ADVERTISEMENT

"Clean Coach" Poll

I think Iowa's coaching staff is as clean as any, but maybe Iowa isn't considered a "high major program"??? Don't disagree with anyone on the list.

I certainly believe that Iowa belongs in the same "High Major" sentence that Kansas State belongs in. Iowa has not had enough success in the last 15-18 years to be mentioned with the other schools on the list, but if Kansas State made the list then Fran and Company could have made the list. It does seem that a qualifier for making the list is what other coaches think about you, so it is obvious that Fran is not as highly thought of as the coaches on the list. Maybe Fran makes the honorable mention list?

I think name recognition for Iowa and McCaffery is not there to make a poll like this. But I am very glad to see four Big Ten programs make it.

My confidence level in the Big Ten:

Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern. I believe they are squeaky clean.
Nebraska, Ohio State, Indiana, Rutgers, Mich St. Either just not sure yet, or very comfortable with their recruiting methods.
Maryland. My concern is with nabbing players from a Travel Agency/Basketball Academy. Not against the rules but very shoddy. Benders.
Minnesota. Same with Maryland and add in family history. Benders at least.
Illinois. I'm convinced right now based on the hires that this program will cheat.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Yeah, because Gregg Gard and Chris Holtmann has had so much experience as head coach at their school. The only thing that these coaches got is the 5 votes that they got somehow. Just 5 votes to be in the top ten out of 100. That is 5% and suddenly you are recognized as an honest coach?

Reactions: Vbeachawk
None of these coaches on the list has won a national title in the last 10-15 years not that it's easy to do. Belien & Weber (Self's players) were close and Izzo got one in the early 2000's

Notable programs and/or coaches not on the list....
No Coach K
No Roy Williams
No John Calapari
No Rick Pitino
No Jay Wright
No Bill Self

This was based on peer survey so that says a lot to me because these coaches I'm pointing out are known by all. Easy to overlook coaches like Fran who have not had big notoriety but these guys have won big and many have done so recently.

None of these coaches on the list has won a national title in the last 10-15 years not that it's easy to do. Belien & Weber (Self's players) were close and Izzo got one in the early 2000's

No Coach K
No Roy Williams
No John Calapari
No Rick Pitino
No Jay Wright
No Bill Self

This was based on peer survey so that says a lot to me because these coaches I'm pointing out are known by all. Easy to overlook coaches like Fran who have not had big notoriety but these guys have won big and many have done so recently.[/QUOTE

It is not surprising that these coaches are not on the "clean coach" list. Coach K might have been clean a couple of decades ago. The others are the best examples of what is wrong with college basketball IMO, and the NCAA is not about to fix the situations (cf. NC).

No Coach K
No Roy Williams
No John Calapari
No Rick Pitino
No Jay Wright
No Bill Self

This was based on peer survey so that says a lot to me because these coaches I'm pointing out are known by all. Easy to overlook coaches like Fran who have not had big notoriety but these guys have won big and many have done so recently.

What's the word on Jay Wright? I didn't think he seems super dirty like the others would be.

What's the word on Jay Wright? I didn't think he seems super dirty like the others would be.

Not sure on Jay Wright either and have never heard anything bad about him but he did not make the list so is there something more known within the coaching circles that we as general fans do not know? Maybe not but just interesting since he's won a title recently.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Illinois. I'm convinced right now based on the hires that this program will cheat.

I find no recruiting violation allegations against Brad Underwood as a head coach while at SF Austin or Okie State, care to share what has you convinced he is a cheater? Has he surrounded himself with assistants that are convicted cheaters?

Underwood is, indeed, squeaky clean. However, he hired Orlando Antigua as an assistant coach, who was a high level recruiter at Kentucky and subsequently fired from his head coaching position at USF for reasons which included an academic fraud scandal. Although the NCAA cleared Orlando of any wrongdoing, see, https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...s-basketball-spt-0526-20170525-story,amp.html,

it's still a taint that many at Illinois had issues with.

From what I've seen over the last few years reading this board, Dan is a typical know nothing kind of fan. To say one is "convinced" that a program will cheat based on that kind of non-evidence is frankly stupid. Which is par for the course with Danny...

Chin Coleman, Underwood's other hire is also squeaky clean. Still ...Orlando is a hire that has made even some Illinois boosters uneasy. Even with the extensive vetting that was done before his hire, they don't think the stink will be worth it in the long run. We'll see how long he lasts. Personally, I hope a long time. He's a great recruiter and a highly respected bigs coach.

Kruger-- squeaky clean
Self -- squeaky clean
Weber-- squeaky clean
Groce -- squeaky clean
Underwood -- squeaky clean

Bottom line-- Danny is a typical half informed numbskull fan. They make sports fun for the same reason clowns can be fun (and sometimes scary).
I would agree that Kruger, Weber, and Groce have clean reps. Not sure about Underwood, but hiring Antigua does suggest that he might be willing to do what it takes to win. I would never call Self clean, although he has been smart enough to steer clear of trouble.

I find no recruiting violation allegations against Brad Underwood as a head coach while at SF Austin or Okie State, care to share what has you convinced he is a cheater? Has he surrounded himself with assistants that are convicted cheaters?

Underwood is, indeed, squeaky clean. However, he hired Orlando Antigua as an assistant coach, who was a high level recruiter at Kentucky and subsequently fired from his head coaching position at USF for reasons which included an academic fraud scandal. Although the NCAA cleared Orlando of any wrongdoing, see, https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...s-basketball-spt-0526-20170525-story,amp.html,

it's still a taint that many at Illinois had issues with.

From what I've seen over the last few years reading this board, Dan is a typical know nothing kind of fan. To say one is "convinced" that a program will cheat based on that kind of non-evidence is frankly stupid. Which is par for the course with Danny...

Chin Coleman, Underwood's other hire is also squeaky clean. Still ...Orlando is a hire that has made even some Illinois boosters uneasy. Even with the extensive vetting that was done before his hire, they don't think the stink will be worth it in the long run. We'll see how long he lasts. Personally, I hope a long time. He's a great recruiter and a highly respected bigs coach.

Kruger-- squeaky clean
Self -- squeaky clean
Weber-- squeaky clean
Groce -- squeaky clean
Underwood -- squeaky clean

Bottom line-- Danny is a typical half informed numbskull fan. They make sports fun for the same reason clowns can be fun (and sometimes scary).

Wait, so you admit that there is much concern about the hire, but bash Dan because he espouses the view that you acknowledge Illinois fans are concerned about?

That sounds more like a personal problem than a counter point.

I don't really expect appreciation of any kind of nuance here but if you think unease with the optics of the hire is the same thing as being "convinced" that a coach will cheat, I cannot help you. No one can.

Last edited:
I don't really expect appreciation of any kind of nuance here but if you think unease with the hire is the same thing as being "convinced" that a coach will cheat, I cannot help you. No one can.

Nuance....very funny, since I didn't say anything that you state in your response.

You should give some thought to going to the Illinois board and bashing Iowa posters there. I promise I won't read or post there.

Wait, so you admit that there is much concern about the hire, but bash Dan because he espouses the view that you acknowledge Illinois fans are concerned about?

That sounds more like a personal problem than a counter point.
I never bashed DanL53, I merely asked him what has him "Convinced." I could not name one of Brad Underwood's assistant coaches he has on staff; therefore, the question "has he surrounded himself with cheaters". So why are you quoting me concerning bashing him?

KOK, perry is not up to the task.
I would agree that Kruger, Weber, and Groce have clean reps. Not sure about Underwood, but hiring Antigua does suggest that he might be willing to do what it takes to win. I would never call Self clean, although he has been smart enough to steer clear of trouble.

You should provide your insider knowledge concerning Self to the NCAA. Likewise, Danny the precog should offer the NCAA his special powers of clairvoyance with respect to Underwood. Forewarned is forearmed after all.

Yeah, because Gregg Gard and Chris Holtmann has had so much experience as head coach at their school. The only thing that these coaches got is the 5 votes that they got somehow. Just 5 votes to be in the top ten out of 100. That is 5% and suddenly you are recognized as an honest coach?
Greg's status as HC is admittedly short but considering his years as an assistant at Wisconsin, he has become well know in basketball circles over the past 17 years. The fact that he was honored as the Jim Phelan Coach of the year in 2016 also raised his recognition.

I never bashed DanL53, I merely asked him what has him "Convinced." I could not name one of Brad Underwood's assistant coaches he has on staff; therefore, the question "has he surrounded himself with cheaters". So why are you quoting me concerning bashing him?

He was responding to sirillini. Hence the quoted post.

He was responding to sirillini. Hence the quoted post.

KOK definitely not aimed at you.

Reactions: K OKeefe
It truly is amazing how & why an Illinois is allowed on HR to call Iowa fans Danny is a typical half informed numbskull fan. They make sports fun for the same reason clowns can be fun (and sometimes scary).

I've been called many things in my life (some even correct)...but I never paid a $100. for it....thus 'one' of the reason I cancelled my annual renewal come October.

I'm not the only one.

It truly is amazing how & why an Illinois is allowed on HR to call Iowa fans Danny is a typical half informed numbskull fan. They make sports fun for the same reason clowns can be fun (and sometimes scary).

I've been called many things in my life (some even correct)...but I never paid a $100. for it....thus 'one' of the reason I cancelled my annual renewal come October.

I'm not the only one.

Hahaha. BAN HIM!!!!!!!

Don't take your ball and go home. Remember that time in Madison in 1979 when it was 25 below and Lute beat Wisconsin?

Good times...

Reactions: AZmess
For more specifics. The assistant hired at Illinois that worked for Calipari did so at both Kentucky and Memphis. As a lead recruiter.

Another assistant made the jump from coaching Mac Irvin Fire to Illinois.

I'll repeat, I am convinced Illinois will cheat. You don't hire those two if you don't intend to cheat. As to squeaky clean coaches? I'll refer back to the original article that came with the survey. In college basketball very few are squeaky clean, though many haven't been officially caught.

SirIllini can call me anything he likes. After all, this is a Hawkeye Site by name only. Try that stuff on PEEGS. o_O

SirIllini will hide out during the season. We'll catch a break from him then.

You better not be loling at DanL....he will go right to the moderators and stop that stuff immediately!!

Fact check yourself this time dickhead. I'm not going to any moderators. I'm just telling it like it is and internet assholes like yourself make this board either a ****ing waste of time, or a place to just lose it and go full out retard.

I'm joining your side and going full out retard.

You were a piss poor excuse for a wannabe basketball player...and THAT was obvious watching your crap play in the PTL. And for someone who should know better, you don't know jack shit about the game.

Fact check yourself this time dickhead. I'm not going to any moderators. I'm just telling it like it is and internet assholes like yourself make this board either a ****ing waste of time, or a place to just lose it and go full out retard.

You were a piss poor excuse for a wannabe basketball player...and THAT was obvious watching your crap play in the PTL. And for someone who should know better, you don't know jack shit about the game.

I wonder if this is how it all started for Kilroy....old....senile...internet temper tantrums......

Reactions: unIowa and Cydkar

I wonder if this is how it all started for Kilroy....old....senile...internet temper tantrums......

Legend slamming someone in this situation.....wow, no conscience whatsoever.

My point is made. I'm still here. There is nothing that one can do to get booted off this thing. At least not in a reasonable amount of time.

Hence why we get the posts that we get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT