ADVERTISEMENT

CNBC: Biden promises to codify Roe if two more Democrats are elected to the Senate

I'd love to be able to find out just how bad Joe's dementia is. He goes from being surprising lucid to completely lost within moments.

Um, Joe, you will need to win the House, and need to win 10 additional Senate seats. It's highly doubtful either will happen.

Oh, and why do you want to codify Roe? Why not Casey?

And Joe, did you miss the part of Dobbs where the opinion said it's a states rights issue?

I'd love to be able to find out just how bad Joe's dementia is. He goes from being surprising lucid to completely lost within moments.

Um, Joe, you will need to win the House, and need to win 10 additional Senate seats. It's highly doubtful either will happen.

Oh, and why do you want to codify Roe? Why not Casey?

And Joe, did you miss the part of Dobbs where the opinion said it's a states rights issue?
Why should reproductive freedom be a states rights issue?

Jus wishing, but I’d like to see an amendment to the constitution recognizing a fundamental right to privacy. It shouldn’t be any interest of the state who you are marrying, or who you are sleeping with, or what you choose to do with your body. Barring infringing the rights of others, you should have the right to live your life as you choose.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why a conservative wouldn’t be all in on codifying a right to privacy. It goes to everything they stand for.

Reactions: Ree4 and nelly02
Why should reproductive freedom be a states rights issue?
It's not about reproductive freedom. You can pretend that if it makes you feel better about your argument.

To be clear, I don't pretend to know when a fetus becomes a person, but I know it's before the 3rd trimester.

Last edited:
Reactions: hexumhawk
It's not about reproductive freedom. You can pretend that if it makes you feel beeter about your argument.

To be clear, I don't pretend to know when a fetus becomes a person, but I know it's before the 3rd trimester.
So to clarify your position, you believe that abortion is the ending of a human life?

Biden is doing a fantastic job. Horrific take
This is why you are laughing stock. What is your definition of a fantastic job? Do you love high interest rates, record high inflation, record number of illegal immigrants, ballooning deficit, thousands of deaths in Afghanistan wasted? What of those to you love?

Hopefully most people don't think like you. If we don't hold our politicians responsible for their actions, our country is doomed.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This is why you are laughing stock. What is your definition of a fantastic job? Do you love high interest rates, record high inflation, record number of illegal immigrants, ballooning deficit, thousands of deaths in Afghanistan wasted? What of those to you love?

Hopefully most people don't think like you. If we don't hold our politicians responsible for their actions, our country is doomed.

Hey look it's the dude who grew up in Waterloo who hates unions and interracial marriage. Wonder what happened there.

Reactions: Ree4 and nelly02
Codify Roe
Marriage Protection for all
Restore Voting Rights Act
Balance the Supreme Court

All things that are more important than a filibuster.

Only problem is what happens when the Republicans win the senate and there is no more filibuster.

Ending the filibuster only makes sense if you don't think the other side can ever win a majority again.

Reactions: abby97
Only problem is what happens when the Republicans win the senate and there is no more filibuster.

Ending the filibuster only makes sense if you don't think the other side can ever win a majority again.
Disagree. Senators would have to vote on bills and defend their votes and they wouldn't be able to inflame their base with demagoguery without following through. They would have to follow through and face the backlash or not follow through and face the backlash.

Reactions: Ree4 and WDSMHAWK
You forgot a little something. Harry Reid started this with judges.

Clearly, I did not forget that fact, as it was the basis of my post when I pointed out that McConnell disagreed with the change at the time.
Mentioning McConnell's change of position was to make the point he spoke out against the democrats when they made the change, but when he wanted something he made a change.

Clearly, I did not forget that fact, as it was the basis of my post when I pointed out that McConnell disagreed with the change at the time.
Mentioning McConnell's change of position was to make the point he spoke out against the democrats when they made the change, but when he wanted something he made a change.

And it's easier to reverse a prior stated position when the opposing political party has done away with the norm.

Reactions: abby97
I like Al Franken's ideas on this topic. He recommends a change that would require some effort to sustain a filibuster rather than the easy button way it's done now.

Can't dispute the facts so you call names, how intellectually mature of you.:rolleyes:

I didn't call you a name. I restated your one of your explicit and one of your implicit positions based on your posting history. Unless that's name calling?

Meaning.....only abortions in the first trimester would be allowed - that's all Roe allowed for

How is eliminating the filibuster a threat to democracy? It was created by accident when Senators weren't elected democratically.
Because it has been part of the way the senate has operated for nearly 2 centuries? One L
party does not get to change it to pass ‘normal’ (non fiscal) legislation because it fits their whim.

Think about it. They change and create a law that republicans soon reverse upon changing of the winds? It prevents the passage of wildly partisan legislation. It doesn’t prevent legislation. The reason people want it gone is to pass things that can’t get any bipartisan support. National right to abortion, voting rules that favor one party etc.

This would not be good for the country.

So to clarify your position, you believe that abortion is the ending of a human life?
At some point it is. I don't know exactly when that point is on the gestational timeline. Based on Casey, which uses a viability test, it would be in the 20 - 22 week period.

At some point it is. I don't know exactly when that point is on the gestational timeline. Based on Casey, which uses a viability test, it would be in the 20 - 22 week period.
I ask because if abortion is murder then how is it a states rights issue? Why would some states be able to allow murder, but not others? I'm just trying to find the consistency in logic here.

Help me to understand the Dobbs logic and how it makes sense.

Reactions: Ree4

The politically savvy Republicans know that a majority of their legislation ideas are unpopular so whatever they pass/repeal would result in blowback in the next election.

Thats why they love the filibuster it blocks Democrats from passing legislation that has public support and allows them to govern without having to actually pass the red meat they feed to their base.

I ask because if abortion is murder then how is it a states rights issue? Why would some states be able to allow murder, but not others? I'm just trying to find the consistency in logic here.

Ending a human life isn’t always murder.

Killing the filibuster is a Democratic Party thing…R’s haven’t been advocating for it. Just a fact.
What does the filibuster have to do with McConnell refusing to bring any of 400 bills to the floor? You think ALL of those were bad for America? You keep doing your both sides BS. That's what it is, BS. Anybody who can't see that after what we are witnessing isn't very intelligent to put it mildly. Unbelievable that you try to equate today's Republicans to Democrats. SMH.

Last edited:
Reactions: franklinman
Speculation and no evidence to support your assertion.

Just a BS justification for the D’s to get rid of it…
It's like you actually believe Republicans at this point of their game. Lie after lie after lie after lie. Pay. Attention. Like Huey said, McConnell would absolutely get rid of the filibuster if he deemed it necessary. Just like they did what they did with the SC. If you would say the Democrats aren't perfect, then I agree with that. But you try to make them equally bad to today's Republican Party whose loudest voices are batshit crazy people and grifters/conmen. That's ridiculous. Just look at the indictments/arrests over the last 50 years, party vs. party. Again, figure this crap out.

Some people call it murder. Not everyone does. Did any of the justices call it murder in the Dobbs ruling?
If it's not murder then how can they justify the banning of medically necessary surgeries? That's what makes no sense to me.

If it's not murder then how can they justify the banning of medically necessary surgeries? That's what makes no sense to me.
Which “medically necessary surgeries” did Dobbs ban?

You keep saying you’re trying to understand the logic, and yet you keep saying things that make no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Which “medically necessary surgeries” did Dobbs ban?

You keep saying you’re trying to understand the logic, and yet you keep saying things that make no goddamn sense whatsoever.
Read this. Some states are preventing life saving surgeries.

My question is how? How can states prevent medically necessary, and life saving, surgeries?

"In states that have now banned or limited abortions, it's become more difficult, if not impossible, to obtain timely treatment, with "timely" meaning removing the fertilized egg before it grows large enough to rupture an organ. Doctors fear these new restrictions will put many people in danger."

States already have their own definition of murder, and degrees of murder.

Read this. Some states are preventing life saving surgeries.

My question is how? How can states prevent medically necessary, and life saving, surgeries?

"In states that have now banned or limited abortions, it's become more difficult, if not impossible, to obtain timely treatment, with "timely" meaning removing the fertilized egg before it grows large enough to rupture an organ. Doctors fear these new restrictions will put many people in danger."

You’re all over the map with your posts. Let’s go back and restart with a question that you neglected to answer earlier.

Is it your contention that abortion is not the ending of a human life?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT