ADVERTISEMENT

CNN article on Floridas red flag law

ihhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
Nice article.

Two major changes following parkland. Raised the age to 21 and the red flag law. Looks like it is helping.

Also, the info about the NRA is something GOP lawmakers need to read

Evidence that even in a red state, something can be done and it can be effective. Kudos to Rick Scott for signing the bill into law.

Evidence that even in a red state, something can be done and it can be effective. Kudos to Rick Scott for signing the bill into law.
Shhhhhhhhhh.... DeathSantis will issue an executive order overturning this law if he knows it exists

I think one important take away from the article is that the GOP politicians didn’t get voted out even after the threats from the NRA.

There are GOP politicians out there who just don’t see the need to regulate firearms at all. That will be a hard group to flip.

There are also the Dem politicians that make dumb statements about 9mm guns being banned.

When the two groups start opening their mouths, nothing ever changes.

The nation can learn from what Florida did. It was specific areas that needed addressed.

I think one important take away from the article is that the GOP politicians didn’t get voted out even after the threats from the NRA.

There are GOP politicians out there who just don’t see the need to regulate firearms at all. That will be a hard group to flip.

There are also the Dem politicians that make dumb statements about 9mm guns being banned.

When the two groups start opening their mouths, nothing ever changes.

The nation can learn from what Florida did. It was specific areas that needed addressed.
Agreed. While the fringes want either all or nothing, the middle (where most of us reside) support reasonable changes.

This is proven by the two of us being in agreement on such a controversial issue.

Agreed. While the fringes want either all or nothing, the middle (where most of us reside) support reasonable changes.

This is proven by the two of us being in agreement on such a controversial issue.
Well said. ^^ FWIW, the reason that I am personally such a stickler on the "discussion" being fact based, accurate and specific is because I think those factors are vital to help bridge the gap between those that are both on opposing sides of this AND "in the middle " enough to come together for some meaningful solutions.

The people on the extremes actually prevent progress IMO and should be ignored. One of the tactics of those outside the margins in either direction is to warp the facts and truth to then mislead others, hoping to maintain or advance their position.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don’t know why this is so hard. These laws combined with school hardening and more money for law enforcement (assuming they are better than the deputy in Broward and the entire Uvalde PD) are something all should agree upon. It’s low hanging fruit.

I don’t know why this is so hard. These laws combined with school hardening and more money for law enforcement (assuming they are better than the deputy in Broward and the entire Uvalde PD) are something all should agree upon. It’s low hanging fruit.
I suggest that an alternative to forcing people to go thru an FFL for a private sale, we allow private sellers to access the NICS system for a small fee, say $5. This could be similar to the E-Verify system. Most FFL's charge around $25 to handle internet sales now, but some are charging as much as $125. Then we can have a law against private sellers knowingly selling a gun to someone not eligible.

Also, red flag laws can be better if we make sure violent mental health episodes are reported to the NICS database, as long as there's due process to fix mistakes. while we're at it, juvenile felonies and mental health episodes need to be in the database as well. If some kid is killing cats at age 15, that's a red flag.

Yet it can't even get to the point of debate much less passage.
You have to look deeper, my friend. I think if you look, Dems aren't willing to settle for these things because they want to ban guns, not limit who has them.

Just as Florida has done this, any state can do it. NY has a red flag law that should have been used against the Buffalo shooter. Why wasn't it?

You have to look deeper, my friend. I think if you look, Dems aren't willing to settle for these things because they want to ban guns, not limit who has them.

Just as Florida has done this, any state can do it. NY has a red flag law that should have been used against the Buffalo shooter. Why wasn't it?

There are certainly some Dems who want to fully & completely ban guns; there are also most certainly a number of Rs who are 100% opposed to Red Flag laws. Hell, just a few days prior to last week's school massacre, our Gov was pushing/promising the passage of Constitutional Carry in Florida.

Reactions: RileyHawk
There are certainly some Dems who want to fully & completely ban guns; there are also most certainly a number of Rs who are 100% opposed to Red Flag laws. Hell, just a few days prior to last week's school massacre, our Gov was pushing/promising the passage of Constitutional Carry in Florida.
This is true and my real frustration. There is no middle ground conversations that seem to be taking place.

Reactions: goldmom
If someone is prohibited from possessing a firearm, for any reason, then "Constitutional carry" doesn't magically override that. The proposed statute is specific on that.

It's misleading to say that in that context. Constitutional carry doesn't override other gun laws.

It's also misleading to say "Dems aren't willing to settle for these things because they want to ban guns, not limit who has them."

I agree there are some Dems who feel that way, but I'm quite sure that not all feel that way & think most would be fine with stricter rules.
Do you think that there are not quite a few Rs who are fully opposed to strict rules such as our Red Flag law? Many of those who I see pushing Constitutional Carry are absolutely opposed to it, and consider anyone who supports it to be a RINO who should be voted out of office.

It's also misleading to say "Dems aren't willing to settle for these things because they want to ban guns, not limit who has them."

I agree there are some Dems who feel that way, but I'm quite sure that not all feel that way & think most would be fine with stricter rules.
Do you think that there are not quite a few Rs who are fully opposed to strict rules such as our Red Flag law? Many of those who I see pushing Constitutional Carry are absolutely opposed to it, and consider anyone who supports it to be a RINO who should be voted out of office.
I disagree. Dems want to ban guns. Maybe not all of them, but at least the guns they think are scary.

Yes, some R's don't want any new laws. That said, the Constitutional Carry example you provided was flawed in its implication because it isn't designed to override the red flag law.

• Haha

Posts like this show you are part of the right fringe and not in the middle with most of us. Do Dems want more than the GOP?, sure. But for you to lump all of them together is neither true nor helpful to the conversation.

Dems like Schumer love to step in front of the nearest microphone and make grandiose pleas and statements.
There is a real honest to goodness group in the Senate - bipartisan - who are working on legislation that might actually pass. The House, on the other hand, is putting forth things that won’t get through the Senate. They know that but they’re more interested in screaming about how R’s don’t want laws, kids will die, etc.
Red flag laws are not a bad thing but damn how did the POS in Buffalo get to buy all that weaponry? Giant fail. And innocent people died. 🤬

I disagree. Dems want to ban guns. Maybe not all of them, but at least the guns they think are scary.

Yes, some R's don't want any new laws. That said, the Constitutional Carry example you provided was flawed in its implication because it isn't designed to override the red flag law.

So basically, your position is that on the Dem side it's accurate to attach the thoughts of the most extreme to the entire party, but on the Rep side it's not ok to do that.

So basically, your position is that on the Dem side it's accurate to attach the thoughts of the most extreme to the entire party, but on the Rep side it's not ok to do that.
More of a “backatcha”.
Two can play the game. 😉

Posts like this show you are part of the right fringe and not in the middle with most of us. Do Dems want more than the GOP?, sure. But for you to lump all of them together is neither true nor helpful to the conversation.
You can label me as whatever you wish. I'm pro Bill of Rights. Find me a prominent Dem who is asking for legislation that doesn't include restricting the sale of some types of guns.

You want rhetoric? You need to look no further than here.

Last edited:
You can label me as whatever you wish. I'm pro Bill of Rights. Find me a prominent Dem who is asking for legislation that doesn't include restricting the sale of some types of guns.

Now you're changing your tune. The post I quoted said the Dems want to ban guns period. Now you've changed that to "some" guns. Why don't you get your story straight before posting in this thread again.

Wait.... are you for unrestricted gun rights?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT