ADVERTISEMENT

classic Alford

Hate to be the one defending Alford, but he did lose three pretty good players before the season even started due to their stupidity and he has another pretty good class coming in next year. That said, he had better produce soon as the UCLA fans are some of most entitled in the country.
who's the one that signed those morons? ;)

Reactions: Rodney-Henderson
I despise Steve Alford, the person and the coach.

I don't like that Todd Lickliter cratered our program by his 3rd year as head coach (we're still trying to recover from that brand destruction in Year 8 of Fran), but he seemed on the surface to be a decent human being. Can't say the same for Alford at all.

From what I saw last night he did not have much on the court to work with. In addition, UCLA played like they were insulted by the 11 seed play-in game. The Wilkes guy from Indiana looked decent, but Welsh laid an egg offensively and Golomon was in foul trouble and missed most of the 2nd half.

I despise Steve Alford, the person and the coach.

I don't like that Todd Lickliter cratered our program by his 3rd year as head coach (we're still trying to recover from that brand destruction in Year 8 of Fran), but he seemed on the surface to be a decent human being. Can't say the same for Alford at all.

Sorry but after 8 yrs on the job, any brand issues for our lackluster bball program are 100pct on Francis, not Lickliter. '10-'12 maybe, but hes had PLENTY of time to redefine our brand and hes definitely improved it (returned it to alford era similarity) but heading into yr 9, this is all on the clipboard slammer in chief.

Yeah . . . because that is when Alford was proclaimed to be one of the best up and coming coaches in America and a "hot" coaching prospect. It is what has happened since his one-time improbable run with Southwest Missouri State that demonstrates that he is far from a "big time" producer.
But still, you called it, "Fun facts regarding Alford's NCAA history as a coach", and left that part out. Leaving out some facts doesn't give the entire picture.

Yeah . . . because that is when Alford was proclaimed to be one of the best up and coming coaches in America and a "hot" coaching prospect. It is what has happened since his one-time improbable run with Southwest Missouri State that demonstrates that he is far from a "big time" producer.
That is bullshit beyond comprehension. The man, like virtually every former Iowa coach except Tom Davis, had been more successful after his stint at Iowa. That said, even if he had that same success at Iowa as he had after he left Iowa, many Iowa fans still would have hated him because they just can not be satisfied and they have a self loathing because they are not among the elites and that somehow affects their self worth .

That is bullshit beyond comprehension. The man, like virtually every former Iowa coach except Tom Davis, had been more successful after his stint at Iowa. That said, even if he had that same success at Iowa as he had after he left Iowa, many Iowa fans still would have hated him because they just can not be satisfied and they have a self loathing because they are not among the elites and that somehow affects their self worth .

Where to begin? Outside of Lute Olson who are you referring to? Raveling did essentially nothing at USC after Iowa. Lickliter literally never coached at the NCAA level again and got ran out of mid level NAIA ball leaving it in worse shape than when he arrived there. Alford has been on the hot seat since he got to UCLA after being underwhelming and known for early exits in the tourney at New Mexico. Davis actually had a bit of resurgence and built a program to hand over to his son and Drake actually had a few wildly successful seasons for a nothing program. Guys before that aren't from the current era, and without looking, probably all dead....

Alford was a D'bag, everybody disliked him. Nobody was cheering when Lickliter got tossed from his peon job. Sure it was mentioned around here, but it's news about a former coach and worth talking about. No one rooted against Davis when he had something going at Drake. What goes around comes around. Alford was a narcissistic dick and that's why the animosity continues to follow him.

Davis actually had a bit of resurgence and built a program to hand over to his son and Drake actually had a few wildly successful seasons for a nothing program.

I'd even argue that most Iowa fans were rooting for Davis to be successful at Drake.

People that were around in the 70's, how was Miller thought of after he left for Oregon State?

I know people were upset that Lute left, but the animosity wasn't still as high a decade later like it is for Alford.

The first Pierre Pierce incident and his reaction to it were the beginning of the end for Alford. It didn't help that that happened while Ferentz was in the middle of going 11-2/8-0 with a Big Ten championship and Orange Bowl appearance. At that time Alford's career wasn't even halfway through at Iowa. That's a lot of time for a fanbase to build up more hatred as the stories about his behavior in public began leaking out, the 2nd PP incident happened, and the NW LA St. collapse happened. The icing on the cake was how he talked bad about us on his way out the door, including the "Football School" comment while ignoring the fact that his lack of success is what drove the bball following down lower than it had been in many decades.

I also think the fact that he left before we could fire him meant that a lot of the fans didn't feel like they got the satisfaction of humiliating him. He's the definition of a guy that has failed upward in life and still hasn't gotten fired from a coaching job, although that might change in the next year.

This is not accurate at all.
I'll actually concede to that. It's been a while now, I guess I remembered it differently. I know Tom Davis didn't have any lights seasons himself, but it was immediately after his son took over that they had an outstanding record and won the MVC in a pretty good era for that conference. Upon looking it up, I forgot Keno bailed after one season and how quickly they regressed. I seemed to remember they were pretty good for at least a few seasons.... Maybe just because Iowa was so bad and lost to them a bunch of times.

Well, Alford made UNM better. He made Iowa worse. All a matter of perspective I guess.

Even without Pierre Pierce, I was not an Alford fan. Guy's tenure here was mediocre.
So not a Fran fan either I take it? Similarly mediocre with Steve having a better record, much better in conf tourney

After 8 seasons....

Steve: 152-106 (.589) made field of 64 3x
Fran: 151-120 (. 557) made field of 64 2x

Last edited:
So not a Fran fan either I take it? Similarly mediocre with Steve having a better record, much better in conf tourney

After 8 seasons....

Steve: 152-106 (.589) made field of 64 3x
Fran: 151-120 (. 557) made field of 64 2x

Steve 1 ncaa win and left the program worse than he got it.
Fran 2 ncaa wins and inherited a mess.

Not saying Fran is the greatest coach ever but apples and oranges to both of their situations. Plus as has been spoken so much one is an egotistical jerk that pissed so many people off locally. All of this then you throw in the whole botched handling of Pierre Pierce case and that is why fans aren't fans of Alford and don't cheer for him since he left Iowa.

Steve 1 ncaa win and left the program worse than he got it.
Fran 2 ncaa wins and inherited a mess.

Not saying Fran is the greatest coach ever but apples and oranges to both of their situations. Plus as has been spoken so much one is an egotistical jerk that pissed so many people off locally. All of this then you throw in the whole botched handling of Pierre Pierce case and that is why fans aren't fans of Alford and don't cheer for him since he left Iowa.
Alford third highest win percentage of any coach in Big Ten tournament history. 3 championship appearances and 2 championships in 8 years.
Fran 3 Big Ten tournament wins in 8 years and never beating a team seeded higher than 9th. Lost to 10, 11, 12, 13th seeds in consecutive years.

Alford third highest win percentage of any coach in Big Ten tournament history. 3 championship appearances and 2 championships in 8 years.
Fran 3 Big Ten tournament wins in 8 years and never beating a team seeded higher than 9th. Lost to 10, 11, 12, 13th seeds in consecutive years.

Sadly, that ranks Fran 2nd in winning percentage out of four coaches at Iowa in the BTT.

But still, you called it, "Fun facts regarding Alford's NCAA history as a coach", and left that part out. Leaving out some facts doesn't give the entire picture.

That's probably why I didn't call it "Entire Analysis of Alford's NCAA history as a coach."

ADVERTISEMENT