ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ferentz is disrespected in coaches ratings

In 12 years as the head coach at NW, Fitzgerald hasn't won a Big Ten Title. In his first 12 years at Iowa, Ferentz won two. NW isn't harder to win at than Iowa, either.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
What bothers me about this article is that he is crying like a whiny bitch about Campbell and Frost - just like a few on this board do continuously. Sure, Ferentz has beat them both, but McCarney beat Ferentz his first three years. BUT - Ferentz was improving the program in several areas, so based on these rankings Ferentz likely would have outranked McCarney even though McCarney beat him head to head.

Everyone beat Kirk his first year - so should Glen Mason have been ranked as a better coach? But these aren’t one year looks. If you objectively look at Frost’s first year, his team improved throughout the year. They will continue to improve as he changes the culture, just like Ferentz’ teams did in the first few years.

Question is - how high can either of these coaches take their teams? Kirk rose fast, peaked, and has been up and down since. His overall career performance ranks in the mid 20s against all programs and that is where he shakes out here, so I say he is ranked fair as the longest serving head coach at the same program. The others, time will tell.

In 12 years as the head coach at NW, Fitzgerald hasn't won a Big Ten Title. In his first 12 years at Iowa, Ferentz won two. NW isn't harder to win at than Iowa, either.

Your post is so ignorant, one asks where to begin.

I decided you are a special needs type. That's okay too, keep posting. We are all family here.

Some head scratchers on there above Ferentz for sure.

Campbell? 19-19. But I guess back to back 8-5 seasons make you a top 10 coach...
Wait, Ferentz had back to back 8-5 seasons...followed by 9-4. Just enough to squeeze into the top 25

Frost? Sweet 4-8 season
Even Chip Kelly... Capped off a nice 3-9 season.

Could care less about these click bait ranking. Pretty funny really

Campbell? 19-19. But I guess back to back 8-5 seasons make you a top 10 coach...
Wait, Ferentz had back to back 8-5 seasons...followed by 9-4. Just enough to squeeze into the top 25

Frost? Sweet 4-8 season

“Click bait ratings” that’s never ever been my intentions.... I simply put this article on because I thought it was outrageous and completely a joke.. and very far fetched to have Ferentz ranked that low.

We rarely finish top 25, what are people expecting? Let's be honest, if there was a big ten championship game the last 30 years Kirk, Barnett, Walker might have zero big ten championships. We need to win the west a couple more times at least to get some more respect nationally. It's been extremely winnable

Put that on clown review or the pig pen or whatever isu is calling their site and they would be complaining that Coach Campbell isn’t rated high enough.

I agree with the article. Ferentz is being disrespected, but in my opinion he has been disrespected his entire career at Iowa. Nothing new here. The only other new shiny ball coach they missed was row your boat Fleck. WTF, how could you have missed him?
Ferentz will continue to win some lose some against these so called better coaches, but I wouldn’t trade him for any of them! We’re not a sexy program; but when you line up against us you know we’re going to punch you in the mouth and we’re going to fight you the entire game. Ask MSU how they felt after we just kept coming and coming. They didn’t want anything to do with us by the 4th quarter! That’s Iowa Football!

NW isn't harder to win at than Iowa, either.

LOL. That's ridiculous. Both schools face unique recruiting challenges: academic standards and anemic game day atmosphere at NU, and the rural, relatively non-diverse setting at Iowa. But you are delusional if you think it isn't harder to win at NU. With all of that said, I think Ferentz is a really good coach and is persistently undervalued.

Frost? Sweet 4-8 season

I still can’t figure out what the criteria was for the rankings. Is it success, is it overachieving a perception, potential or simply a popularity contest?

Hard to fully agree or disagree without knowing the criteria.

I still can’t figure out what the criteria was for the rankings. Is it success, is it overachieving a perception, potential or simply a popularity contest?

Hard to fully agree or disagree without knowing the criteria.

There is no "criteria." They just publish what they want and give whatever justification they need to that meets their agenda. These lists are simply off-season click-bait that are produced for the sole purpose of starting internet message board threads like this --- mission accomplished.

We rarely finish top 25, what are people expecting? Let's be honest, if there was a big ten championship game the last 30 years Kirk, Barnett, Walker might have zero big ten championships. We need to win the west a couple more times at least to get some more respect nationally. It's been extremely winnable
Ding ding ding.....we have a winner!

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend
It’s not a 1 season ranking, it’s a coaches ranking. Frost took a 0-12 team to 13-0 in 2 years. That’s being factored in. If Nebraska craps the bed this season that’s going to drop his ranking.

Ferentz just does what he always does goes 8-4ish. He has had 2 10+ win seasons since 2004. That’s 14 years.

10 wins or more - 2 of 14
9 wins or more - 4 of 14

Kirk had a good run from 2002-2004, but that’s about as relevant as Nebraska’s 1997 national title at this point. Unless you are trying to argue that 17 years ago is much more relevant than 22 years.

Simple click bait. Easy to throw some new and/or young coaches who may/may not have proven anything to generate posts. I think both Frost and Campbell are very good coaches. Kirk is what he is and that is good. But not gonna generate clicks. Pretty simple. And plus people will look smart this year. Nebbie has an easy schedule and the Big 12 is beyond laughable. Okie lost a ton and Texas is wait and see and the rest is a joke. ISU will be favored in all but 2 games which based upon ISU reasoning when talking Iowa means anything less than 10 wins is a horrible year.

Kind of hilarious actually that Campbell is rated that high for a couple of 8 win seasons. I think these ratings tell a story more about the program for Iowa and Iowa State rather than where these coaches actually rank. ISU is looked at by national media as a coaching graveyard. 8 wins at ISU is considered a high peak for that program which is why Campbell is viewed as an up and comer. Iowa is perceived as capable of being an upper echelon program and is somewhat playing to an historical norm at 8 or 9 wins per season.

Given the roster talent for Iowa and the recent success in recruiting, I personally think that the next few years should ramp up for Ferentz in terms of wins and prestige, and we’ll be laughing at the list.

Campbell is way up there because because ISU is historically one of the worst P5 teams ever. Back to back 8 win seasons is inflating his ranking considerably. Another 8+ win season will push him into the top 5 in many people’s minds.

On the flip side, with Iowa, winning 8+ games 5 out of the last 6 years, including a 12 win season, is given a more ho hum response because there’s been about 40 years of stability.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Campbell is way up there because because ISU is historically one of the worst P5 teams ever. Back to back 8 win seasons is inflating his ranking considerably. Another 8+ win season will push him into the top 5 in many people’s minds.

On the flip side, with Iowa, winning 8+ games 5 out of the last 6 years, including a 12 win season, is given a more ho hum response because there’s been about 40 years of stability.
Worst to first is the proper slogan. It would certainly happen faster in a conference like the B10 West, but we will just have to settle for a conference that actually sends teams to the CFP.

Worst to first is the proper slogan. It would certainly happen faster in a conference like the B10 West, but we will just have to settle for a conference that actually sends teams to the CFP.

I’m sorry, when has ISU football ever been first at anything? Has ISU football ever, in the history of the program, won an outright conference title?

Last edited:
Reactions: tenstrom2

The clowns want nothing to do with the big ten. Matty Boy is winless against the league and isu history is as pitiful as the rest of their losing tradition.

Yikes again.

Is ISU the only P5 program to never win an outright conference title in football? I think, without researching, that’s likely true.

They shared their last title with a whopping 2-1-1 record. Clown fans are well versed at telling us how that doesn’t count.

Yikes

LOL, lightningred you're such a funny little retard. What could be funnier than ISU dude bashing a division that his team is 0-4 against the past 4 seasons, and ripping on a conference that has won a CFP championship and has 9 NY6 wins, while his conference has zero CFP wins and 3 NY6 wins (0-1 vs. B1G)?

Again, thank you. Please post again.

LOL, lightningred you're such a funny little retard. What could be funnier than ISU dude bashing a division that his team is 0-4 against the past 4 seasons, and ripping on a conference that has won a CFP championship and has 9 NY6 wins, while his conference has zero CFP wins and 3 NY6 wins (0-1 vs. B1G)?

Again, thank you. Please post again.
Games in Sept just don't mean much. If the hawks could manage to win conference games then they might play meaningful bowl games. 4th place B10 West teams just don't get very good bowl games. They play teams that finish similarly, hence a Bowl game that doesn't get watched.

Games in Sept just don't mean much. If the hawks could manage to win conference games then they might play meaningful bowl games. 4th place B10 West teams just don't get very good bowl games. They play teams that finish similarly, hence a Bowl game that doesn't get watched.
Iowa state literally won one more game I’m conference.. Iowa has played in plenty of big time bowl games under Ferentz, and don’t come in here trying to act like the Alamo is a big time bowl..

ADVERTISEMENT