ADVERTISEMENT

Clark

Totally agree! Great effort, never gave up. Brewer is tough on his feet, strong kid and aggressive. But kudos to Cory, would've liked a win there but no shame in that match. Good days ahead with Cory Clark!

Originally posted by CFNiteHawk85:
His time will come.
Agree. Love his effort. Didn't go into a shell when he was getting worked in the 2nd. Thought he might turn him at the end.

Yes great effort. I love how aggressive he was but maybe should he should have set up a couple of those shots. Brewer was huge compared to Cory.

Should have kept cutting him and working for TD's. Also sprawling and keeping the match close early on would have been a good game plan rather than try to counter and horse a guy like Brewer. Oh well more disappointment for the Hawks. It's getting to be the norm around here unfortunately.

Originally posted by Lsanders20:
Should have kept cutting him and working for TD's. Also sprawling and keeping the match close early on would have been a good game plan rather than try to counter and horse a guy like Brewer. Oh well more disappointment for the Hawks. It's getting to be the norm around here unfortunately.
What? Counter strategy? Half of Brewer's takedowns came on reshots/counters. (That is not intended to be critical of Brewer, BTW. He wrestled lights out and was a deserving winner.)

Cory letting guys in on legs was magnified against Brewer but he kept fighting hard. Much respect young man.

In mid January and early Feb I was worried clark might not be an AA. He kept battling tonight and never gave up. Congrats on a great year Cory!

I think he and Gilman need to lead a change in offensive aggressiveness for next year. Clark busts his ass to try and win and isn't afraid to take some risks here and there. He is fun to watch and will certainly be back next year.

THE HERMENATOR

Originally posted by 20X:
Yes great effort. I love how aggressive he was but maybe should he should have set up a couple of those shots. Brewer was huge compared to Cory.
Around 5 pounds of muscle would help. He has looked tiny against all his opponents this year. Awesome season.

Great job for Clark. He was just a little light in the shorts. Should be a monster next year.

No question Brewer out horsed Clark. That said, Clark is by far my favorite to watch wrestle. Iowa has a really great base going into next year. 25 33 49 74 84 97 will be rock solid. How many other teams will possibly have 6 guys that could possibly in the top 5??? Gilman needs to get after it immediately after the whistle blows and he'll be fine. Iowa is by far one of the best programs in D1, period!!! Go Hawks!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by GetNAfterIt:
No question Brewer out horsed Clark. That said, Clark is by far my favorite to watch wrestle. Iowa has a really great base going into next year. 25 33 49 74 84 97 will be rock solid. How many other teams will possibly have 6 guys that could possibly in the top 5??? Gilman needs to get after it immediately after the whistle blows and he'll be fine. Iowa is by far one of the best programs in D1, period!!! Go Hawks!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Unfortunately, PSU and tOSU fit that description -- and each program will have a few probable finalists.

As for Clark, hats off to him on a great season. He now has a 5 and a 2. Let's finish off with a 1-1. Congrats to Cory, and hats off for the aggressive style!

Great season by Clark. Hope he builds on his runner up finish and turns it into two championships the next two years. He has the tools and the attacking mindset.

Then "Leave".

Incredibly high on Clark.

Went up a weight class but still finished second.

Steadily improved throughout the year, and it showed in the last 6 weeks.

Showed that he can consistently beat Richards, DiJulius. Came within an inch of knocking off Dardanes at B10s.

Finally slayed the ghost of Guilibon.

Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid to shoot.

Has a low single that I wish more Iowa wrestlers used. Every time McIntosh takes down Burak, it's with a low single.

Is a total hammer on top. Turns guys regularly.

Lost to a better, stronger wrestler last night.

But, if you are looking for rays of light among the storm clouds, the last minute was great. Took Brewer down at last and then beat the hell out of him on top. I know Brewer won convincingly, but it's a bit ironic that in the last 60 seconds he was called for stalling twice, had his head planted in the mat, and was expending every last ounce of energy not to get cranked over. Yeah, go ahead and raise your hands in victory, you very much earned it, but you didn't exactly impose your will at the end, did you?

I think Clark takes him next year.

Clark has shown he can make the adjustments when he sees guys the second time around. He can and will make the necessary changes and his last two years will be fun to watch. Love how he wrestles!

If you get offensive you make the finals that's bow Cory did it. The rest of the team will follow a leader. He needs to be our leader without a question. When you don't have a Metcalf/McDonough/Ramos as a leader your team will not follow. Clark is an equal to those three. He and only he will be the one who has to push the squad. Not a knock on Brands but guys in the room will respond to a fellow teammate if he shows them the way. That is what has been lacking. There has not been a "true leader" on this team for two years now. Clark did great last night even though he lost. Showed heart and represented the University of Iowa fantastic. Could not be more proud to watch one of our lose with dignity and heart and never giving up. I fully expect this to fuel him even more.

Originally posted by Gusaford:
Incredibly high on Clark.

Went up a weight class but still finished second.

Steadily improved throughout the year, and it showed in the last 6 weeks.

Showed that he can consistently beat Richards, DiJulius. Came within an inch of knocking off Dardanes at B10s.

Finally slayed the ghost of Guilibon.

Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid to shoot.

Has a low single that I wish more Iowa wrestlers used. Every time McIntosh takes down Burak, it's with a low single.

Is a total hammer on top. Turns guys regularly.

Lost to a better, stronger wrestler last night.

But, if you are looking for rays of light among the storm clouds, the last minute was great. Took Brewer down at last and then beat the hell out of him on top. I know Brewer won convincingly, but it's a bit ironic that in the last 60 seconds he was called for stalling twice, had his head planted in the mat, and was expending every last ounce of energy not to get cranked over. Yeah, go ahead and raise your hands in victory, you very much earned it, but you didn't exactly impose your will at the end, did you?

I think Clark takes him next year.
Great post. Agree 100%. Fortunately for Cory, I think Brewer will be Seth Gross or Topher Carton's problem next year, because I can't imagine that kid getting back down to 133. Looks more like a 149-pounder than a 133 to me.

I like Cory's chances of winning it all the next two years. He's put together two extremely impressive years already, and he's just now starting to his his stride at the D1 level. You could see it all coming together around January. He certainly has the tools to be a national champ, and he's wrestling like he believes.

I think Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Meyer, Brooks, and Burak will make a very strong nucleus for next year's team. All good kids who compete hard. Between them, I think we'll have all the leadership we need. Also think fans will like what they see from Grothus or Cooper at 157 as well as Paddock at 165 and Gross or Carton at 141. This group might shape up into a title contender yet, although PSU and tOSU will be stacked.

How great was that match for a neutral though? Both Clark and Brewer were worthy finalists. Loved hearing Brewer talk about not liking guys that stand around all match doing nothing. Two exciting warriors last night.

Really enjoyed watching Clark improve the last 2 months. I respect him for putting on a tough ride while actually trying to work a pinning combination.
He will certainly be in thick of it next year, but Brewer is tough and Taylor (Wisc) is a matchup problem for certain guys. I also wonder what weight Megaludis may wrestle next year. He will probably be a high AA/finalist at whatever weight he wrestles at.

Cory brings it. Always has. Nothing to improve upon there. What Tom was saying later is that he "reverted" to some old tactics, with his poor shot selection with no setup and from a distance, and obviously his defense from his feet could be better. BUT, he shot, even ill advised shots are better than none at all IMO. It's still not good, but it beats standing around, and shows you he's got the guts to go and get it. I'm sure he knows that, and hopefully in the heat of the battle in the future he'll adjust accordingly. He reacted instead of thinking it thru, most of the time that will serve him well.

He improved throughout the year, which is what we are always seeking. Great job by him.

h
Grest job by Cory could see the imprvement in the last month. Really did not surprise me that he fought himself to the finals the kid has the right attitude and lots of guts...He needs to get stronger and hopefully not gain to much weight .If his weight
goes up working to get stronger than keep going and go to 141 maybe could do that with no cutting. I love this kid. He can be a leader for the next 2 years.

Like I posted before hopefully we can recurit Lee and Hall both of these studs can start as true freshman in my opinion and with Hall,, Kremer,and Manerill (sp) in a line up in 2017 with Gillman and Clark being srs and Meyer and Brooks being Srs and Sorensen being a Jr this team can challenge with Penn State, Ohio State.

Parity in wrestling is good for the sport for the next few years if these teams can stay healthy will be a dog fight. I really thought this year that total points would be under a 100 to win and it was only 102.

Article about Clark from Hawk Central with video of Brands.

lol.....Brands calls Clark a "scatter+brain a little bit. He's a dumb blond."
sign0093.r191677.gif

Link

Wrong. He was losing the TD battle badly, and is a very good top wrestler. His odds of turning Brewer were much better than taking him down four times in a row. Importantly, he made the decision to try to turn then he stuck with it and went for it 100%.

Brewer was simply wrestling fantastic -- two majors and a fall coming into the match -- and got ahead early. But Clark didn't quit and put himself in a position to win. Gutsy effort and a good sign for the future.

+1 Art. I liked Cory's chances turning him in the last minute better than taking him down three times.

Originally posted by Tony Hawk:
If you get offensive you make the finals that's bow Cory did it. The rest of the team will follow a leader. He needs to be our leader without a question. When you don't have a Metcalf/McDonough/Ramos as a leader your team will not follow. Clark is an equal to those three. He and only he will be the one who has to push the squad. Not a knock on Brands but guys in the room will respond to a fellow teammate if he shows them the way. That is what has been lacking. There has not been a "true leader" on this team for two years now. Clark did great last night even though he lost. Showed heart and represented the University of Iowa fantastic. Could not be more proud to watch one of our lose with dignity and heart and never giving up. I fully expect this to fuel him even more.
This isn't even close to true, yet. I was really impressed with Cory's finals match. He lost to a tough kid but really went down swinging. He also improved all season which is nice to see. I think part of that was because he didn't build up to 133 quite as much as he should have in the off season.

This post was edited on 3/24 9:48 AM by hawkeyesports92

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT