ADVERTISEMENT

Climate change has stolen more than a billion tons of water from the West’s most vital river

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Declining snowpack is causing water supplies for the Colorado River to evaporate, new study finds

The Colorado River’s average annual flow has declined by nearly 20 percent compared to the last century, and now a new study has identified one of the main culprits: Climate change is causing mountain snowpack to disappear, leading to increased evaporation.

Four recent studies have found that up to half of the drop in the Colorado’s average annual flow since 2000 has been driven by warmer temperatures. Now, two U.S. Geological Survey researchers have concluded that much of this climate-induced decline — amounting to 1.5 billion tons of missing water, equal to the annual water consumption of 10 million Americans — comes from the fact that the region’s snowpack is shrinking and melting earlier. Having less snow to reflect heat from the sun, known as the albedo effect, creates a negative feedback loop, they say.

“The Colorado River Basin loses progressively more water to evaporation, as its sunlight-reflecting snow mantle disappears,” write the authors, USGS senior resource scientist Chris Milly and physical scientist Krista A. Dunne.

The new findings are significant because about 40 million Americans living across the West depend on water from the Colorado River, which supports $1 trillion in economic activity each year. The water is shipped as far away as California’s Imperial Valley and central Arizona, where farmers use it to irrigate crops, as well as across the Rockies to supply drinking water for Colorado’s biggest cities.

Milly and Dunne, who analyzed 960 different areas in the Upper Colorado River Basin to determine how disappearing snowpack influenced the river’s average annual flow, determined that the flow has dipped 9.3 percent for each temperature rise of 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit). The average annual temperature for the area they surveyed has risen 1.4 degrees C (2.5 degrees F) in the past century, Milly said in a phone interview.

AD
The region is poised to warm even more in the years ahead, Milly said, and it isn’t “likely” that precipitation can compensate for these hotter and drier conditions. Comparing the Colorado River’s historic flow between 1913 and 2017 to future conditions, he added: “That flow, we estimate, due to the warming alone would be reduced anywhere from 14 to 31 percent by 2050.”

Extreme climate change has arrived in America

Colorado State University senior scientist Brad Udall, who has written two separate papers attributing half of the Colorado River’s lower flows to warming temperatures, said in a phone interview that researchers now “have multiple lines of evidence pointing to a very similar number.”

“And this number is worrying,” Udall said of the new study. “I would say eye-popping.”

Under a 1922 compact, Upper Basin states — Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and New Mexico — must deliver an average of 8.25 million acre-feet of water in 10 consecutive years to the Lower Basin states — California, Arizona and Nevada — and Mexico. (An acre-foot is what it takes to cover an acre of land in a foot of water, or roughly 325,000 gallons.)

AD
But now that the Colorado River’s average annual flow is nearly 20 percent below its historic average, this has put pressure on the system. Its two biggest reservoirs, Lake Powell and Lake Mead, are just under half full.

The current operating rules for the river expire at the end of 2026, and negotiations over how to share the water going forward start this year.

Udall said that in light of current projections, policymakers need to consider crafting an agreement where all the major players in the West will use less water than they do now.

“These projections are dire, but we’re looking at a glass that’s 70 percent full, not half full,” he said. “It could be grimmer.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...an-billion-tons-water-wests-most-vital-river/

Trump was here in CA yesterday and told everyone there was a "tremendous" amount of water available and we shouldn't worry. So it's all cool.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Dumb shit California Democrats want to spend billions on a team instead of trapping rain water and snow run off

Reactions: ctghawk
How much water storage has California added versus the increase in population? (I already know the answer)
California's urban water use is around 10% of total water and has dropped over the past 2 decades. Has little to do with population increase - but you already knew that answer....

How much water storage has California added versus the increase in population? (I already know the answer)

Have to be careful...when they add water storage, they flood Yosemite quality valleys like Hetch Hetchy. California does need to (and maybe has) create large basins to temporarily capture excess snow runoff and allow it to replenish the ground water levels as much as possible.

Almond milk, Bro. Almond milk.

It's hard to believe they can get milk out of those things. Almonds are the driest-tasting of all the nuts.

Pecan or walnut milk would be very believable (they're very oily). Almonds taste like sawdust.

It's hard to believe they can get milk out of those things. Almonds are the driest-tasting of all the nuts.

Pecan or walnut milk would be very believable (they're very oily). Almonds taste like sawdust.
It takes an insane amount of water to produce a single almond, much less a gallon of almond milk.
It's amazing how cool these all American farmers are with being so heavily subsidized by the federal government.

Of course there is a water shortage. That’s what happens when you have to flush the toilet 10, 15 times.

Total allocations of river resources for the Upper and Lower basins and Mexico plus water lost to evaporation adds up to more than 21 billion cubic meters per year. Currently, the Upper Basin does not use the full portion of its allocation, and large reservoirs along the river can help meet the demand of the Lower Basin. Populations in the region are expected to increase; in some states, the population could double by 2030. A study released at the end of 2012 by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation predicted a possible shortage of 3 billion cubic meters by 2035.

The Colorado River provides water for irrigation of roughly 15 percent of the crops in the United States, including vegetables, fruits, cotton, alfalfa and hay. It also provides municipal water supplies for large cities, such as Phoenix, Tucson, Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas, accounting for more than half of the water supply in many of these areas. Minute 319, signed in November 2012, gives Mexico a small amount of additional water in an attempt to restore the delta region. However, the macroeconomic impact on Mexico is minimal, since agriculture accounts for the majority of the river's use in Mexico but only about 3 percent of the gross domestic product of the Baja Norte province.

This has been known for years, but the Global Warming propagandists will attribute it to less snow fall

Maybe with a 1.5 trillion dollar deficit and a dwindling water supply Gavin Newsom and Kalifornia Democrats should stop being a sanctuary state

Two words: Desalination Plants.

California sits next to the ocean. There's no shortage of water. If the freaking Saudis can do it, why can't we?

Has anyone tried just sitting down with climate change and telling him/her/zhey that stealing is wrong and that sort of behavior needs to stop? That worked for me when I got caught stealing money from my brother's dresser drawer as a lad.

That, and an ass kicking. Maybe climate change needs a spanking too?

That's because the almonds you buy already have the milk extracted.

Climate Change is just trying to feed its family. It’s ok if you break the law to help your family. Especially in California.

Reactions: ctghawk
One time Climate Change hid 3 people in its trunk and drove them into the drive in movie.

I bet Climate Change slipped it's pinky under the scale in the commons when buying a salad.

Oddly enough I’m in Arizona and one of the papers had a big article about the sustainability of growth in the Phoenix area post 2030 when max usage if available water is expected to be hit.
Now, maybe new conservation efforts will achieve results, but there is only so much left to tap, and aquifers are so slow to recharge here they will get drained fast. The mayor of fast growing Buckeye, AZ, nailed it when he was asked how he thought he’d supply water to a projected population of 300,000. “I have no idea”.

I can remember when Obama’s epa dumped toxic waste from a mine into the Colorado River turning it orange. Perhaps that’s the problem

Oddly enough I’m in Arizona and one of the papers had a big article about the sustainability of growth in the Phoenix area post 2030 when max usage if available water is expected to be hit.
Now, maybe new conservation efforts will achieve results, but there is only so much left to tap, and aquifers are so slow to recharge here they will get drained fast. The mayor of fast growing Buckeye, AZ, nailed it when he was asked how he thought he’d supply water to a projected population of 300,000. “I have no idea”.
While you are in AZ, read up on grandfathered water rights to the Colorado. Many would be surprised that the ones who have access to the cheapest and unlimited supply of the Colorado’s water use it to grow hay to ship to Saudi Arabia. What a funny world we live in!

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-saudi-arabia-alfalfa-20160329-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT