ADVERTISEMENT

CMac

BVHawkeye

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2003
I'm hoping he decides to come back. Probably wouldn't have said that a mid-season. He is like a coach on the floor and is a leader. Our bench is going to be a little thin next year.

The starting lineup is pretty set. JT, Perkins, PMac, Kris, PR. I'm assuming they will all return for their year of eligibility. Bench of Ulis, Sandfort, with Sandfort getting almost starters minutes if he shoots it like I think he can. Our new recruit was seriously hurt and who know when he will be ready. Not sure of O and Mulva.

With all that said I think it would be an asset if he comes back.

We will know in a few weeks where most of our roster will be in place. We know we will be down at least one Murray & no JBo. We should know Connor's plans as well. I imagine we may see a transfer or 2 but that is today's NCAA basketball scene.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
If Connor comes back for another season, I think I'll throw up, I've seen enough of his stylized shooting form to give me nightmares for the rest of my life. There's a reason he doesn't have any confidence in his stroke as his stroke was conceived by a mad scientist that knew nothing about basketball.
I'm tired of seeing apposing centers guarding Connor from 10 feet away.
Go get a real job and be a coach on the sidelines and make money to boot.

I'm hoping he decides to come back. Probably wouldn't have said that a mid-season. He is like a coach on the floor and is a leader. Our bench is going to be a little thin next year.

The starting lineup is pretty set. JT, Perkins, PMac, Kris, PR. I'm assuming they will all return for their year of eligibility. Bench of Ulis, Sandfort, with Sandfort getting almost starters minutes if he shoots it like I think he can. Our new recruit was seriously hurt and who know when he will be ready. Not sure of O and Mulva.

I hope not. I think it's hard enough having one kid on your team, let alone two. Connor has a lot of great attributes IMO, but he has always been kind of a tweener. Not enough size or athleticism to play inside. Not enough quickness or shooting skills to play outside. Don't know who's leaving yet, but if he comes back that won't stop Fran from playing him over players like Kris, Sandfort, Perkins, Joe or Ulis who can be more effective at a particular position because that is what Fran will feel compelled to do.

Here's is the stat's from Connor in the 10 games that Iowa lost.
15.5 min, 1.5 points. Yeah he should return, Perkins 19.4 min, 9.5 points,
Ulis 14.5 min, 3.5 points, Joe T. 18.7 min, 4.3 points.
You have to have balance between the front and back court. Iowa was not even close

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
You have to have balance between the front and back court. Iowa was not even close
Are those the stats of those other guys in the games lost as well? Or for the season?

Reactions: perryhawk
I've said before - if you can't see what Connor brings you're really not smart enough to watch the game. The only thing a lot of you know about basketball is how to read the box score. There's a bit more going on.
Connor can bring whatever you think he brings to the team as a grad assistant or a video coordinator. They don't need a coach on the floor as they pay Fran millions of dollars to do the same thing from the sidelines. As many have said, Iowa doesn't need a player that provides no offensive being guarding by the opposing center.
Fran obviously spends enormous time recruiting front line players since he arrived at Iowa, White, Uthoff, the Murray brothers, even a center from the Washington area receiving the top award in the country, but besides Devyn Marble and maybe Peter Jok, Fran hasn't recruited any guards that came close to being the players Iowa has needed to compete for a Big Ten title or advance past the second game of the NCAA tournament.
Fast forward to this years Iowa roster and the few players that may end up as guards that could help Iowa change that perception are Tony Perkins, Ahron Ulus and recruit Desonte Bowen. Now I'm not leaving out Joe Toussaint but Joe is not a scorer nor defensive stopper and Joe's been at Iowa for 3 years now and I'm not convinced he is the type of guard that will lead Iowa to where they what to go and that is the one item that is holding Iowa back from contending for a Big title or getting to the second week of the NCAA tournament.
Watching this years tournament and even past tournaments, guards control this game and hopefully Fran has seen the light of day and has begun to recruit that part of the game that Iowa needs so badly.
It's time for Connor to hang up his sneakers, but if he doesn't, he's is not going to the player Iowa needs as we have 5 years of his work to look back on with very little improvement to be seen.

Last edited:
I've said before - if you can't see what Connor brings you're really not smart enough to watch the game. The only thing a lot of you know about basketball is how to read the box score. There's a bit more going on.
Come on with the only you can see what he is really bringing to the game and if you don't see the magic that is before us you really don't understand basketball. What are your credentials? My guess, the same as the rest of ours... Hey I don't hate Connor as a player and there were times he should 100% have been on the floor. However, there were also times he shouldn't and with a deep team there were oprions. I do think that there were several times this year, especially early on when he did not have it and Fran still played him over others. The risk is Fran will always stay with Connor even when there are better options in a given game. He doesn't afford that same luxury to other players especially JT.

I've said it before, if you can't see that a guy that doesn't make shots is the guy opponents help off of to double Keegan, then you are not smart enough to watch the game.

I told all of you after he played in the high school state championship that he’d never be a great player or live up to his recruiting rankings. So spare me with this “only fanboys know what’s up” BS

Lol. Oh, so being able to shoot/score isn't part of the game? 100% agree with you that Connor does some good stuff on the floor, but one of them isn't scoring and this team cannot afford to play 4 on 5 offensively. You can hide a guy like Connor if he plays off the ball, but you can't when he is a primary ball handler. He will reluctantly shoot a wide open 3, but that's it. Zero mid-range or dribble drive game even when he is lightly guarded.

Kid plays his ass off and is an excellent facilitator, but he isn't a lock down defender which would be the only justification for playing a non-scorer significant minutes. Without Keegan, points are going to be hard to come by and Joe T and Ulis aren't exactly skilled offensive players either.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the box score matters. It's what determines who wins or loses games. Intangibles matter, but Connor being 0 threat to score offsets his hustle and "coach on the floor" value--see Richmond game. How times was he the most open guy on the floor and didn't even look at the basket?

God no to Cmac coming back...

I hope not. I think it's hard enough having one kid on your team, let alone two. Connor has a lot of great attributes IMO, but he has always been kind of a tweener. Not enough size or athleticism to play inside. Not enough quickness or shooting skills to play outside. Don't know who's leaving yet, but if he comes back that won't stop Fran from playing him over players like Kris, Sandfort, Perkins, Joe or Ulis who can be more effective at a particular position because that is what Fran will feel compelled to do.
If the two recruits pan out then no. If they aren't ready to play then our bench is kind of short. I've been told it's likely to fully recover from that serious leg injury. If that is true, then he should move on. Not sure how far he has progressed on a post-graduate degree, but he will make a hell of a coach some day. No one on our roster has a better handle on the game.

Fran wants CMac back and that is all that matters so get used to the idea Connor will be back playing for this team next year. I like Connor’s game on the court with the exception of his offensive production which needs to be a focal point this off-season to improve his ability to be a contributor on the floor as a starter to around 8 to 10 points per game, 4 to 8 rebounds per game, and be able to limit his defensive assignment to less than what he puts up per game.

Reactions: DewHawk
Do you have the stats for games Iowa won?

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
If the two recruits pan out then no. If they aren't ready to play then our bench is kind of short. I've been told it's likely to fully recover from that serious leg injury. If that is true, then he should move on. Not sure how far he has progressed on a post-graduate degree, but he will make a hell of a coach some day. No one on our roster has a better handle on the game.
why? I'm tired of not giving some of our younger players experience. Why prolong the agony and growing pains to their sophomore year just so cmac can play and have little impact on our season record.

Fran wants CMac back and that is all that matters so get used to the idea Connor will be back playing for this team next year. I like Connor’s game on the court with the exception of his offensive production which needs to be a focal point this off-season to improve his ability to be a contributor on the floor as a starter to around 8 to 10 points per game, 4 to 8 rebounds per game, and be able to limit his defensive assignment to less than what he puts up per game.
If Connor returns whether or not he counts against the 13 scholarships, spells lazy recruiter and Fran has no confidence in the returning guards. There is absolutely no reason to have him return, NONE. Losing Keegan and returning Connor spells failed season next year. F-Fran if this turns out to be true.

Reactions: littlez
If Connor returns whether or not he counts against the 13 scholarships, spells lazy recruiter and Fran has no confidence in the returning guards. There is absolutely no reason to have him return, NONE. Losing Keegan and returning Connor spells failed season next year. F-Fran if this turns out to be true.
From Chad Leistikow post game after the Richmond loss:

In postgame Fran McCaffery said he would like to have Connor back for a sixth year but his son will take time to think about it.

Also, he was asked about the bouncy Wilson basketballs that do have a weird feel.

"I think if you would ask the players, they would tell you they don't like it. But they played with the same ball we played with. So it cannot be an excuse. But I don't think it's a good ball."

Iowa was 6-of-29 from 3.

You sounds confused because Connor was a forward all year and if he comes back, he'll play forward again. In fact if Connor comes back it shows Fran has more confidence in his guards to be able to shoot and score.

Reactions: hagarwood
why? I'm tired of not giving some of our younger players experience. Why prolong the agony and growing pains to their sophomore year just so cmac can play and have little impact on our season record.
Because one we were counting on broke both lower bones in his leg. The other is a point guard. We’ve already got two of those in Joe and Ulis. If they are not ready to play then we are a little short. Still not Big O and Mulva (sp) fans yet!

Because one we were counting on broke both lower bones in his leg. The other is a point guard. We’ve already got two of those in Joe and Ulis. If they are not ready to play then we are a little short. Still not Big O and Mulva (sp) fans yet!
Portal. End of story. A lot of those big 12 schools were playing a lot of portal players. We don’t need 10 players, fran struggles with too many options.

I’m no expert on feeding the post, but I do believe @Rudolph knows a thing or two about it and really needs to get ITT to straighten y’all out.

You sounds confused because Connor was a forward all year and if he comes back, he'll play forward again. In fact if Connor comes back it shows Fran has more confidence in his guards to be able to shoot and score.
I think he will come back and play more point guard with JBo gone, especially late in the game. He was a quality player starting with the Penn State game when he was making 3s. I do think with his experience and versatility he would be a bonus the team next year as long as he’s not playing 30 minutes a game. We saw in the NCAAs this year that experienced guards, especially point guards, are a big advantage.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez and NI hawk
I think he will come back and play more point guard with JBo gone, especially late in the game. He was a quality player starting with the Penn State game when he was making 3s. I do think with his experience and versatility he would be a bonus the team next year as long as he’s not playing 30 minutes a game. We saw in the NCAAs this year that experienced guards, especially point guards, are a big advantage.
and there is the problem. Frans refusal to hand the keys over to someone else.

Reactions: unclesammy
I don't think it spells lazy recruiter. Like most fathers, Fran wants his sons playing for him. It's not any more complicated than that.

Reactions: Ronman
What you see in the tournament is that guards who can play great perimeter defense, shoot the three, and take a defender off the dribble for an assist or a basket at the rim are a big advantage. Tell me which of these things Connor is really good at? I get that he hit a few 3's over a period of 3 games out of 34 but please don't use that. He was intentionally left open during that period because he didn't warrant being guarded. He went on to score 11 points in the final 7 games combined failing to score in 4 of them.

We need three shooters, who can consistently make 3's, in the game at all time. Just looking at this past year, we started with PMac, JBo, Keegan, those were our three. Then when subs came in, it was CMac for PMac, so we lost a shooter, but also we saw Kris come in at the same time, so that put us back at three. We need that same thing next year and I don't see how that get's accomplished if CMac is a guard. I don't see that happening. If we don't get anyone out of the portal, then I see CMac coming back and playing a similar role as this year, to be a sub for his brother. I actually think CMac would have played a lot less if PMac could play defense. For being a coaches son, PMac sure seems confused on defense.

Reactions: unclesammy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT