ADVERTISEMENT

Closing the gap vs. Iowa State

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
Make no mistake -- we've still got work to do to catch teams like Iowa State. They've had more regular season success, and more tournament achievements.

We're hunting. They're hunted.

Just because we landed a pair of 6'11" freshmen does not entitle the Hawks to any wins, and especially at Hilton. We've walked into that arena far too many times with a 'superior' roster only to walk out with a loss.

We're not there. We haven't arrived. This team will not be at its peak until 2 years from now. So let's not get too busy patting each other on the back, checking off wins on the B1G schedule.

We need to use the Iowa State game as a barometer of where we're at. At that point we'll have a good idea whether or not this dog can hunt.

Reactions: Y2KG21
Make no mistake -- we've still got work to do to catch teams like Iowa State. They've had more regular season success, and more tournament achievements.

We're hunting. They're hunted.

Just because we landed a pair of 6'11" freshmen does not entitle the Hawks to any wins, and especially at Hilton. We've walked into that arena far too many times with a 'superior' roster only to walk out with a loss.

We're not there. We haven't arrived. This team will not be at its peak until 2 years from now. So let's not get too busy patting each other on the back, checking off wins on the B1G schedule.

We need to use the Iowa State game as a barometer of where we're at. At that point we'll have a good idea whether or not this dog can hunt.

superior roster? I wouldnt quite agree with that.
ISU didnt do them any favors last year doing a little trash mouth before the game and showed even less class afterwards.

This is a transition year for their coach. Needs to win with his players now.

I dont agree with a 2 year peak..assuming you mean by 2 years Oct 2019.
The question will be how quick this team becomes a cohesive unit. I dont think it will take 2 years.

We have gone into Hilton the last couple of times..beat the crap out of them in the first 20 minutes but couldnt maintain...especially when ISU started playing helter skelter ball.

ISU is going to miss Morris alot.

If "Helter Skelter' ball equates to success, then I hope they keep playing that way.

"Helter Skelter" ball has won 3 of last 4 Big 12 Tourney championships.

I think most Iowa fans would gladly trade the success ISU has had. 6 straight NCAAs. A couple Sweet Sixteens in there.

Too bad for Iowa that basketball is a 40 minute game.

I think ISU will be fine this year. Nice to be lightly regarded. High expectations are sometimes hard to live up to.

Reactions: Y2KG21
If "Helter Skelter' ball equates to success, then I hope they keep playing that way.

"Helter Skelter" ball has won 3 of last 4 Big 12 Tourney championships.

I think most Iowa fans would gladly trade the success ISU has had. 6 straight NCAAs. A couple Sweet Sixteens in there.

Too bad for Iowa that basketball is a 40 minute game.

I think ISU will be fine this year. Nice to be lightly regarded. High expectations are sometimes hard to live up to.

Did I say Helter Skelter was a bad thing?.....wake up.
By Helter Skelter it was toss the game plan out and start jacking it up...start over playing (especially on the guy who was on fire in the 1st half)..and it worked.

I know ISU fans such as yourself like to repeat your 6 year run....over & over & over...YES...we would have loved to have your success...sort of a stupid comment don't you think?

But thats not the program that Fran inherited. What I wouldnt trade with you is the roster we have today & how Fran got us here (not saying you wont have a successful year nor that you will beat us in Hilton).

But rest assured YOU as an ISU fan have not seen the best of the McCaffery era...NOT yet. I know ISU fans like you believe you will be ok..wouldnt expect anything less...BUT you would have to agree..your coach will now need to win with his players....

Lets see what happens...

Last edited:
Did I say Helter Skelter was a bad thing?.....wake up.
By Helter Skelter it was toss the game plan out and start jacking it up...start over playing (especially the guy who was on fire in the 1st half)..and it worked.

I know ISU fans such as yourself like to repeat your 6 year run....over & over & over...YES...we would have loved to have your success...sort of a stupid comment don't you think?

But thats not the program that Fran inherited. What I wouldnt trade with you is the roster we have today & how Fran got us here (not saying you wont have a successful year nor that you will beat us in Hilton).

But rest assured YOU as an ISU fan have not seen the best of the McCaffery era...NOT yet. I'm ISU fans like you believe you will be ok..wouldnt expect anything less...BUT you would have to agree..your coach will now need to win with his players....

Lets see what happens...
I would not trade rosters OR recruiting classes at this point, and I sure as hell wouldn't trade coaches. But I agree with you that we'll have to wait and see what happens on the court. And I have already said I expect Iowa to have the upper hand in Hilton this year.

I would not trade rosters OR recruiting classes at this point, and I sure as hell wouldn't trade coaches. But I agree with you that we'll have to wait and see what happens on the court. And I have already said I expect Iowa to have the upper hand in Hilton this year.

thats' fair after all u are an ISU fan. as far as coaches...ya I dont see Fran allowing his players to smart mouth before & after a rivalry game...made me wonder who really was the coach...Prohm or Morris.

Something is apparently bothering you to think we have an upper hand...in Hilton? Upper Hand? really?

We recruit high schools more then transfers''..both work...I prefer we get the best that the state of Iowa has to offer as it puts us in better position when it comes to 4 stars such as Wieskamp...or a DJ Carton (maybe he will but I dont recall seeing he has scheduled a visit to ISU). I know there was a little contact by ISU but not much after...I guess I dont understand why ISU wouldnt be interested in a 4 star recruit from Iowa...then again considering transfer Jacobsen is your only Iowa kid...I guess we have our answer.

OH I'm sure I'll get the replies ...it doesnt matter where you get the talent..and it doesnt as long as you get the talent...but wouldnt it be easier to recruit in your own back yard? Or at least attempt to? BUT hey dont tell that to Prohm...please stick with the out of state & transfer recruiting program...its worked for you the last 6 years.

I would hope the Foster kid considers such.

thats' fair after all u are an ISU fan. as far as coaches...ya I dont see Fran allowing his players to smart mouth before & after a rivalry game...made me wonder who really was the coach...Prohm or Morris.

Something is apparently bothering you to think we have an upper hand...in Hilton? Upper Hand? really?

We recruit high schools more then transfers''..both work...I prefer we get the best that the state of Iowa has to offer as it puts us in better position when it comes to 4 stars such as Wieskamp...or a DJ Carton (maybe he will but I dont recall seeing he has scheduled a visit to ISU). I know there was a little contact by ISU but not much after...I guess I dont understand why ISU wouldnt be interested in a 4 star recruit from Iowa...then again considering transfer Jacobsen is your only Iowa kid...I guess we have our answer.

OH I'm sure I'll get the replies ...it doesnt matter where you get the talent..and it doesnt as long as you get the talent...but wouldnt it be easier to recruit in your own back yard? Or at least attempt to? BUT hey dont tell that to Prohm...please stick with the out of state & transfer recruiting program...its worked for you the last 6 years.

I would hope the Foster kid considers such.
Edited to remove uncalled for nasty remark.

Last edited:
Reactions: SansSouci
Edited to remove uncalled for nasty remark.

Lone, what do you not like about Iowa's roster and/or make you feel that ISU's roster is superior? Honest question, not a flame. I won't get into Fran vs Prohm. I respect your opinion but I think Fran is starting to get it done, especially on the recruiting side.

Iowa's roster and predicted roster (uncomitted) for the next 4-6 years is looking to be very special (the best since Raveling imo), and I wouldn't trade that outlook for ISU's in a heartbeat (even though ISU should have some good classes as well).

Both coaches are good and I think could both do well with either team's roster.

I could see both programs going deep into the NCAA's multiple times in that time period. How fun would a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 matchup be? :)

It has been posted over and over about Fran's dumpster fire he inherited. Fred had at least one good recruit coming in the way of Ejim, can't remember who else if any. Fred had no experience as a coach though and such a short roster he recruited two guys off the football team his first year in order to have enough players to scrimmage in practice yet still didn't have a losing record.

I don't have a clue who will win the matchup at Hilton but if Iowa doesn't win they certainly should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa. At least some Iowa fans are wondering if they can replace Jok's 19.9 point average from last year. ISU OTOH just returns 23.0 points from their returning roster (5 players) that played in more than 9 games after losing four starters and 58.9 points per game to replace.

Reactions: M&Shawk and unIowa
It has been posted over and over about Fran's dumpster fire he inherited. Fred had at least one good recruit coming in the way of Ejim, can't remember who else if any. Fred had no experience as a coach though and such a short roster he recruited two guys off the football team his first year in order to have enough players to scrimmage in practice yet still didn't have a losing record.

I don't have a clue who will win the matchup at Hilton but if Iowa doesn't win they certainly should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa. At least some Iowa fans are wondering if they can replace Jok's 19.9 point average from last year. ISU OTOH just returns 23.0 points from their returning roster (5 players) that played in more than 9 games after losing four starters and 58.9 points per game to replace.

Say what?!?!

Lone, what do you not like about Iowa's roster and/or make you feel that ISU's roster is superior? Honest question, not a flame. I won't get into Fran vs Prohm. I respect your opinion but I think Fran is starting to get it done, especially on the recruiting side.
I don't dislike Iowa's roster or have anything bad to say about it -- which has been the case in the past, primarily because some of Iowa's better players wouldn't have fit into ISU's concept very well. Jok and Uthoff certainly would have been good to get, and Fred tried to get them, but Woodbury, no.

Iowa has several players this year I'd like to see in cardinal and gold. Overall, I like ISU's squad better -- even though that means I'm violating a personal rule and buying into some of the hype about players who haven't yet seen the floor in Hilton.

If we're talking solely about returnees, I'd give the edge to the Hawks, if only because of sheer numbers, since ISU only has three guys back who played last year.

And we sure as hell wouldn't, either. So that's great.

I don't dislike Iowa's roster or have anything bad to say about it -- which has been the case in the past, primarily because some of Iowa's better players wouldn't have fit into ISU's concept very well. Jok and Uthoff certainly would have been good to get, and Fred tried to get them, but Woodbury, no.

Iowa has several players this year I'd like to see in cardinal and gold. Overall, I like ISU's squad better -- even though that means I'm violating a personal rule and buying into some of the hype about players who haven't yet seen the floor in Hilton.

If we're talking solely about returnees, I'd give the edge to the Hawks, if only because of sheer numbers, since ISU only has three guys back who played last year.

I don't know a lot about ISUs roster this year but I would think it is reasonable to believe that Iowa will be better at the 1 and 4 position this year (JoBo and Cook). I THINK that Moss is going to breakout this year and be that consistent high level threat he has shown at times to be but until he does it is all speculation. If Moss does indeed take that next step then Iowa is going to be pretty fantastic this year, if he doesn't then this season will be a grind and they will end up a bubble team once again.

Now, that next season (regardless if Cook stays or not) I think the team gets even better with JW being added to the roster. Honestly I am worried about the guard play this season as I am not sure what the guys behind Moss and JoBo are going to be able to provide, it may be a strength or it may be a weakness just too early to tell.

Reactions: perryhawk

if Iowa doesn't win at Hilton they certainly should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa?

U have to be joking...where and the hell do you come up with that? And who is they that should be questioning?

Prohm loses last year in Carver with a senior all-american PG among others...was there any questioning of his future at ISU?... I find it remarkable the double standard between Iowa losing at ISU and ISU losing at Iowa.

I will say one thing (for whoever should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa) if we happen to lose a single game on the schedule at a rivals place....you are not going to get your wish. I have to say this is one of the dumbest comments I have seen on here in a long time.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about ISUs roster this year but I would think it is reasonable to believe that Iowa will be better at the 1 and 4 position this year (JoBo and Cook). I THINK that Moss is going to breakout this year and be that consistent high level threat he has shown at times to be but until he does it is all speculation. If Moss does indeed take that next step then Iowa is going to be pretty fantastic this year, if he doesn't then this season will be a grind and they will end up a bubble team once again.

Now, that next season (regardless if Cook stays or not) I think the team gets even better with JW being added to the roster. Honestly I am worried about the guard play this season as I am not sure what the guys behind Moss and JoBo are going to be able to provide, it may be a strength or it may be a weakness just too early to tell.

wouldnt necessarily disagree with your assessment...but when it comes to this instate rivalry you can pretty much throw out who is the better team...been that way for a LONG time.

Last year is a prime example...
and Hilton is never a cakewalk....

wouldnt necessarily disagree with your assessment...but when it comes to this instate rivalry you can pretty much throw out who is the better team...been that way for a LONG time.

You can't really extrapolate a lot from the ISU-Iowa basketball game. Cyclones have lost twice in CHA as big favorites -- 2000, when they went on to win the Big XII, and last year, when they went on to win the Big XII tournament. Iowa won at least once in Hilton when it shouldn't have, and has come very close on several occasions.

Reactions: DanL53
if Iowa doesn't win at Hilton they certainly should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa?

U have to be joking...where and the hell do you come up with that? And who is they that should be questioning?

Prohm loses last year in Carver with a senior all-american PG among others...was there any questioning of his future at ISU?... I find it remarkable the double standard between Iowa losing at ISU and ISU losing at Iowa.

I will say one thing (for whoever should be questioning Fran's future at Iowa) if we happen to lose a single game on the schedule at a rivals place....you are not going to get your wish. I have to say this is one of the dumbest comments I have seen on here in a long time.

You can't really extrapolate a lot from the ISU-Iowa basketball game. Cyclones have lost twice in CHA as big favorites -- 2000, when they went on to win the Big XII, and last year, when they went on to win the Big XII tournament. Iowa won at least once in Hilton when it shouldn't have, and has come very close on several occasions.

Certainly instate rivals are no time to measure length and girth. It's always going to be a battle.

And, as I recall after the game last year Cyclone Fanatic Erupted with calls for Prohm's head. So, perhaps that is where our wandering Clone gets the idea this game means so much. Yes, it is a big deal...but Iowa has several big deals going this year, Iowa State is just one more. Now, if they want to put the pressure on Prohm to beat Iowa or be canned...that's fine by me.

Reactions: perryhawk
Certainly instate rivals are no time to measure length and girth. It's always going to be a battle.

And, as I recall after the game last year Cyclone Fanatic Erupted with calls for Prohm's head. So, perhaps that is where our wandering Clone gets the idea this game means so much. Yes, it is a big deal...but Iowa has several big deals going this year, Iowa State is just one more. Now, if they want to put the pressure on Prohm to beat Iowa or be canned...that's fine by me.
To whom are you referring as "wandering Clone"? Not I, surely.

Huh?

When is the last time in recent memory that Iowa walked into Hilton with the "superior team"?

Iowa State had a nice six-year run and was a legitimate Top 25 team for a few years. This is probably the first year in quite a while they will be in a rebuilding mode. What that means in terms of wins/losses is anyone's guess, but I don't know of too many fan bases that are ever confident in their team getting a W in Hilton any year, and haven't heard or read any Iowa fans saying it will be an easy win, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Furthermore, if the Iowa players go into Hilton cocky and expecting Iowa State to lay down, they are equally as stupid as the senior-laden Cyclone squad that waltzed into Carver last year with their tongues wagging. For the record, I don't think the Iowa players are that stupid.

Yes, Iowa has a lot of work to do to compete at a Top 25 level and contend for deep runs in March. (Perhaps this year they could get lucky and have a path to the Sweet 16 that goes through the likes of Iona and Arkansas Little Rock, who knows.) But, yes, Iowa needs to keep improving. Worrying about Iowa State's brief, half-decade flirtation with national prominence is of no relevance or consequence to that.

Fran is 0-3 in Ames but this could be his year with all that ISU lost last year. The last time Iowa won at Hilton was 2001 when Eustachy and Alford were the coaches and I barely remembered some of the players names on either team.

Fran is 0-3 in Ames but this could be his year with all that ISU lost last year. The last time Iowa won at Hilton was 2001 when Eustachy and Alford were the coaches and I barely remembered some of the players names on either team.

2001? well at least I now know why you think if Iowa happens to lose at Ames this year they should be questioning Fran's future.

Still trying to figure out who they is.

Wrong.

Reactions: DanL53
Arguably the last two games in Ames have been evenly matched, and Iowa had great chances to win both.

True, Iowa had great chances to win in the two most recent games in Ames; perhaps a bit of a stretch about it being "evenly matched" if you are referring to talent.

Regardless, Iowa won at Hilton in 2003 during the NIT. Hence, my "Wrong" comment.

Why so angry Hawkibob?

Even in your explanation, you imply Helter Skelter to be an undisciplined style of play. Even an undisciplined style of play requires a great deal of discipline.

When ISU was down to Oklahoma by 21 or so at half a couple years back (Buddy Hield and Georges Niang were seniors) and ISU came back to win, I recall Monte Morris saying that they scrapped the offense at half, spread the floor, and just played.

My point is this, ISU has the type of players (then and now) to make this adjustment and play this style. I"m not sure Iowa can say the same tbing.

I will stick with Prohm and ISU's roster. Fran and Iowa havent produced nearly as much. Maybe this year will be different at both schools? ISU has a lot of unknowns, but Prohm has done more than enough to instill confidence.

Why so angry Hawkibob?

Even in your explanation, you imply Helter Skelter to be an undisciplined style of play. Even an undisciplined style of play requires a great deal of discipline.

When ISU was down to Oklahoma by 21 or so at half a couple years back (Buddy Hield and Georges Niang were seniors) and ISU came back to win, I recall Monte Morris saying that they scrapped the offense at half, spread the floor, and just played.

My point is this, ISU has the type of players (then and now) to make this adjustment and play this style. I"m not sure Iowa can say the same tbing.

I will stick with Prohm and ISU's roster. Fran and Iowa havent produced nearly as much. Maybe this year will be different at both schools? ISU has a lot of unknowns, but Prohm has done more than enough to instill confidence.

F Off...hows that> I could give 2 shits about your dip shit ISU history...we beat your ass last year against your All-American PG...so stick Prohm up your ass...cause there were plenty of your boys who were questioning your boy bigtime. Notice I didnt say a word if we happen to beat you in Lames and the future of your boy....

I wasnt the one who suggested if we lose in Ames this year .. "they should consider Fran's future"....F U & your ISU friends... a single game against you dip shits in Lames isnt going to affect Fran's future. OH I'm sure you hope it would...

Hows that for angry...ass wipe.

superior roster? I wouldnt quite agree with that.
ISU didnt do them any favors last year doing a little trash mouth before the game and showed even less class afterwards.

This is a transition year for their coach. Needs to win with his players now.

I dont agree with a 2 year peak..assuming you mean by 2 years Oct 2019.
The question will be how quick this team becomes a cohesive unit. I dont think it will take 2 years.

We have gone into Hilton the last couple of times..beat the crap out of them in the first 20 minutes but couldnt maintain...especially when ISU started playing helter skelter ball.

ISU is going to miss Morris alot.

So Fran is allowed to have 7 bad to mediocre years, but Prohm needs to win NOW, in his thrid year? Whatever you say...

So Fran is allowed to have 7 bad to mediocre years, but Prohm needs to win NOW, in his thrid year? Whatever you say...

try reading dipshit...show me where I said anything close to saying anything about your coach winning now.

7 bad to mediocre? whatever you say...

so what was I saying about going to another schools site....what do u say stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT