ADVERTISEMENT

CJ vs Wieskamp

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
I LOVE that we have both and wouldn’t trade either but I think CJ is a better overall player based on his defense, shooting and ability to create his own shot.

Reactions: DanHawkPella
wbrhawkeye said:

I LOVE that we have both and wouldn’t trade either but I think CJ is a better overall player based on his defense, shooting and ability to create his own shot.

Completely disagree. Love both, but I’ll take Joe every time.
[/quote]
It’s an interesting debate. I’m just so happy we have both. Makes up for previous guards who were slow and shot way below their average in high school.

Reactions: Tunadog and blhawk
Don’t see how you can say CJ is better at getting his own shot, or is a better shooter for that matter.
I will bet his 3 point shooting percentage is better and I trust him driving to the basket much more than Wieskamp because he is a better ball handler.

Not true. Weiskamp is a helluva rebounder and probably better defender. But CJ is nails.

Still think Weiskamp brings more to the team. He has size and athleticism that CJ just doesn’t have and can really do everything on the floor. I think if he set up another step back behind the three point line he would get more open looks though. He has so many where the defender just barely gets to him so he turns down the shot.

Reactions: aurorabimmer
wbrhawkeye said:

Not true. Weiskamp is a helluva rebounder and probably better defender. But CJ is nails.
[/quote]
I agree Weasy is better rebounder due to his height but CJ is a better defender and has more steals.

Last edited:
Joe is more athletic, much stronger and a better ball handler and inside scorer.

CJ is not far behind by any means. I think he'll get stronger and hold position inside on smaller guys better. Nice turnaround for bigger defenders.

I disagree that Joe is more athletic or a better ball handler.

You think CJ could provide the oop tonight? Weezy had tighter handles on the drive. Weezy is way stronger inside. CJ is a very good guy in the open court, with a better eye for open shooters. Different kinds of ball handlers might be a better way to put it.

Joe is more athletic, much stronger and a better ball handler and inside scorer.

CJ is not far behind by any means. I think he'll get stronger and hold position inside on smaller guys better. Nice turnaround for bigger defenders.

I agree that Weezy is more athletic but CJ is the better ball handler.

I love both guys, but I don't remember CJ (almost) ever driving to the rim. He makes some nice cuts and is able to catch a pass quickly for a layup, but I don't think he drives one on one very much.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

Umm, no. Weiskamp is way more athletic and once he stops being afraid to penetrate and learn how to move without the ball, he will be unstoppable.

wbrhawkeye said:

Umm, no. Weiskamp is way more athletic and once he stops being afraid to penetrate and learn how to move without the ball, he will be unstoppable.
[/quote]
I love Weezey too but he looks far from being unstoppable at this point. Garza looks unstoppable unless they triple team him. CJ just plays with more confidence and swagger. He doesn’t seem to get flustered or pass up open shots.

Now THESE are the debates that are fun to have! Weezie been struggling shooting on road lately, it was so nice having CJ tonight to pick us up. Love em both. With CJ in Lincoln we are 4-2.
CJ has range from deep like Bohannon but what a gem of pickup! Committed without a scholly! I love both players and what they bring to the table!

Its funny how one game starts the fans and their bi polar reactions. CJ played well, and it was a big lift for him to play last night, but saying is a better overall player at this point is not defenseable. They are very different players. Joe W was off again last night from deep, but he's been averaging 22 points the last several games, and even found a way to score 20 in the Nebraska game, without the outside shot by staying aggressive. His defense is solid, and he blocks a lot of shots. He's also a much better rebounder. You also need to remember that next to Garza, he's the guy that each team looks to stop. He usually draws each teams best perimeter defender each night. Most of CJ's shots from outside are uncontested. They are very good complimentary players, and probably as good as we've had in a long time playing together on the wings.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Its funny how one game starts the fans and their bi polar reactions. CJ played well, and it was a big lift for him to play last night, but saying is a better overall player at this point is not defenseable. They are very different players. Joe W was off again last night from deep, but he's been averaging 22 points the last several games, and even found a way to score 20 in the Nebraska game, without the outside shot by staying aggressive. His defense is solid, and he blocks a lot of shots. He's also a much better rebounder. You also need to remember that next to Garza, he's the guy that each team looks to stop. He usually draws each teams best perimeter defender each night. Most of CJ's shots from outside are uncontested. They are very good complimentary players, and probably as good as we've had in a long time playing together on the wings.

Joe is a volume shooter who hunts his shots. CJ is a terrific passer who gets the ball out of his hands vs over dribbling like Joe. Joe seems to look CJ off alot while CJ is always finding Joe and screening. CJ is a way better defender, handler, passer... Joe is more of a scorer rebounder. Both terrific players.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
kceasthawk said:

Joe is a volume shooter who hunts his shots. CJ is a terrific passer who gets the ball out of his hands vs over dribbling like Joe. Joe seems to look CJ off alot while CJ is always finding Joe and screening. CJ is a way better defender, handler, passer... Joe is more of a scorer rebounder. Both terrific players.
[/quote]
I think this is a good assessment of their talent and strengths. I love that teams can’t put all their eggs in stopping one player on this team.

I don't think I've ever heard someone say joe hunts his shots. I've heard he doesn't shoot enough, which is true.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
wbrhawkeye said:

I don't think this was necessary.
[/quote]
I don’t think your contributions are necessary to this debate since you have nothing to add

I agree Weasy is better rebounder due to his height but CJ is a better defender and has more steals.

........ ........ ............ Weezy ........ CJ
minutes played ........ 535 ........ 371
steals ........ 20 ........ 13
blocks ........ 10 ........ 3
rebounds ........ 105 ........ 24
turn overs ........ 29 ........ 17
assists ........ 30 ........ 43

CJ does not have more steals (either raw total or per minute). I don't think height alone explains the 4 x difference in rebounds and 3 x difference in blocks.

Last edited:
On a related topic, who starts next year when JBo returns? I'd love to see teams try to defend the 3-point line plus Garza with Weiskamp, Frederick and JBo all on the floor at the same time. I hope they all return for next season.

Reactions: Hawktucson
Answer is both make each other better. They come as a package. With them on the wings, it allows our offense to start either on the left or right side. Does not allow opponent perimeter defense to cheat over to one side. If they do, both JW and CJ can hit the open shot or drive. If the defense does not overshift, opens up passing game to low or high post. Neither would be as efficient without the other on the other side. Conner is a capable rotation when one is resting too.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT