ADVERTISEMENT

CJF

Any word on how CJ's red shirt season progressed? Any substantial muscle gain? Any updates from practice?

My assumption is that he would play solid minutes at 2G

My observation based on some hs videos:

Tough/Clutch Competitor
Not B1G Body (yet)
Slightly Above Average Handles
Moderate Ability to Get Own Shot Off
Very Good Shooter
No Idea on Defense?

I saw on here and have heard a couple of time from IC friends that CJ's red shirt was injury related-broken ribs and a fairly bad concussion after taking a charge from TC at full gallop. According to these rumors/gossip (never heard the coaches mention it) CJ would have missed all of November and December.

The kid's highlight film is good but it is highlight film. If a kid can't shine on a highlight film you know you have a dud. The best early news on CJ is his comments about being dissed by Kentucky after being HS PoY in the state-love a kid with that particular kind of chip on the shoulder.

CJ still could have played. Although the broken ribs a month before the season started definitely did not help...

CJ is a pure shooter that has some good ballhandling skills. He is more athletic than most of our shooting 2 guards of the past. Hopefully that translates to better D. He is a higher IQ player, so if I had to bet, he will be better. And help improve the defensive side of the court. Of course there are some crossed fingers here. You never know.

Having taken the year off should help Fredrick acclimate to the college game. More muscle, more experience playing at a higher level, knowledge of Fran's system and more confidence. That should definitely help. It cannot hurt, I will leave it at that.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:
Any word on how CJ's red shirt season progressed? Any substantial muscle gain? Any updates from practice?

My assumption is that he would play solid minutes at 2G

My observation based on some hs videos:

Tough/Clutch Competitor
Not B1G Body (yet)
Slightly Above Average Handles
Moderate Ability to Get Own Shot Off
Very Good Shooter
No Idea on Defense?

Most on here have already assumed that Fredrick will be a bust and have him pigeon-holed as just another Oglesby or Ellingston type player.
I can't blame them, having only seen videos of him leading his Covington, Ky. team to Kentucky's One Class State Championship. I mean Iowa is so stocked with players that have led their teams to state championships.
If he can compliment JBO by providing another scoring threat to keep opponents from double teaming our all time 3 point shooter I'm all for having him play major minutes and playing defense will be a bonus. He may never score what was it, 19 points in under two minutes as Moss did against Minnesota, but if he's more consistent game to game, he will more than fill Isaiah's shoes and push CMac to the bench. Having 2 point guards on the floor at one time that can score is diffidently better then having just one.
C.J. Fredrick....come on down!

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Heard a reporter on DM sports radio on Friday talk that there were reports that other than JBo that CJF looked like the best guard on the team in practice. He also was kamentlam the loss of Moss but I have heard good reviews of CJ in practice.

Sorry Gary - but you need a least 1,000 posts before you get to make up your own words here. ;)

Never seen him play, but he sounds like a baller. Maybe like Aaron White (different body, position, etc.) in that he's a gym rat with lots of intangibles to go with some really good skills. Maybe he'll be like Joe!

From his videos I think this is what we will get.

Big time compettiotor and confidence
Great Shooter
Good mid range shooter
Decent ball handler
Very limited off the dribble and on defense.

Sounds like....the rest of the team does it not?

Toussaint's video has me more intrigued as to what he might bring than CJs.

I'm neutral on him in that I expect neither another player that's one of Fran's overhyped practice superstars nor a secret weapon that will be THE answer to Iowa's 2 guard issues.

I'm waiting to see what happens come meaningful game time.

Reactions: unIowa
From his videos I think this is what we will get.

Big time compettiotor and confidence
Great Shooter
Good mid range shooter
Decent ball handler
Very limited off the dribble and on defense.

Sounds like....the rest of the team does it not?

This is my concern. Iowa sorely lacks playmakers and penetrators offensively and those that can stay in front of their man and protect the rim defensively. I don’t see how either one of those issues have been addressed. As I have said many times, Fran is great at pumping up his players in the media, but often what we see doesn’t equate to what he says. I take everything with a wait and see approach.

It was supposed to be lamenting but my keyboard sticks on this site for some reason.
It's simple. Your keyboard knows full well.that it's under intense pressure to not make a mistake... because it will get stomped on. Sometimes, keyboards buckle under the pressure. ;)

CJF will make everyone forget Moss. Wait and see

I tend to agree, though it is not a high bar. Moss was very inconsistent, seemed to rarely finish games.

If CJF can play adequate defense, hit FT's, share the ball and hit an occasional 3, it would be at least a wash - just bringing great effort every night would get him in the ball park.

This is my concern. Iowa sorely lacks playmakers and penetrators offensively and those that can stay in front of their man and protect the rim defensively. I don’t see how either one of those issues have been addressed. As I have said many times, Fran is great at pumping up his players in the media, but often what we see doesn’t equate to what he says. I take everything with a wait and see approach.

Sounds a lot like Moss

I tend to agree, though it is not a high bar. Moss was very inconsistent, seemed to rarely finish games.

If CJF can play adequate defense, hit FT's, share the ball and hit an occasional 3, it would be at least a wash - just bringing great effort every night would get him in the ball park.

Exactly. It won’t take much to replace what they were getting in that spot. And if CJ can be more consistent then Moss on a gameto-game basis - which again isn’t a high bar - that is even better.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Toussant? He certainly can do all of that but protect the rim. Patrick has some of those attributes and is an above average shot blocker.

Rothstein says Moss is visiting Arkansas this week. Also interested is Louisville, Minnesota, Iowa State, Illinois, Cincy.

I guess he is not planning on going to a midmajor to be the man as some predicted.

Rothstein says Moss is visiting Arkansas this week. Also interested is Louisville, Minnesota, Iowa State, Illinois, Cincy.

I guess he is not planning on going to a midmajor to be the man as some predicted.
The only mid major would be Illinois on that list

Reactions: ichawk24

That’s interesting. He might get less time at some of those places then he would at Iowa. Makes me feel even better that he was worried of getting less time due to CJF or someone playing over him. Combes you are an Illinois fan - your thoughts? Can’t see him starting at Illinois with their starting guards.

Maybe these high level power five coaches are stupid and all our brilliant armchair experts are better evaluators of talent than these professionals.
Or maybe they are more objective and believe that Moss can be a valuable contributor for their programs next season. Evidently we have a star frosh ready to replace him in CJ. No problem.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT