ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2023 #2 Overall Meyer Shapiro to Cornell

Yes...we heard. Best of luck to the young lad.

images

I get having Yanni and Dake as draws, was Grey that instrumental in Kolls success? Or is he just that good of a recruiter?
Grey was the main hands on guy in the room. Koll is a classic "CEO" coach. Still an amazing training situation without him.

And Cornell has arguably the best recruiting set up of any team in the country. On top of strong tradition and ivy league academics, they aren't limited to the 9.9 scholarships because financial aid at the ivies are 100% need-based. I'd guess few on the team are paying that much and those that are can afford it. And of the ivies, it's the probably the easiest to get into. It's a dream job.

Reactions: redghost1974
Grey was the main hands on guy in the room. Koll is a classic "CEO" coach. Still an amazing training situation without him.

And Cornell has arguably the best recruiting set up of any team in the country. On top of strong tradition and ivy league academics, they aren't limited to the 9.9 scholarships because financial aid at the ivies are 100% need-based. I'd guess few on the team are paying that much and those that are can afford it. And of the ivies, it's the probably the easiest to get into. It's a dream job.

I think Cornell benefits by having Ivy level academics but also the land grant side, correct?

Reactions: dunkej01 and js8793

Dream Job? They were nothing until Koll took over. He made it into something pretty special. I love having them in the mix. From a fan's perspective, it is great to see Cornell with good teams and good kids. Hopefully, Princeton and a few others will follow suit.

Dream Job? They were nothing until Koll took over. He made it into something pretty special. I love having them in the mix. From a fan's perspective, it is great to see Cornell with good teams and good kids. Hopefully, Princeton and a few others will follow suit.
Penn State wasn't much until Cael took over. Doesn't mean it wasn't a sleeping giant. Cornell will continue to be a great program as long as it has a solid coach. It's a much lighter lift than all but a few programs.

I think Cornell benefits by having Ivy level academics but also the land grant side, correct?
Yes, I believe part of the university is public (not sure that's quite the correct way to describe it but close), so it's a lot easier to get into than the rest of the ivies.

Yes, I believe part of the university is public (not sure that's quite the correct way to describe it but close), so it's a lot easier to get into than the rest of the ivies.
The acceptance rate at the College of Agriculture (one of the three land grant (aka "public") colleges at Cornell) is around 11%. A lot easier, perhaps, compared to Princeton's 4.4%. Still not "easy."

• Haha
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Wasn't Nickerson the the first big "get" for Koll? IMHO the ball really started rolling from that point for Cornell.
Both Travis Lee (2003, 2005) and Jordan Leen (2008) won NCAA titles prior to Nickerson (2009). 2002 began the Cornell run of multiple AAs that continues through this year, with 2003 beginning the streak of three or more AAs that continues (2020 notwithstanding).

Reactions: redghost1974
Both Travis Lee (2003, 2005) and Jordan Leen (2008) won NCAA titles prior to Nickerson (2009). 2002 began the Cornell run of multiple AAs that continues through this year, with 2003 beginning the streak of three or more AAs that continues (2020 notwithstanding).
I had forgotten about T. Lee. I was thinking Nickerson was the biggest name Koll had pulled at that point. Thanks for filling the gaps.

I had forgotten about T. Lee. I was thinking Nickerson was the biggest name Koll had pulled at that point. Thanks for filling the gaps.
Well he was (Nickerson), but Lee kind of got the ball rolling for Koll at Cornell as it turned out.

Not positive but pretty sure Nickerson was the #1 overall recruit. First 5x NY Champ and 4x Fargo Champ (2 Cadet, 2 Junior). Pretty heady stuff very few can compete with (before or since).

ADVERTISEMENT