ADVERTISEMENT

CJ to Kentucky

You can agree or disagree with how the situation was handled by CJ, but tampering as it pertains to college sports is an institution reaching out illegally to a player, regardless of whether or not a player responds. It’s an institutional charge
Tampering is an institutional offense, but the player who has been tampered with should at least not be permitted to become part of the team, which tampered to get him there. I doubt the NCAA would be smart enough to include that consideration, but then CJ would at least have to find plan B, which shouldn't be hard.

Tampering is an institutional offense, but the player who has been tampered with should at least not be permitted to become part of the team, which tampered to get him there. I doubt the NCAA would be smart enough to include that consideration, but then CJ would at least have to find plan B, which shouldn't be hard.
I don’t disagree with your suggested repercussions for a tampering case. My only point in my original response was that Kentucky (maybe/likely/definitely) committing tampering isn’t an indictment on CJ.

I made a post wishing him well, and another poster responded that most Hawkeye fans feel differently, citing tampering as one of the reasons why, which doesn’t make sense

Kinda like the NCAA did with Jok and Iowa State...they made them part ways and removed the possibility of Jok playing for the Cyclones.

The issue would be timing and process...the NCAA would need proof of tampering (which in this case we know of no evidence existing) and would need to process everything right away so the S-A would have time to change schools and not have their classes/academics negatively affected. And the tampering rules can be pretty vague and sometimes the S-A may not even know it is happening, so that brings up another isssue....punishing an innocent party.

It is all a mess and while people always blame the NCAA for these issues, it boils down to many of the coaches and schools not giving a shit.

Kinda like the NCAA did with Jok and Iowa State...they made them part ways and removed the possibility of Jok playing for the Cyclones.

The issue would be timing and process...the NCAA would need proof of tampering (which in this case we know of no evidence existing) and would need to process everything right away so the S-A would have time to change schools and not have their classes/academics negatively affected. And the tampering rules can be pretty vague and sometimes the S-A may not even know it is happening, so that brings up another isssue....punishing an innocent party.

It is all a mess and while people always blame the NCAA for these issues, it boils down to many of the coaches and schools not giving a shit.

Never heard of anything with ISU and Jok. Curious what happened with the recruitment of him?

It will be interesting what CJ does with good coaching.
Pretty stupid comment. Coach Cal mostly just recruits studs and then lets them figure out how to gel into a team. Remember, Cal didn't think CJ was good enough to recruit, even though he was POY coming out of KY, and had a tremendous run in the state tourney his senior year. Cal is a "great recruiter" (if you don't mind stretching the rules), and he is a good game coach. In terms of player development, I think I would go with Fran over Cal, but I admit that I am biased.

Pretty stupid comment. Coach Cal mostly just recruits studs and then lets them figure out how to gel into a team. Remember, Cal didn't think CJ was good enough to recruit, even though he was POY coming out of KY, and had a tremendous run in the state tourney his senior year. Cal is a "great recruiter" (if you don't mind stretching the rules), and he is a good game coach. In terms of player development, I think I would go with Fran over Cal, but I admit that I am biased.
Yes, You're 100% right. Fran is a better coach than Cal. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Deli owl
Yes, You're 100% right. Fran is a better coach than Cal. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RealisticInexperiencedAustrianpinscher-max-1mb.gif

FearfulSophisticatedFrillneckedlizard-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Deli owl
Doesn't anybody around here know how to use The Google? CJ was already committed to Iowa and had signed a letter of intent before his senior season.

Doesn't anybody around here know how to use The Google? CJ was already committed to Iowa and had signed a letter of intent before his senior season.
I sure haven't seen any evidence that Coach Cal was trying to recruit CJ, although he was playing a few miles away from Lexington. I am sure that it didn't hurt that Fran had connections with the Frederick family, but CJ wasn't being heavily recruited when Fran got his commitment.

Cal is the best recruiter in the game (legal or illegal), but he is definitely NOT the best coach in the game. I would take Fran's coaching over Cal's all day, and I know Fran isn't the best coach in the game.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Cal is the best recruiter in the game (legal or illegal), but he is definitely NOT the best coach in the game. I would take Fran's coaching over Cal's all day, and I know Fran isn't the best coach in the game.
I just said that Fran is clearly better at player development. He has repeatedly had all-B1G players, who were not not all highly-rated recruits. Cal just recruits over someone if they don't perform in their first year.

I just said that Fran is clearly better at player development. He has repeatedly had all-B1G players, who were not not all highly-rated recruits. Cal just recruits over someone if they don't perform in their first year.

What specific workouts, drills or motivation techniques have you seen Fran do that makes him better at developing players?

What specific workouts, drills or motivation techniques have you seen Fran do that makes him better at developing players?

None,.. But Cal does nothing, his players come in pre-developed and then leave before learning anything..

If you can't recruit to Kentucky, with all the amenities available to their athletes, you should just hang up your whistle!

I just see results. Unlike you, I don't have connections to the team, and I haven't been in Iowa City in almost 40 years. We seem to consistently have guys, who were not heavily recruited, but then become all-B1G players. I haven't seen much of any player development by Cal, or even a lot of effort to do so, since he will just recruit over someone who doesn't immediately perform.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT