ADVERTISEMENT

CNBC: Biden promises to codify Roe if two more Democrats are elected to the Senate

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
President Joe Biden vowed Friday that Democrats will codify the right to an abortion into law if two more are elected to the U.S. Senate in the upcoming midterm elections.

"If you give me two more senators in the United States Senate, I promise you, I promise you, we're going to codify Roe and once again make Roe the law of the land," Biden said at the headquarters of the country's largest union, the National Education Association, in Washington, D.C.

With 46 days to go until November's Election Day, Biden urged supporters at a Democratic National Committee event to consider "what's on the ballot," listing issues including abortion, Social Security and gun control.

The only thing we need Joe to do is live and stay somewhat coherent for two more years so Kamala doesn’t become President. Thankfully trump is not president but Biden is bad too. Sad for our once great country two horrendous presidents in a row have decimated it.

This world is sad. Let's guarantee the right to end innocent human life. Smh.

Someday humans are going to look back at us the same way we look back at slaveowners and genocides. We are monsters.

Codify Roe
Marriage Protection for all
Restore Voting Rights Act
Balance the Supreme Court

All things that are more important than a filibuster.
Without voicing an opinion on any of the 4 items listed, if they were accomplished by ending filibuster wouldn't everything put into law be vulnerable to repeal at the whim of each new Congress?

An end to filibuster, on the surface, feels like a direct path to anarchy.

Why do they need two more when they already have a majority? Which two Democrats do they assume would vote against the bill?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Without voicing an opinion on any of the 4 items listed, if they were accomplished by ending filibuster wouldn't everything put into law be vulnerable to repeal at the whim of each new Congress?

An end to filibuster, on the surface, feels like a direct path to anarchy.

I think it would actually hold our Representatives more accountable. Congress uses the filibuster as a crutch, any Representative can put together a word salad of a statement about why they don't support a bill that failed to pass, and a majority of the country will believe them because 99% of them won't take the time to actually look at the legislation.

If they get rid of the filibuster at least the public will get to decide if they like the job Congress is doing. If they pass a bill that is a success, the "no's" will have to answer for why they didn't support it. If some shit bill is passed then the people who supported it can actually be held accountable and the next Congress can either try to repeal or fix the prior mess.

Could there be some wild swings? Possibly, but I think a majority of Representatives won't be willing to risk their political career on some of these "extreme" stances if they know voters can hold them accountable.

I think it would actually hold our Representatives more accountable. Congress uses the filibuster as a crutch, any Representative can put together a word salad of a statement about why they don't support a bill that failed to pass, and a majority of the country will believe them because 99% of them won't take the time to actually look at the legislation.

If they get rid of the filibuster at least the public will get to decide if they like the job Congress is doing. If they pass a bill that is a success, the "no's" will have to answer for why they didn't support it. If some shit bill is passed then the people who supported it can actually be held accountable and the next Congress can either try to repeal or fix the prior mess.

Could there be some wild swings? Possibly, but I think a majority of Representatives won't be willing to risk their political career on some of these "extreme" stances if they know voters can hold them accountable.
Thank you! I appreciate the thoughtful response.

Without saying it would apply to abortion, can't the SCOTUS rule federal law is unconstitutional?
I’m not sure exactly but I think that Democrats would make some level of funding contingent on access to abortion. I don’t think they could pass An abortion access mandate that would stand up to the SCOTUS, but they could pass a funding measure that would.

The only thing we need Joe to do is live and stay somewhat coherent for two more years so Kamala doesn’t become President. Thankfully trump is not president but Biden is bad too. Sad for our once great country two horrendous presidents in a row have decimated it.

i would argue including Biden the last 10 presidents in a row have decimated it. (Eisienhower and JFK = good. Then comes LBJ (not bad but not good. Dealt a bad hand, did his best and moved us in the civil rights direction. Wasn’t exactly the level of his predecessors, but not horrible)… then came Nixon.

and everyone after him has IMO also been a twat waffle.

ADVERTISEMENT