ADVERTISEMENT

classic Alford

Doing less with more is the Alford way.

Can’t believe he still gets the caliber of recruits he does. I know UCLA has the history, but there are plenty of good coaches at historically elite schools who are actually succeeding in the tourney pretty much every year. Plus, Alford is an arrogant douche. Do. Not. Understand.

I’ll admit it, I am not above enjoying the firestorm.

Not sure why the Bruins consistently drove and kicked it our to 3 point line all night

They could have had their way in the lane with all their size

Classic Iowa fans, can;t get over anything and let it go...

Fully agree. Its not like he wasn't a "stand up" guy when he told the University of New Mexico that he had no interest in a long term deal with that university because he was looking to take a job with the UCLA . . . oh, wait . . .

When you see a self-interested, lying, "Faux" Christian, he deserves to be called on the carpet regardless of his job history.

Fully agree. Its not like he wasn't a "stand up" guy when he told the University of New Mexico that he had no interest in a long term deal with that university because he was looking to take a job with the UCLA . . . oh, wait . . .

When you see a self-interested, lying, "Faux" Christian, he deserves to be called on the carpet regardless of his job history.

Maybe that is the new model for success in this country. It seems to apply to more and more...

Fun facts regarding Alford's NCAA history as a coach:

At Iowa, he was 1-3 in NCAA games.
As a 10 seed, he was 0-1.
As a 7 seed, he was 1-1 (winning against a double-digit seed).
As a 3 seed, he was 0-1.

At UNM, he was 2-3 in NCAA games.
As a 3 seed in 2010, he was 1-1 (losing to the sixth seed)
As a 3 seed in 2013, he was 0-1.
As a 5 seed in 2012, he was 1-1 (losing to the fourth seed)

At UCLA, he is 6-4 in NCAA games.
As an 11 seed, he went 2-1 in 2015. They won a controversial game against the sixth seed (Syracuse) on a last-second phantom goal tending call and then beat the 14th seed in the second round. Lost to the second seed.
As a 4 seed, he went 2-1 in 2014. He won against the 13 and 12 seeded teams and lost to the first seed.
As a 3 seed in 2017 (with several first round NBA players on the roster), he went 2-1. He beat the 14 and 6 seeded teams and lost to the second seeded team.

By my count, Alford's 19 NCAA teams at Iowa, UNM and UCLA have won a grand total of only 2 games against teams who have been single-digit seeded teams.

His 11 seeded team beat 6 seeded Syracuse (ref aided) in 2015. His 3 seeded team beat 6 seeded Cincinnati in 2017.

In those 19 games, his 3rd seed teams have lost to the 14th seed on two occasions (2006 and 2013).

In those 19 games, his team has been the lower seeded team on seven occasions. His teams are 1-6 in those games. His only victory over a better seeded team is the ref-aided game against Syracuse in 2015. But for the phantom goal tending call, Alford's teams would not have a single victory over a better seeded team in the NCAA tournament as a coach at Iowa, UNM or UCLA.

Alford has taken 10 teams from Iowa, UNM or UCLA to the NCAA tournament. In those 10 years, his teams have been a #3 seed on four occasions. His record? 3-4. Those #3 seed teams have done no better beating a #6 seed. They have lost to a #14 seed twice, a #6 seed and a #2 seed.

In those 10 years, Alford's teams have not beaten a team seeded better than 6th.

Not exactly what I'd call NCAA success.

Didn't watch UCLA play this year. Does he still have nice hair? Tonya looking good? That covers my level of interest concerning him.

Hate to be the one defending Alford, but he did lose three pretty good players before the season even started due to their stupidity and he has another pretty good class coming in next year. That said, he had better produce soon as the UCLA fans are some of most entitled in the country.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Why don't you say what you really think ... Mr. sportswriter:

:eek::);)

Steve Alford Is A Terrible Basketball Coach And UCLA Deserves Better

Two years ago, Alford went 15-17. At UCLA. I will repeat that, because it’s utterly insane. With the fertile recruiting grounds Los Angeles has to offer, Alford went 15-17 during the 2015-16 season. Lonzo Ball got him to the Sweet 16 last year, and he was out in the First Four this season. Is this really the best UCLA basketball can do?

Oh, and lets not forget that Alford is also a horrible person.

It’s long past time for Alford to go. He’s simply not a good coach. Anyone can recruit at UCLA, it takes a special kind of awfulness to fail with that kind of talent. Alford has failed in six years leading the Bruins.

he actually gave back a year on his contract after a bad season but then got it back after last year i believe

has he been there 4 or 5 yrs now? man, time flies! he left Iowa 11 years ago and Iowa fans still loathe him!

Iowa fans loathe him (yours truly included) but didn't New Mexico have a very favorable opinion of him? I seem to remember their fans loving him while he was there. I do think the Pierre Pierce incident affected his favorability in Iowa quite a bit.

Reactions: Franisdaman

As a 3 seed, he was 0-1.

As an 11 seed, he went 2-1 in 2015. They won a controversial game against the sixth seed (Syracuse) on a last-second phantom goal tending call and then beat the 14th seed in the second round. Lost to the second seed.
As a 4 seed, he went 2-1 in 2014. He won against the 13 and 12 seeded teams and lost to the first seed.
As a 3 seed in 2017 (with several first round NBA players on the roster), he went 2-1. He beat the 14 and 6 seeded teams and lost to the second seeded team.

By my count, Alford's 19 NCAA teams at Iowa, UNM and UCLA have won a grand total of only 2 games against teams who have been single-digit seeded teams.

His 11 seeded team beat 6 seeded Syracuse (ref aided) in 2015. His 3 seeded team beat 6 seeded Cincinnati in 2017.

In those 19 games, his 3rd seed teams have lost to the 14th seed on two occasions (2006 and 2013).

In those 19 games, his team has been the lower seeded team on seven occasions. His teams are 1-6 in those games. His only victory over a better seeded team is the ref-aided game against Syracuse in 2015. But for the phantom goal tending call, Alford's teams would not have a single victory over a better seeded team in the NCAA tournament as a coach at Iowa, UNM or UCLA.

Alford has taken 10 teams from Iowa, UNM or UCLA to the NCAA tournament. In those 10 years, his teams have been a #3 seed on four occasions. His record? 3-4. Those #3 seed teams have done no better beating a #6 seed. They have lost to a #14 seed twice, a #6 seed and a #2 seed.

In those 10 years, Alford's teams have not beaten a team seeded better than 6th.

UCLA beat SMU, not Syracuse in 2015.

As a 3 seed, he was 0-1.

Any reason you left out the 1998-1999 SW Missouri State team that was seeded 12th and beat a #5 seed and a #4 seed?

Reactions: mtown66 and NI hawk
Iowa fans loathe him (yours truly included) but didn't New Mexico have a very favorable opinion of him? I seem to remember their fans loving him while he was there. I do think the Pierre Pierce incident affected his favorability in Iowa quite a bit.

Well, Alford made UNM better. He made Iowa worse. All a matter of perspective I guess.

Even without Pierre Pierce, I was not an Alford fan. Guy's tenure here was mediocre.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Any reason you left out the 1998-1999 SW Missouri State team that was seeded 12th and beat a #5 seed and a #4 seed?

Yeah . . . because that is when Alford was proclaimed to be one of the best up and coming coaches in America and a "hot" coaching prospect. It is what has happened since his one-time improbable run with Southwest Missouri State that demonstrates that he is far from a "big time" producer.

Reactions: Rodney-Henderson

My uncle was on the coaching search committee for UNM and they loved him . . . told me that Alford appeared to be penitent over what happened in Iowa City and the Pierre Pierce situation and that he learned some valuable lessons about humility. They bought his schtick hook, line and sinker until he was introduced as the UCLA coach three days after agreeing to a 10 year extension at UNM and giving a supposedly heart felt speech about staying in Albuquerque and building a powerhouse program. I saved the text exchange with my uncle who was crowing after Alford agreed to the extension and my response after he signed with UCLA.

Suffice it to say . . . he's no longer adored. He's hated. They refer to him as Alfraud as well.

Alford should have never left New Mexico. He was the big fish in a small pond at a school where bball was the main sport and give him credit he did well there. Put him back to being a small fish in the big pond that is LA and well Stevie isn't so great. Considering that UCLA can attract all the one and done top tier talent and he's been a big disappointment. Considering they fired Howland who made multiple final 4s and one titile game before him.

It's one of those cases where a coach like Ben Jacobson is probably better suited for a UNI then jump to a Big 10 or 12 school. Alford great with mid major schools. Sub par with the bigger schools to say the least.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Alford won't be there after next year, if they don't go to at least the Sweet 16. Several coaches before him were fired with at least as much success (Howland and Herrick). Some UCLA fans still are expecting the last decade of Wooden, which will never happen again at any school.

18.2 million reasons to take a chance at UCLA. Double his base salary at UNM.

It’s not like Alford will have a hard time finding work when UCLA doesn’t work out. That’s if he even wants to continue coaching. Alford could retire pretty comfortably at 53, with all of his kids out of high school.

Alford won't be there after next year, if they don't go to at least the Sweet 16. Several coaches before him were fired with at least as much success (Howland and Herrick). Some UCLA fans still are expecting the last decade of Wooden, which will never happen again at any school.

Howland and Harrick were both fired for reasons beyond wins and losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT