ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Fan Visiting

Sep 19, 2018
Hello Hawkeye Fans,

I will be in town by myself for work this weekend and would like to see what the Iowa gameday experience is all about. Where should I go before the game to eat/see? Is the free shuttle worth it? Am I better off taking my chances and waiting until gameday to buy a ticket vs spending $150 minimum online?

I'll bring beer for your help...and for beating South Carolina in the 2008 Outback Bowl.

Thank you!

Night games are special at Kinnick. Should be a good one. Tickets are gonna stay pretty high. Usually you can find a ticket cheap before game time but don't expect it for this one. I'd say let people know you're a visitor and looking to see what it's about. Wouldn't be shocked to see someone get you in reasonably

Reactions: amahawk
I think it depends on how good of a seat do you want versus being willing to pay for it. If it were me, I'd probably just wander around and you'll find something reasonable.
Others will have better recommendations but not sure what free shuttle you're talking about. There is the Hawkeye Express that for a reasonable price will get you from near Coral Ridge Mall (if you don't now, you will when you get here) right next to the stadium. It's an old train, makes parking/leaving easier, and handy.
Overall, you'll have a good time! Don't be afraid to jump right in and I guarantee you'll be welcomed whole-heartedly!

a single ticket is almost always easy to score. a lot of times scalpers will only offer people $20 or so for a single because they're so hard to get rid of. I know from experience trying to sell a single to an ALCS game in Yankee Stadium. Couldn't even get face value for it. Must have offered it at face to 100 people in a bar and there's just not many people looking for a single.

Pepper is right, since you're looking for a single...you're bound to find someone stuck with one. The old "looking for 1" cardboard sign should do the trick.

Buy yourself a Hawkeye shirt, walk into the first tailgate you see and tell em you're a Clemson fan here for your first game. You'll get treated very well. (throw in something about how you hate Moo U and you're in)

GO Hawks!

Welcome and i wouldn't worry too much about where the seat is if you get a ticket - no bad seats in Kinnick. Like they said above - Pretty sure if you tell the tailgaters why you are there and from where you will be partying in no time.

Reactions: 1flyer
Don't wait too long. If you want the experience, get in 30 mins before kickoff or so. If you wait too long, you get stuck in really long lines of people just trying to get into the stadium and will miss kickoff. Seeing the team come out to back in black and seeing "the swarm" is all part of the experience, and shouldn't be missed.

Others know more about the tailgating scene than I do, so they'll speak up, but it won't be hard to find someone willing to let you join in.

Hit up the hawks to go tailgate on golf view before the game. Donate any amount that goes to the children's hospital and get a shot with plenty of other tailgaters. Very friendly crew. Try to get into kinnick to see back in black, it truly is special.

For getting a ticket just walk around the stadium with 1 finger in the air to indicate you only need 1. Those with tickets will hold them up as well so you can approach them about buying a single.

Welcome and i wouldn't worry too much about where the seat is if you get a ticket - no bad seats in Kinnick. Like they said above - Pretty sure if you tell the tailgaters why you are there and from where you will be partying in no time.

There were no bad seats. Can’t say I’d be excited sitting in front of the ISU/UNI band now. Depends if opposing team brings one.

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
Don't wait too long. If you want the experience, get in 30 mins before kickoff or so. If you wait too long, you get stuck in really long lines of people just trying to get into the stadium and will miss kickoff. Seeing the team come out to back in black and seeing "the swarm" is all part of the experience, and shouldn't be missed.

Others know more about the tailgating scene than I do, so they'll speak up, but it won't be hard to find someone willing to let you join in.

Ugh. The worst part about night games. Everyone tailgating as long as possible combined with lost newcomers and the tunnels get log-jammed.

It really is fascinating how the exact same amount of people inside the stadium react so differently at night vs day.

I think it depends on how good of a seat do you want versus being willing to pay for it. If it were me, I'd probably just wander around and you'll find something reasonable.
Others will have better recommendations but not sure what free shuttle you're talking about. There is the Hawkeye Express that for a reasonable price will get you from near Coral Ridge Mall (if you don't now, you will when you get here) right next to the stadium. It's an old train, makes parking/leaving easier, and handy.
Overall, you'll have a good time! Don't be afraid to jump right in and I guarantee you'll be welcomed whole-heartedly!

There is a free shuttle near the Hall of Fame and the Hawkeye Express is a cash grab.

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

I will be in town by myself for work this weekend and would like to see what the Iowa gameday experience is all about. Where should I go before the game to eat/see? Is the free shuttle worth it? Am I better off taking my chances and waiting until gameday to buy a ticket vs spending $150 minimum online?

I'll bring beer for your help...and for beating South Carolina in the 2008 Outback Bowl.

Thank you!

A Clemson fan? Oh boy. Let me explain something to you.

When Iowa has the ball, and they run for 4 or more yards, the fans are likely to go nuts. This does not mean the fans don't understand football. And, when you see a player running down the field on offense - no, that it not a lineman. That is a WR.

This is all tongue-in-cheek, of course. But, in the B1G, they play smash-mouth football. Neither of these teams can keep up with Clemson on the field, but if they catch you - they will punish you!

However, if you can come away from this game and honestly say it isn't an awesome game day experience, then you have forgotten what football is like in the trenches.

If I were going to a Clemson game, I would do one thing - get to the game early to soak in the atmosphere. I recommend the same to you at Kinnick!

Have fun!

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!
Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!

Arrive around 8-9am. Park downtown or get downtown and spend some time having breakfast and checking out the downtown scene, and maybe catch some early games. You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning! You can catch the shuttle to the stadium area (its about a 15-20 minute walk if you want to see some campus up close) around noon and check out the stadium area tailgates. There is quality tailgating in the neighborhoods of Koser St as well, and lots of food vendors on Melrose . I agree with others not to wait too long to enter the stadium. It will be a mob scene. Post game I would head back downtown to catch some nightlife if you are still able. Let us know how it went!

Arrive around 8-9am. Park downtown or get downtown and spend some time having breakfast and checking out the downtown scene, and maybe catch some early games. You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning! You can catch the shuttle to the stadium area (its about a 15-20 minute walk if you want to see some campus up close) around noon and check out the stadium area tailgates. There is quality tailgating in the neighborhoods of Koser St as well, and lots of food vendors on Melrose . I agree with others not to wait too long to enter the stadium. It will be a mob scene. Post game I would head back downtown to catch some nightlife if you are still able. Let us know how it went!

If only Olive Court was around and like it was back about 10 years ago or so.

Don't wait too long. If you want the experience, get in 30 mins before kickoff or so.

Right here. You'll wanna see the "Back in Black" entrance. We don't have the rock and the hill (let's face it Clemson's entrance is TOP 5 in anybody's book)...but it's pretty cool.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!

Our group has one tic available if you are still interested. 50 yard line on the east side. We could meet you at a designated spot on Melrose and you could join our tailgate. Let me know if still interested

What's with Clemson fans visiting Iowa? Wasn't there a different Clemson fan that was asking information because they were attending the Iowa State game.

Hope you have fun and tell us what you think of the game day experience.

I liked the Tigers before it was cool. Not going to lie, the uniforms and NCAA drew me to Clemson when I was in junior high. Hope you have fun at our game. Should be a good and rowdy crowd. Just try not to get too bored when the final will be 17-14 or something of that sort.

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!

Just walk around the stadium. If you wear Clemson gear you’ll be welcome anywhere. Tickets are always available and will be reasonably priced.

Our group tailgates in SW lot of stadium. I visit SC about 2 times a year (Charleston area). Love the southern cooking and the yuengling!

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
I’m sure the free shuttle he is referring to is the one from Hancher.

Gamecock alum here but almost 20 years working at UI. Welcome to town. I only root against Clemson a few times a year - football, basketball, baseball seasons. I agree with those who say get into the stadium early. The lead-in will be great. Also, black and gold striped sections this game will look great. While I still think southern football is unmatched, Iowa is much like Clemson and USC in that there are no major league teams in-state (Charlotte doesn't count.)

You will be warmly welcomed. Have a great time and let us know what you think.

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!

Make sure to have a drink at the Deadwood.

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!
Please report back after the game and tell us what you thought. Hope you have a great time.

Not bad a seat overall, but I’d stay away from south end zone due to the north end zone construction and no big scoreboard or video board on that side. It would help if they used the bigger ribbon banner to display game info vs advertising. Just a perspective from last weekend.

Our group has one tic available if you are still interested. 50 yard line on the east side. We could meet you at a designated spot on Melrose and you could join our tailgate. Let me know if still interested
Clemson- Grab this offer!! Get in the stadium 30 min before kick to soak up the pregame let us know what you think. IA fans are super friendly. Other good call is Breakfast downtown at Hamburg and check out downtown scene then bus over

It’s going to be electric over by Kinnick and inside weather looks perfect enjoy

There were no bad seats. Can’t say I’d be excited sitting in front of the ISU/UNI band now. Depends if opposing team brings one.
Now that you mention that, I am wondering what they are going to do going forward with regards to opposing teams' bands.

That's a good point that itd be annoying if you have to sit right in front of them the whole game. I like that they're stuck in the nosebleeds but at the same time the gripe about those in front is real.

Perhaps once the north endzone is finished, they will restructure season ticket seating, etc, and move the bands to field level.

Prior to the 2005 renovations, didn't opposing teams' bands sit on the SE side of the East bleachers near the opponent entrance?

I think they could either go there or instead of at the top of that NE side, just move them down to field level.

I sat about 7 rows in front of ISU band and it wasn’t the worst thing in the world but it did suck. They seem to play any time there is a stoppage of play.

Reactions: The Tigerhawk
First question is, where are you staying? That's going to determine how you get to the stadium. Second is, if you're driving hit me up on a private message and I'll get you a primo parking spot and tell you how to do it. Other than that, be aware that tailgating is EVERYWHERE, not just the parking lot, but EVERYWHERE. If you're not familiar with the town, it's going to be a bit confusing because Kinnick is not a hulking structure like a lot of other stadiums, however, it does seat almost 70K and is really f'ing loud. Fans sit right on the field and the opposing teams hate it with a passion. It's awesome. Like everyone else said, have fun and let us know what you think. If you need a parking spot, let me know.

Hello Hawkeye Fans,

Thank you!
Hope you have a blast, wish I could be there! You will find a very friendly crowd and will find out first hand what "Iowa Nice" is all about.

Clemson- Grab this offer!! Get in the stadium 30 min before kick to soak up the pregame let us know what you think. IA fans are super friendly. Other good call is Breakfast downtown at Hamburg and check out downtown scene then bus over

It’s going to be electric over by Kinnick and inside weather looks perfect enjoy

Clemsonvisitor ............ let me know ASAP if you want this one tic on the 50 yard line. Great seat / great venue / great fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT