ADVERTISEMENT

CJ to Kentucky

Usually when they say "built different" they mean tough or exceptionally athletic, right? I mean I guess "injury prone" is "different" when you're used to guys who can play a full season?

Good luck to him or whatever, but I'll be glad when we have enough real news to not worry about this dude anymore.

LOL everyone on twitter is soooo mad.........
I get to an extent why people are upset. Things/situations change. Can't imagine how the relationship between Frederick's uncle and Fran soured to the point where CJ felt like leaving, but here we are.

Life is too short to be upset at this for long. Like it or not, if guys want to leave and have opportunity they will do so.

Still think he should have handled it better and just told Fran right from the point he knew he wanted to go elsewhere . I’m guessing he wanted to know he would get accepted at Kentucky before he told Fran he was leaving but I always figured it was better to be straight about your intentions than it’s seems CJ was and lied about them. Whatever , water under the bridge. I’ll go with the Hawkeyes that want to play here for Fran

I wish we could just hit the portal and bring a replacement in real quick.. CJ was a good ball player don’t get me wrong but he shouldn’t be irreplaceable like it seems.. It seems like Fran and co should be able to go out and find an upgrade actually.. smh

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
How is he a traitor?
Doing this during the season is the only thing that doesn't sit well with me... Then to see him be hesitant and not aggressive down the stretch and was a different player. Not saying he quit playing on the team but it sure smells that way. Could have been the injuries as well. Oh well, no love lost here. Character wise he deserves Cal and Cal deserves him.

How is he betraying anyone? For whatever reason, he decided to move on. It's his life. No one (not even anyone within the Iowa bball program) should feel betrayed.
I thought people were entitled to their feelings.... or is that only if they agree with you.

How is he betraying anyone? For whatever reason, he decided to move on. It's his life. No one (not even anyone within the Iowa bball program) should feel betrayed.
Lol you have zero professional or emotional investment in the Iowa basketball program as well as zero knowledge of conversations that did or didn’t happen. How easy this must be for you to say

Really no different then Cook leaving early after 2 years and lots of Hawkeyereporters were pissed then too. That's the beauty of college athletics, almost every 4 years or less a new crop of kids come in to replace the graduated or disenchanted players, time to move on from C.J. Fredrick and root on players that what to be Hawks. I'm ready for the new season to commence.

Reactions: CO_hawk
Really no different then Cook leaving early after 2 years and lots of Hawkeyereporters were pissed then too. That's the beauty of college athletics, almost every 4 years or less a new crop of kids come in to replace the graduated or disenchanted players, time to move on from C.J. Fredrick and root on players that what to be Hawks. I'm ready for the new season to commence.

I agree that it is time to move on, but I do not think that this compares to Tyler Cook. Rumors were that Cook’s goal was to go to the NBA when he first came to Iowa and that he planned on leaving after two years. Many people thought that he might not be ready, but he did what he felt was best and reached his goal. I am not aware of Tyler telling Fran he was coming back for his junior year as has reportedly happen with CJ. I believe Fran was able to prepare to replace Tyler, which CJ did not afford Fran the courtesy of providing.

I agree that it is time to move on, but I do not think that this compares to Tyler Cook. Rumors were that Cook’s goal was to go to the NBA when he first came to Iowa and that he planned on leaving after two years. Many people thought that he might not be ready, but he did what he felt was best and reached his goal. I am not aware of Tyler telling Fran he was coming back for his junior year as has reportedly happen with CJ. I believe Fran was able to prepare to replace Tyler, which CJ did not afford Fran the courtesy of providing.

Cook DID tell Fran he’d be back for his junior year.

Pretty telling how things are going at Kentucky when they are this excited about CJ. Unlike Iowa, CJ will see the pine when he goes into turtle mode and he won't have a union contract to start regardless of performance like Fran provided. Hoping for an Iowa-Kentucky NCAA tourney game so he can get erased by Keegan (assuming he isn't in a boot on the sideline).

At the end of the day CJ averaged 9ppg and was always nursing some undisclosed leg issue. Multiple guys capable of contributing more than he did who want to be here. He will have some nice shooting games like he did on occasion at Iowa, but he is who he is which is a very average college player. It's a nice PR stunt by Kentucky to bring the local kid back to play to the fanbase.

Reactions: HawkDub
How is he a traitor?
I don't know if traitor is the right word exactly, but seriously? You do get the thought process I hope. There was smoke about this happening, and even open discussion on social media with his uncle throwing this out there WEEKS before the tourney. Then he tells Fran everything is COOL just days before he enters the portal. Given Frans ties to his family you don't think this was a shitty deal by him, and his family, not to mention that its blatantly obvious that Kentucky was in contact with someone on his behalf during last season, which is supposed to be off limits. You get all that correct? Now if he had come to Fran and say you know what, I just want to move on and start fresh, like Nunge did that is fine, no problem. BUT, what he did is BS, and you can put whatever name on it you want.......

Not gonna lose once wink of sleep over this . We weren’t losing a 20/10 guy. A guy who showed flashes but couldn’t stay healthy. We will be fine without him . I want guys on the roster who want to be Hawks!

Not gonna lose once wink of sleep over this . We weren’t losing a 20/10 guy. A guy who showed flashes but couldn’t stay healthy. We will be fine without him
Very few of us are losing ANY sleep over this 24. CJ is not a difference maker, at least based on his two years at Iowa. This thread is basically about about how this all went down, and how the NCAA's grasp of any control over these kids leaving and being rerecruited goes further down the rabbit hole every year.

ADVERTISEMENT