ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
May 5 Update:

It's now official. CJ is heading to Kentucky. What a freakin' joke.

And based on the responses to this official announcement, everyone knows there was tampering involved.

April 20 Update:

Original Post:

I am not accusing anyone of anything. However, tampering keeps getting brought up when it comes to CJ Fredrick and Kentucky.

Well, I have done some research on tampering and what follows is what I have discovered.

Note that it is not until the athlete’s name appears in the transfer portal that other schools are allowed to contact the athlete about transferring. Coaches cannot interact with players who are enrolled at another school. They can’t contact family members or take calls from family members about athletes who want to transfer until those names are entered into the portal.

However, the rumors of CJ Fredrick to Kentucky have been around for months now (since February). Wouldn't that require a representative from the Fredrick family having a discussion or discussions w/ a representative from Kentucky?

Here are some examples of those not so secret rumors:

(1) Jack Pilgrim is a Kentucky basketball beat writer and he even admits it.

(2) Matt Jones is the creator & host of Kentucky Sports Radio. He has known for a while that there was plenty of smoke to the rumors. Drew Franklin, by the way is also part of Kentucky Sports Radio.

How did Drew know about CJ to Kentucky for weeks????

ONE PROBLEM. The NCAA prohibits coaches from purposefully contacting (or being contacted by) athletes or their families while that athlete is enrolled at another school. (Incidental contact not intended to entice a player from a program is considered a minor violation.)

When coaches tamper with an athlete at another school with the intent to lure that athlete to their own school, it is considered a Level II violation, which the NCAA describes as a “significant breach of conduct.”

The NCAA holds the head coach responsible for Level II violations in his/her program.

Level II violations, defined by the NCAA:

Violations that provide or are intended to provide more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive recruiting, competitive or other advantage; includes more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive impermissible benefit; or involves conduct that may compromise the integrity of the NCAA collegiate model as set forth in the Constitution and bylaws.

The NCAA does not specifically refer to “tampering” in its bylaws, but it prohibits coaches from engaging, essentially, in poaching practices.

Tampering is defined
as significant and/or numerous impermissible contacts with a student-athlete who is enrolled at another school, with the intent of recruiting them to transfer assuming that (under current NCAA rules) the student-athlete in question has not informed their current school of their intent to transfer or has not entered the transfer portal.

In Oct. 2018, the NCAA moved to create a transfer portal so that:

* A Division I athlete simply needed to inform the coaching staff and the compliance department that he/she wanted to transfer.

* Within 2 days, that athlete’s name would appear in the transfer portal.

* Once the athlete's name appears in the transfer portal, other schools would be allowed to contact the athlete about transferring

In enacting the simpler “transfer portal” legislation, the NCAA continued to warn against potential tampering situations, which are often suspected among coaches but seldom pursued. Coaches cannot interact with players who are enrolled at another school. They can’t contact family members or take calls from family members about athletes who want to transfer until those names are entered into the transfer portal.

An athletic program that believes one of its student-athletes had been tampered with
could report the potential violation by contacting its conference, by contacting the offending school or by reporting its suspicions directly to the NCAA.

Schools are obligated to self-report violations when they discover that violations have occurred. However, there are multiple ways in which the NCAA could be informed of a potential violation occurring, including from individuals with knowledge of the situation, opposing coaches/schools, etc.

Here is a similar story, where Seton Hall tampered & lured a player away from Syracuse.

Last edited:
The players know this and that's why it's typically their AAU coach or somebody that contacts the other school.

Proving tampering with it's extremely tight rules is basically impossible.

correct. Those thinking there is any possibility of pursuing tampering are dreaming. The player doesn't want to be here, so he won't be.

The players know this and that's why it's typically their AAU coach or somebody that contacts the other school.

Proving tampering with it's extremely tight rules is basically impossible.

Its just interesting that all of the Kentucky sports people knew that CJ to Kentucky has, for the most part, been a done deal since as early as February

correct. Those thinking there is any possibility of pursuing tampering are dreaming. The player doesn't want to be here, so he won't be.

i just think Fran is gonna be pissed when this was all going on behind his back.

On Web Apr 14 Fran gave an update on CJ in his press conference. He said that:
* He wouldn't need surgery
* He was chomping at the bit to get back in the gym

Fran is 100% honest (and loyal) to his players; it is pretty clear that CJ was not honest with Fran on what was going on.

i just think Fran is gonna be pissed when this was all going on behind his back.

Fran is 100% honest (and loyal) to his players; it is pretty clear that CJ was not honest with Fran on what was going on.

Okay, so what? Like it or not, it's on the coaches to create an environment that people want to play in and to be aware of where they are in their level of happiness with the program. We can complain all we want about loyalty and whatever, but the way things are today players have options.

Okay, so what? Like it or not, it's on the coaches to create an environment that people want to play in and to be aware of where they are in their level of happiness with the program. We can complain all we want about loyalty and whatever, but the way things are today players have options.

Exactly. Too many Iowa fans are stuck in the dinosaur age.

We had a poster on here in March who warned that this would be happening. Apparently not everyone on the Iowa team appreciated Connor's post feeds.

Exactly. Too many Iowa fans are stuck in the dinosaur age.

We had a poster on here in March who warned that this would be happening. Apparently not everyone on the Iowa team appreciated Connor's post feeds.
CJ wasn’t healthy so he couldn’t always be on the court and was ineffective at times when he was. I don’t think he has any argument about CMac. If anyone has an argument about CMac it would be Murray and the back up guards (Joe T,, Perkins, Ulis).

IMHO, if CJ knew he was leaving and didn’t want to be at Iowa then he should have shut it down so he could get healthier before moving on. Not take up minutes for selfish reasons.

That's the thing that people should have issue with, if true. It's not meathead sports fans being mad about a player transferring to another school. If CJ wanted to transfer all along, that should have been vocalized to Fran earlier than it seems it was. Most of us here assume Fran is not a magic man when it comes to the transfer portal. How much further behind is Iowa now? Fran is weeks behind developing relationships to find a portal guy to replace CJ's production. Not great!

Players are mature enough to decide their future and many are upset when they're denied opportunities, justifiably so, but then it can't be ignored when they act unprofessional (I know they're not 'professional'/paid, not the point). But the same goes with coaches... when a coach brings in a class of recruits and jumps to a high major program right after, he should receive some criticism too. I'm just annoyed that Iowa is now even less prepared to field a competitive roster.

CJ wasn’t healthy so he couldn’t always be on the court and was ineffective at times when he was. I don’t think he has any argument about CMac. If anyone has an argument about CMac it would be Murray and the back up guards (Joe T,, Perkins, Ulis).

IMHO, if CJ knew he was leaving and didn’t want to be at Iowa then he should have shut it down so he could get healthier before moving on. Not take up minutes for selfish reasons.

I'm referencing what another poster shared about their encounter with a player's family members at the BTT. This is all just message board speculation.

Obviously, if CJ were completely happy at Iowa, he would not be leaving. I don't think playing time was the issue. Iowa had very high expectations coming into last season. Needless to say, those expectations weren't met. The aforementioned poster stated in vague terms there was some discontent about a certain player's playing time. You can interpret that however you want. Human nature being what it is, it shouldn't be surprising if players and others close to the Iowa team didn't have similar views as the ones many of us have expressed on here.

Connor McCaffery is not a 4. He's just not. On top of that, he provides nothing offensively (outside the stellar post feeds of course) and is very limited athletically (especially on defense). If Iowa had no better options on the bench, then I'd get it. The problem is Iowa did have a better option on the bench. A much, much better option. A kid who could not only score, but who was also your most versatile defender. You don't think the players and family members took notice?

In the end, it's about winning. When a team doesn't meet expectations, human nature kicks in and the grumbling begins. Do you suppose a few players and family members had thoughts that if a certain player had a different last name he'd probably be riding the pine? Guys like CJ who didn't grow up an Iowa fan aren't going to care about being a Hawkeye. They want to play and they want to win. When the coach's son is viewed as a stumbling block to the latter (and to certain players the former as well), there's naturally going to be animosity.

The fact CJ's family had ties to Fran and that CJ was once willing to walk on and is now leaving speaks volumes.

Kids can transfer if they want to but if he really does transfer to Kentucky, what the hell is he thinking? Kid won't hardly see any time there.

Its just interesting that all of the Kentucky sports people knew that CJ to Kentucky has, for the most part, been a done deal since as early as February

Oh if you want to tell me there was tampering going on, I would 100% guarantee there has been.

Proving it is something totally different. Again, there are more than breadcrumbs there. It's pretty dang obvious this has been going on for a long time. My point is simply that it wasn't the dad or uncle working it out behind the scenes, it would have been the AAU coach or something like that.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
And his family received impermissible benefits from an Iowa booster while he was at Iowa.

Tampering.
Impermissible benefits.

It was like UNLV of the 80s and 90s!
Lol.

195d66ca-6e80-4229-b013-eccc8b1adf86_text.gif

I'm referencing what another poster shared about their encounter with a player's family members at the BTT. This is all just message board speculation.

Obviously, if CJ were completely happy at Iowa, he would not be leaving. I don't think playing time was the issue. Iowa had very high expectations coming into last season. Needless to say, those expectations weren't met. The aforementioned poster stated in vague terms there was some discontent about a certain player's playing time. You can interpret that however you want. Human nature being what it is, it shouldn't be surprising if players and others close to the Iowa team didn't have similar views as the ones many of us have expressed on here.

Connor McCaffery is not a 4. He's just not. On top of that, he provides nothing offensively (outside the stellar post feeds of course) and is very limited athletically (especially on defense). If Iowa had no better options on the bench, then I'd get it. The problem is Iowa did have a better option on the bench. A much, much better option. A kid who could not only score, but who was also your most versatile defender. You don't think the players and family members took notice?

In the end, it's about winning. When a team doesn't meet expectations, human nature kicks in and the grumbling begins. Do you suppose a few players and family members had thoughts that if a certain player had a different last name he'd probably be riding the pine? Guys like CJ who didn't grow up an Iowa fan aren't going to care about being a Hawkeye. They want to play and they want to win. When the coach's son is viewed as a stumbling block to the latter (and to certain players the former as well), there's naturally going to be animosity.

The fact CJ's family had ties to Fran and that CJ was once willing to walk on and is now leaving speaks volumes.

100% correct. When you have your kids on the team, problems can ensue. Unless they are just head and shoulders better than everyone else. This is true in youth sports, and is dialed up 100x at the college level. Players have options now. And if their perception (whether or not it is real) is that they won't get a fair shake at playing time, then they are are going to look around.

Your second paragraph suggests it was Murray. Your third paragraph suggests it was CJ. I said in my post that the ones who had an argument to be upset are Murray and the backup guards. In my opinion CJ has not argument. And if they’re referring to Murray then they and others may want to go read his tweets. Fans react too harshly and social media doesn’t help when the players and their families see it.

Your second paragraph suggests it was Murray. Your third paragraph suggests it was CJ. I said in my post that the ones who had an argument to be upset are Murray and the backup guards. In my opinion CJ has not argument. And if they’re referring to Murray then they and others may want to go read his tweets. Fans react too harshly and social media doesn’t help when the players and their families see it.

Why do you assume it was only the bench players who had issue with Connor starting? Players want to win.

Reactions: Mitjacks and HawkPT

If he wanted to leave IA so bad, why did he wait a month to decide to transfer? There’s 2 possible explanations i can think of 1)tampering, in that he was waiting to know he for sure had a spot on another team before entering portal (this one seems pretty obvious)
2) he was trying to f over fran by waiting to announce so fran couldn’t go to the portal and replace him. My guess, both things occurred.
If kentucky is where he lands he’ll fit in well with what kind of character he showed on his exit. Patricks tweet and unfollowing of cj tells me all i need to know.

If he wanted to leave IA so bad, why did he wait a month to decide to transfer? There’s 2 possible explanations i can think of 1)tampering, in that he was waiting to know he for sure had a spot on another team before entering portal (this one seems pretty obvious)
2) he was trying to f over fran by waiting to announce so fran couldn’t go to the portal and replace him. My guess, both things occurred.
If kentucky is where he lands he’ll fit in well with what kind of character he showed on his exit. Patricks tweet and unfollowing of cj tells me all i need to know.

I didn't catch that he unfollowed him. Damn.

Yeah, I agree. There definitely seems to be some animosity there. Without knowing the full story, I'm not willing to put all of it on CJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT