ADVERTISEMENT

CNN: House passes Biden's $1.9 trillion Covid relief package

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
(CNN)The House of Representatives voted early Saturday morning to approve President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion pandemic aid package, a major step toward enacting the first legislative priority of the new administration as the devastating fallout from the spread of Covid-19 has left Americans in dire need of further relief.

The final vote tally was 219-212. Two Democrats broke ranks and voted against the bill: Kurt Schrader of Oregon and Jared Golden of Maine. The bill did not pass with bipartisan support as no Republicans voted for it.

Now that the bill has passed the House it will next go to the Senate.

Making the effort more complicated, the Senate is expected to strip out a provision in the legislation increasing the federal minimum wage after the Senate parliamentarian ruled against including it under the procedure known as reconciliation, which Senate Democrats are using to pass the bill with a simple majority vote. The bill would then have to go back to the House for a separate vote before it could go to Biden to be signed into law.
Click to shrink...
On the minimum wage hike:

Pelosi insisted at a press conference Friday evening ahead of the vote that the House will pass the wage increase, regardless of what happens in the Senate.
"As a matter of practice, I don't get involved in the rules of the United States Senate," Pelosi said, adding, "But as a matter of values, I can just say, we will not rest until we pass the $15 minimum wage ... If it doesn't prevail because of Senate rules we will persist. But we will not stop until we very soon pass the $15 minimum wage."
Click to shrink...

Is she talking about doing that separately if she has to? I can't tell.
I can't tell either but I assume that's what she means.

Honestly, this is one where I just don't agree with the strategy the Dems are employing. Get this stimulus bill passed and work on minimum wage later this year. In fact, if they move that $15 down to $12, I bet they could get it to pass. And if not, then that really highlights the Rs inability to compromise. Dems have got to learn how to put pressure on them and they have to do it by not giving them an out.

Yep, just do another effin bill after the stimulus passes if you want to continue with the minimum wage increase.
I agree with this in principal, but I want Dems to all out assault Republicans on legislation after the McConnell shenanigans.
If this clears the Senate Biden is crushing it. He will far surpass the 100 million doses of vaccine in 100 days promised. Economic relief that is overwhelmingly popular amongst the masses, and calm, adult leadership in the WH.
Very true. It’s been a huge sigh of relief to have a competent adult back in the driver’s seat.

• Haha
Reactions: ltows5
I can't tell either but I assume that's what she means.

Honestly, this is one where I just don't agree with the strategy the Dems are employing. Get this stimulus bill passed and work on minimum wage later this year. In fact, if they move that $15 down to $12, I bet they could get it to pass. And if not, then that really highlights the Rs inability to compromise. Dems have got to learn how to put pressure on them and they have to do it by not giving them an out.
You are aware that Romney already has a proposal for $12? I think Republicans are very willing to take a look at an overdue increase in the minimum wage, but going straight to $15 is a huge shock to the system and particularly to small businesses just getting back on their feet. They don't know just yet how robust their business will be the first several months and that's a big number to swallow right now.

Yep, just do another effin bill after the stimulus passes if you want to continue with the minimum wage increase.

The Senate will amend the bill to drop the minimum wage increase since the Senate Parliamentarian ruled it could not be included if they use reconciliation to pass the bill.

It would then go back to the House to vote on the amended bill.

You are aware that Romney already has a proposal for $12? I think Republicans are very willing to take a look at an overdue increase in the minimum wage, but going straight to $15 is a huge shock to the system and particularly to small businesses just getting back on their feet. They don't know just yet how robust their business will be the first several months and that's a big number to swallow right now.

The federal minimum wage should be about $10-11/hr right now. States can adjust as what fits best for their state.

Yep, people approve getting 1400 bucks (or more). Do you really think those percentages are accurate for the rest of the proposal?

Again, it just shows how tone deaf the GQP is.

All they had to do was approve $2000 checks before the GA runoffs and they would still have a majority in the Senate.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I am however my understanding is that its a $10 an hour proposal as linked here.

I agree that $15 is too much however it begs the question: Why didn't Rs do this during the Trump administration era?

I am however my understanding is that its a $10 an hour proposal as linked here.

I agree that $15 is too much however it begs the question: Why didn't Rs do this during the Trump administration era?
Honestly, I don't know. Good question. Did the Dems introduce it after they took the House and it was defeated?

Honestly, I don't know. Good question. Did the Dems introduce it after they took the House and it was defeated?
I don't know if they introduced a bill or not but obviously its been a "rallying cry" for the Dems for years now.

The way it is written in this stimulus bill is to get to $15/hour by 2025, IIRC.

She's a liar. She said they needed to make her speaker to take on Trump and then she would step down.
Nope. What she has said is that she plans on stepping down after this session ends.

I don’t get how this is a stimulus package. Most of those numbers read like a rescue. That state and pension money has already been spent (or lost I guess).

When do they get started on the $1 trillion infrastructure bill?

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Reactions: lucas80

Because there should not be a national minimum wage at all.

A "living wage" in NYC or San Fran is way more than necessary in most parts of the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT