ADVERTISEMENT

Climate change discussion

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Despite whatever you currently believe about climate change, this is a really interesting video about the historical temperatures taken from the Greenland ice sheet.

There has been huge variations in temperature in the past 250k years. Some of them led to mass extinctions, others, humans survived. He even mentions Atlantis and how this could be a lost civilization that is now buried 400 feet under water which was caused by massive melting and rising seas.

In one example, the research shows our global temps may have increased as much as 18 degrees in 1 year.

I'm curious how you think this plays in to the current explanations of global warming. It seems like current climate change scientists generally site data within the last 10,000 years, but this time period is such a short snippet of time during a stable period of time.

Now imagine how much faster temperatures increase w/o all that ice there.

1 gram of ice requires 80 calories of energy to convert to water (heat of fusion).

1 gram of water requires 1 calorie to increase +1°C

Ergo: lose that 1 gram of ice, and the same heat input (warming) will increase water temperatures for the same mass of ice that melted into water 80x faster.

1 gram of ice requires 80 calories of energy to convert to water (heat of fusion).

Ergo: lose that 1 gram of ice, and the same heat input (warming) will increase water temperatures for the same mass of ice that melted into water 80x faster.
The temp “control”, (heat sinks), offered by vast ice sheets and oceans is so very underrated. Change the ocean temps just a bit and our entire way of life will alter dramatically.
Oh, it is already well underway. Wait until the Gulf Stream shuts down…

Oh, boy. Another climate alarmist thread.
I am not an alarmist. I find it interesting to look at the scientific data that we currently have. It is very clear to me that we dont know much about climate change.

I enjoy listening to this guy and he has a lot of really good theories about earth and our climate. My only hope is for people to watch this video and do their own thinking about climate change.

I am not an alarmist. I find it interesting to look at the scientific data that we currently have. It is very clear to me that we dont know much about climate change.

I enjoy listening to this guy and he has a lot of really good theories about earth and our climate. My only hope is for people to watch this video and do their own thinking about climate change.

I know you didn't intend for this to be an alarmist thread, but that's what it'll turn into.

Reactions: Hawk_82

So what do you think this means?

Ice has a different impact on the world than water does. So while it takes more energy to heat ice. Once that water melts, it has the ability to affect so many other areas like ocean currents, tides, weather, natural disasters. This can have somewhat of a snowball effect.
It's rarely mentioned.

And it's a very large "buffer" against massive temperature increases.

Please explain this more.

Ice has a different impact on the world than water does. So while it takes more energy to heat ice. Once that water melts, it has the ability to affect so many other areas like ocean currents, tides, weather, natural disasters. This can have somewhat of a snowball effect.

Of course it does.

Land ice (e.g. Greenland and Antarctica) has the potential to raise sea levels by >10 meters (30 feet).

It's a buffer, because you have to melt the ice before temperatures can increase.

Once you've melted 1000 tons of ice, the SAME AMOUNT OF HEAT INPUT will heat that same 1000 tons of ice +80°C.

That's not "alarmism"; that's fundamentals of Physical Chemistry/Physics.

(You could alternatively state the same amount of heat will warm 80x more melted ice to +1°C, so melting 1000 tons of ice = heating 80,000 tons of water +1°C)

Reactions: billanole

Ice, and water to a lesser extent, changes temps much slower (relatively speaking) than land masses.
Think about how dramatically temps change on large land masses ( American and Canadian Midwests, Siberia, Australia…. ) as fronts or air masses move thru. This same air movement has a much more “temporary “ effect over water masses, since H20 changes temp slower.
Thus, bodies of water and ice are referred to as “heat sinks” meaning that they mitigate or slow rapid temp changes. They help to maintain more consistency in our weather patterns.
As more ice disappears, not only will oceans rise, but wilder and more extreme storms will continue to increase. The loss of ice will cause even the oceans to heat and cool quicker, meaning more extremes in weather.
As some, like Trad, have mentioned, there will be winners and losers as weather patterns change. That sounds like a recipe for more migration of populations, water wars, etc…

Reactions: the24fan
Despite whatever you currently believe about climate change, this is a really interesting video about the historical temperatures taken from the Greenland ice sheet.

There has been huge variations in temperature in the past 250k years. Some of them led to mass extinctions, others, humans survived. He even mentions Atlantis and how this could be a lost civilization that is now buried 400 feet under water which was caused by massive melting and rising seas.

In one example, the research shows our global temps may have increased as much as 18 degrees in 1 year.

I'm curious how you think this plays in to the current explanations of global warming. It seems like current climate change scientists generally site data within the last 10,000 years, but this time period is such a short snippet of time during a stable period of time.
I think it shows just how devastating climate change can be to our habitat and the people who live here, and make it all that much more imperative that we do everything in our power to stop the ongoing fossil-fuel caused climate changes from getting worse.

Out of those 250 thousand years, I wonder how many of them saw man burning fossil fuels.

The issue is do we take care of our mess or not, the debate over a cyclical climate is nonsense.

So, when we had a global industrial shutdown during the lockdown and fossil fuel was down 16% worldwide, why did we see still see a rise in CO2 (Northern Hemisphere), in fact to a 45 year high? Ah, the white crow moment.
Because they keep accumulating, spud.

The slowdown was a blip on the radar. And if you're trying to claim they're from some "natural" process, you are wrong; isotope analysis clearly demonstrates they are from fossil fuel mining/burning processes.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Because they keep accumulating, spud.

The slowdown was a blip on the radar. And if you're trying to claim they're from some "natural" process, you are wrong; isotope analysis clearly demonstrates they are from fossil fuel mining/burning processes.
OH?

PPM-Annual-Variance-versus-Sun-Position-with-Carbon-PPM-Differential-with-VJ.png

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
co2_data_mlo.png

God you're an uninformed idiot

The up/down spikes are the seasonal cycles on your graphic.

Only, they are superimposed on top of the gradual accumulation from human emissions.
JFC you're so god damn stupid, seasonal has nothing to do with staying in your home every day Sunday idiot. And if it's seasonal, WHAT does that mean about CO2?

ADVERTISEMENT