ADVERTISEMENT

Classy move by the Cubs

That was a very classy move. And they did it quickly so that this didn't place more of a low hanging cloud over Bank's passing. I get the impression the care giver is thief.

The Chicago Tribune is also reporting that the
Cubs will pay for the funeral of Sammy Sosa.
He has become deadwood to the new image of
the young, clean, steroid free players on the
team.

Originally posted by lucas80:
That was a very classy move. And they did it quickly so that this didn't place more of a low hanging cloud over Bank's passing. I get the impression the care giver is thief.
I'm not sure it can get more low hanging than it already is. And I get the same impression.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

team.
Actually, there is a lot of well placed rumors that the Cubs will welcome Sammy back to Wrigley this year.

Originally posted by SSG T:

I'm not sure it can get more low hanging than it already is. And I get the same impression.
True. But, the Cubs did what they could. The family issue will have to be resolved in the courts it seems. But, having in unseemly funeral bill out there was terrible.
I wonder if Ernie didn't have any money. At least in later years he didn't market himself. Compared to today's ballplayers he didn't make a fortune playing baseball. He married repeatedly and poorly.

team.
Actually, there is a lot of well placed rumors that the Cubs will welcome Sammy back to Wrigley this year.
Theo has made a couple of statements that he's more than willing to welcome Sammy back. And despite what some people think of him, the fact remains that he was the face of the franchise for a decade and one of the 2-3 best players ever to suit up for them.

team.
Theo has made a couple of statements that he's more than willing to welcome Sammy back. And despite what some people think of him, the fact remains that he was the face of the franchise for a decade and one of the 2-3 best players ever to suit up for them.
One of the best 2-3 players to play for them? No, just no. He could hit the long ball and thats it. That doesn't place him above Banks, Williams, Jenkins, Santo, Maddux, Sandberg, or Dawson just off the top of my head. This is coming from someone who grew up with Sosa as my second favorite player behind Sandberg.

team.
Lute...The deadwood has been cut out of Sosa's bat and replaced with cork.

Cubs Hall of Fame:

Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg,
Ron Santo, Greg Maddux, Fergie Jenkins

Cubs Hall of Shame:

Sammy Sosa

Originally posted by TNK85:

team.
One of the best 2-3 players to play for them? No, just no. He could hit the long ball and thats it. That doesn't place him above Banks, Williams, Jenkins, Santo, Maddux, Sandberg, or Dawson just off the top of my head. This is coming from someone who grew up with Sosa as my second favorite player behind Sandberg.
Maybe late in his career. Early on, he was a perennial 30/30 threat and a pretty good fielder.

If you're talking about their time in a Cubs uniform only, Sosa was a much better player than Dawson.

Sosa only went 30/30 twice in his career. I wouldn't call that a perennial threat. Dawson was a better rounded player, and probably didn't use roids.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

team.
Top 2-3 might be pushing it, top 5 isn't. And I was including the guys who did most or all of their damage in a Cubs uniform. Guys like Dawson, Maddux, Jenkins (and many old school guys like Hornsby and Cuyler) did as much or more wearing other uniforms.

Cubs Hall of Fame:

Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg,
Ron Santo, Greg Maddux, Fergie Jenkins

Cubs Hall of Shame:

Sammy Sosa
Sure, he's in the Hall of Shame. But, time heals all wounds. If he says the right things publicly you bring him back if you are the Cubs. I was one of the people who screamed and shouted when he was mashing 50 homers. We all knew players were juicing. One of my favorite Cubs memories was a Sunday night game at Wrigley. I was on a roof top on Sheffield as the Cubs and Cardinals played. Both McGwire and Sosa homered.
Should guys like McGwire and Bonds go into the HOF? No. But, they can be rehabbed and honored by their teams. Let them come out and tip the cap to the fans.

Sosa only went 30/30 twice in his career. I wouldn't call that a perennial threat. Dawson was a better rounded player, and probably didn't use roids.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
1993: 33/36
1994: 25/22 (105 games - 155 game pace was ~37/32)
1995: 36/34
1996: 40/18
1997: 36/22
1998: 66/18

He would have three seasons had it not been for the strike in 1994. He came pretty close in 1997. I guess I'd call 6 seasons with those numbers a "perennial threat" for 30/30. Especially when you consider that only four players in history have more 30/30 seasons than Sosa.

Multiple Career 30/30 Seasons:
Barry Bonds - 5
Bobby Bonds - 5
Alfonso Soriano - 4
Howard Johnson - 3
Sammy Sosa - 2
Raul Mondesi - 2
Willie Mays - 2
Ryan Braun - 2
Bobby Abreu - 2
Ian Kinsler - 2

Originally posted by Chillyhoff:
Um, he cheated.
So did everyone else in the 1990s. And 1980s. And probably 1970s. And possibly quite a few in the 1960s. Mike Schmidt and everyone else used amphetamines. Tom House claimed there were "six or seven guys" on each team experimenting with steroids or growth hormone in the 1970s. A 1973 congressional report investigating drug use in professional sports stated that "the degree of improper drug use, primarily amphetamines and anabolic steroids, can only be described as alarming."

The guys in the 1990s are unfairly targeted a bit compared to the previous eras because they also benefited from smaller parks, juiced balls, and terrible pitching (relatively speaking).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT