ADVERTISEMENT

CNBC: Biden promises to codify Roe if two more Democrats are elected to the Senate

Pathetic response.

Face it, you got caught.
I believe McConnell viewed Trump as an unreliable partner, erratic, impulsive and not to be trusted. McConnell dumps the filibuster for some particular initiative, then Trump burns McConnell with a bunch of stupid shit that McConnell knows will backfire on the GOP, and then he has Trump going after him and his colleagues in public.

But for a more disciplined, measured GOP president, who McConnell trusted and felt he could work with? Yeah, I believe (meaning my opinion) McConnell would have no qualms about dumping the filibuster.

By the way, “got caught”? Grow the hell up. Stop with your stupid gotcha attempts and “Link?” stupidity. You look foolish.

This world is sad. Let's guarantee the right to end innocent human life. Smh.

Someday humans are going to look back at us the same way we look back at slaveowners and genocides. We are monsters.
Why do you want millions of unwanted babies added to the population? Why do you want more poverty? Why do you want more crime and violence?

Reactions: Ree4
Which would all evaporate when the R’s take back over….back and forth with bare majorities in the Senate.

So stupid and short sighted.
You assume people want the MAGA party? The majority of the country will never go for what today’s Republicans stand for.

Reactions: Ree4
Funny Northern thinks anyone should feel obliged to preserve the extraconstitutional antidemocratic filibuster. I think the only way I'd feel that way is if I had extremely unpopular beliefs but an inordinate amount of power to force them on others. Mr Smith Goes to Washington was a movie about something that never happened but patriots lap it up.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I believe McConnell viewed Trump as an unreliable partner, erratic, impulsive and not to be trusted. McConnell dumps the filibuster for some particular initiative, then Trump burns McConnell with a bunch of stupid shit that McConnell knows will backfire on the GOP, and then he has Trump going after him and his colleagues in public.

But for a more disciplined, measured GOP president, who McConnell trusted and felt he could work with? Yeah, I believe (meaning my opinion) McConnell would have no qualms about dumping the filibuster.

By the way, “got caught”? Grow the hell up. Stop with your stupid gotcha attempts and “Link?” stupidity. You look foolish.

Oh I'm certain someone looks foolish alright.

@Tom Paris I’m not sure why you chose to laugh at my question rather than simply answering it. I’m guessing it’s probably Manchin and Sinema but I don’t know enough about each senator’s views on abortion to make that assumption.

Why do you want millions of unwanted babies added to the population? Why do you want more poverty? Why do you want more crime and violence?
And more production, and more brilliant minds, and more art, and more music, and more of a million great things that people are.

Why do you only look at the negative part of humanity? Do you think most poor people would rather be dead or alive? What about you?

While we are getting rid of the unwanted babies, how about we get rid of the physically and mentally handicapped, the old and expensive to care for, the mentally ill, ISU fans, criminals etc?

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
And more production, and more brilliant minds, and more art, and more music, and more of a million great things that people are.

Why do you only look at the negative part of humanity? Do you think most poor people would rather be dead or alive? What about you?
Because I live in reality. I know the Republican party will vote against everything that will benefit these kids and their mothers after they are born.

While we are getting rid of the unwanted babies, how about we get rid of the physically and mentally handicapped, the old and expensive to care for, the mentally ill, ISU fans, criminals etc?
Stupid argument is stupid. You’re basically asking for more of all of that. You want more kids born into poverty but don’t want your tax dollars to go to better their lives. Typical Republican thinking. SMH.

Reactions: Ree4 and fsu1jreed
It's hard to believe that Rs want any of these people given their constant opposition to giving them help.
This. I really don’t believe they truly care that much about fetuses either. They just know that’s what their party expects them to think. I don’t think any of these Cons on here are REALLY upset about a poor person has an abortion, especially if the person in poverty is black. It’s fake caring.

This. I really don’t believe they truly care that much about fetuses either. They just know that’s what their party expects them to think. I don’t think any of these Cons on here are REALLY upset about a poor person has an abortion, especially if the person in poverty is black. It’s fake caring.
I see it through a class lens. Rich people can take care of themselves. It's the poor people who need real help. But for my entire life Rs have employed the stick method of motivation. Vote against minimum wage, vote against worker protections, reduce headstart programs, oppose free school lunches, bash healthcare assistance, cut unemployment benefits, bash welfare. All of these Republican opposition to helping the poor also destroys poor kids of all stripes and all levels of disabilities. They are the biggest sufferers.

Because I live in reality. I know the Republican party will vote against everything that will benefit these kids and their mothers after they are born.
Drink. Jfc this is your only argument. We should kill innocent human life because conservatives won't vote for every welfare bill ever put forward. Unbelievable.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
You assume people want the MAGA party? The majority of the country will never go for what today’s Republicans stand for.
Tom, will regain control again. It’s a cycle…we have 2 parties and they both suck to differing degrees. It’s very naïve to think the D’s will control things in perpetuity. Heck, it could be as soon as 2024 if the economy tanks…

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Because they never had a policy to vote on. All the bills on McConnell’s desk were put forth by Democrats. Or at least bipartisan.
Killing the filibuster is a Democratic Party thing…R’s haven’t been advocating for it. Just a fact.

Hypothetical. The D’s are the party that’s been advocating for it for a while now
Rs had two years to do away with the filibuster. If they really did have their own healthcare plan, infrastructure plan, education plan, environmental plan, or even immigration plan, the Rs would have immediately ended the filibuster.

But they have none of these.

i would argue including Biden the last 10 presidents in a row have decimated it. (Eisienhower and JFK = good. Then comes LBJ (not bad but not good. Dealt a bad hand, did his best and moved us in the civil rights direction. Wasn’t exactly the level of his predecessors, but not horrible)… then came Nixon.

and everyone after him has IMO also been a twat waffle.
Bush43 and his administration's desire to start a war for profiteering put right wing misinformation on the map and that's what started the assault on responsible freedom of speech by the right wing media and why we're so divided today.

Bush43 and his administration's desire to start a war for profiteering put right wing misinformation on the map and that's what started the assault on responsible freedom of speech by the right wing media and why we're so divided today.

Meh, misinformation has been around since the first election. 43 was the first to do it in the cable news/digital era where it went viral via mass media. It was a lot harder to get misinformation to spread when newspaper editors had individual control in cities.

Meh, misinformation has been around since the first election. 43 was the first to do it in the cable news/digital era where it went viral via mass media. It was a lot harder to get misinformation to spread when newspaper editors had individual control in cities.

Like I said, on the map.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Killing the filibuster is a Democratic Party thing…R’s haven’t been advocating for it. Just a fact.

Some R's advocated for it, Trump and some of his House cronies pushed the Senate hard to change the filibuster rule in 2017

Republicans push for filibuster change

It was the smart move politically by McConnell, he didn't need the filibuster to pass what he really wanted which was the tax cuts that passed through budget reconciliation. Keeps his hands clean and gets what he wants.

To @Formerly Rockymtnole point, the likelihood Republicans, McConnell, may change the filibuster if they regain control in 22/24 would be higher than previously because of the agenda/talking points they are now championing. The social initiatives and culture wars items will have to pass through legislation cant push these through with budget reconciliation

Some R's advocated for it, Trump and some of his House cronies pushed the Senate hard to change the filibuster rule in 2017

It was the smart move politically by McConnell, he didn't need the filibuster to pass what he really wanted which was the tax cuts that passed through budget reconciliation. Keeps his hands clean and gets what he wants.

To @Formerly Rockymtnole point, the likelihood Republicans, McConnell, may change the filibuster if they regain control in 22/24 would be higher than previously because of the agenda/talking points they are now championing. The social initiatives and culture wars items will have to pass through legislation cant push these through with budget reconciliation
Yea, great point. Another reason some forget to consider. McConnell got pretty much everything he wanted without any need to move to get rid of the filibuster.

That's it. Tie yourself into a pretzel.

Can you expound on what you are trying to convey?

Trying to explain away why the Republicans would break the filibuster now when they didn't do it before. You're just trying to make yourself feel better about your side wanting to break it now.

Trying to explain away why the Republicans would break the filibuster now when they didn't do it before. You're just trying to make yourself feel better about your side wanting to break it now.

Couple things -
I do not support the Democrats breaking the filibuster, and I dont have a "side"

McConnel and the Republicans at one point disagreed with a change to senate rules and spoke out against the change. Then 4 years later changed senate rules to get what they wanted ( Gorsuch confirmation by simple majority) McConnell switching his position on rule changes is not unprecedented, thus it is a reasonable assumption he may take the same path if faced with similar issues in the future.

Couple things -
I do not support the Democrats breaking the filibuster, and I dont have a "side"

McConnel and the Republicans at one point disagreed with a change to senate rules and spoke out against the change. Then 4 years later changed senate rules to get what they wanted ( Gorsuch confirmation by simple majority) McConnell switching his position on rule changes is not unprecedented, thus it is a reasonable assumption he may take the same path if faced with similar issues in the future.
You make good points, but I wouldn’t bother. It’s over his head.

Couple things -

You forgot a little something. Harry Reid started this with judges.

Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT