ instead of ‘Christian Williams’. :)

Last edited:
Fleming was simply a bust. Brady had a few shooting moments but wasn't a B1G player. Ogles was a good defender and decent shooter.

CJ is a well rounded weapon. He's a much better shooter than any of those guys-very much in the Jordan/Moss shooting skill level. Good ball handler. Good defender, especially at stopping the ball on fast breaks. Runs his defender's ass off working in the half court. Can score mid range, hit jumpers in motion and take it all the way. Also just has a nose for the ball when its on the floor of bouncing around.

I can’t let this slide.
Ogelsby was one of the worst shooters in d1 history for the number of shots taken. The kid made like 6 career threes coming off screens yet inexplicably kept getting set up for them.

His uncle is Joe Frederick, who played at Notre Dame when Fran was an assistant there.

I love CJ but he is not the athlete that Haluska was, not even close. But as a basketball player you have a different comparison. Time will tell who was the better basketball player and it could go either way.

I love Frederick and think he has a better all-around game than Haluska and will have better career but Haluska single-handily carried the team his senior year. He was a monster that year.

Other than the wheel man Tyler Smith that was a wreck of a team. Perfect epitaph for the Alford years. Managed to finish fourth in the conference but was of so low repute that they didn't even get an NIT invite.

Reactions: owenhawk

I liked Moss but he is not in JoBo's shooting league.

Reactions: Garbaggio
CJF is a throwback type player. Gritty type player who does the little things like grabbing a few rebounds, set some solid screens for Weezy and really lets the game come to him. I have heard some compare him to former OSU and Celtic great John Havlicek and I kinda see that. He also reminds a little of Bobby Hansen

I’m a big fan of Tyler Herro little brother.

This is actually a really good comparison. Both extremely confident guys, lights out shooters, sneaky off the bounce game. C.J. being a little smaller is actually going to work out well for Iowa fans, a 6'5 - 6'6 slightly more athletic CJ probably doesn't stay four years here.

This is actually a really good comparison. Both extremely confident guys, lights out shooters, sneaky off the bounce game. C.J. being a little smaller is actually going to work out well for Iowa fans, a 6'5 - 6'6 slightly more athletic CJ probably doesn't stay four years here.
He actually looks like he could be Tyler’s little brother.

When asked how he would respond to Coach Underwood laudably calling him a "pain in the ass," he said, "That's kind of how I played in high school. Not a lot of people liked me."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT