them to 21 percent from 3 point land and 33 %
overall.

Fran also deserves credit for recruiting Aaron
White and helping him develop into a 1st team
Big Ten member this year. Peter Jok is also
someone Fran got when other coaches backed
off due to his high school injury.

This post was edited on 3/20 9:25 PM by LuteHawk

The beauty of the defensive game plan was its simplicity. If it's a tough screen, just switch it. With Davidson's lack of size, it was unlikely that Iowa would be caught in a severe mismatch very often. And the occasional change up to zone was very effective as well.

Got choked up during the postgame with Dolph. Talking about all that Patrick wanted for his bday was a Hawkeye win, since he didn't get it last year.

I am ok with him getting partial credit. He still owes me at least one more win for the crap he pulled last year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He took over a program that Lick had destroyed, put together a coaching staff, and recruited and developed every player on the team! Yes, he deserves "some" credit!

This post was edited on 3/20 9:41 PM by ZaHawks

Iowa Hawkeyes have been blessed to have Fran
and his wife and sons in our Hawkeye family. I
hope that he stays here until he retires. At 55, he
probably will want to coach at least another 10 years.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Iowa Hawkeyes have been blessed to have Fran
and his wife and sons in our Hawkeye family. I
hope that he stays here until he retires. At 55, he
probably will want to coach at least another 10 years.
+1000000000000

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Got choked up during the postgame with Dolph. Talking about all that Patrick wanted for his bday was a Hawkeye win, since he didn't get it last year.
Dammit! Knew I should have turned on the radio of the postgame.

Any links?

I can't say enough of how enjoyable it has been to watch the Iowa program being rebuilt from the bottom up by a hard working, passionate coach.

His family is a great addition to the community and despite pointing out every possible flaw, his harshest critics have failed to pigeon hole this class act and winner into some misunderstood, stereotyped hot head.

Coach Fran McCaffery may get excited during games and/or protecting his players, but his mannerisms are typical of the Philadelphia style of coaching he learned. If folks understood that he didn't grow up being trained to be an introverted Iowan, they would get that his exaggerated antics are just par of the course.

And contrary to some views, McCaffery is a very good x's and o's coach. In a league filled with good coaches, he more than holds his own.

We are lucky have the guy running this program.

McCaffery is now 6-3 post season wins coaching at Iowa

5-2 NIT (2012, 2013)
1-1 NCAA (2014, 2015)

It was good to see the shortened rotation. Also, good coaching designing plays to get the ball to White on the block when he had it going.

Originally posted by DanL53:
I can't say enough of how enjoyable it has been to watch the Iowa program being rebuilt from the bottom up by a hard working, passionate coach.

His family is a great addition to the community and despite pointing out every possible flaw, his harshest critics have failed to pigeon hole this class act and winner into some misunderstood, stereotyped hot head.

Coach Fran McCaffery may get excited during games and/or protecting his players, but his mannerisms are typical of the Philadelphia style of coaching he learned. If folks understood that he didn't grow up being trained to be an introverted Iowan, they would get that his exaggerated antics are just par of the course.

And contrary to some views, McCaffery is a very good x's and o's coach. In a league filled with good coaches, he more than holds his own.

We are lucky have the guy running this program.
Great post Dan.....yes we certainly are. I had the fortunate opportunity to spend some time with Fran, Coach Speraw and Coach Francis in a limo ride, at dinner at at 2 separate I-Club events and the limo ride back and I can't stress enough just how friggin impressive these coaches are....Coach Bluder too. And it's validated by the progress of both our men's and women's BB progams Coach Brands was there too and wow.....damn glad to be a HAWK fan. Believe it....

This post was edited on 3/20 10:23 PM by EduNeerHawk

You don't take four different teams to the dance unless you know how to coach. Fran is a very good x and o coach, and his players develop their games. The team has just needed to step up and convince themselves how good they can be (as the N Florida Coach noted).

The team has played extremely well on the road throughout the B1G, except for Wisky, which is just damn good. Hawks can beat the Zags, but it will take another great effort on defense and some shots to go in.

In the post game presser, White and Gesell gave
kudos to Coach Fran for his game plan against
Davidson. The players believe in Fran and that
gives them more confidence to execute game
plans.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:
In the post game presser, White and Gesell gave
kudos to Coach Fran for his game plan against
Davidson. The players believe in Fran and that
gives them more confidence to execute game
plans.
Coaches likely have Gonzaga well scouted.

I suspect more zone defense and an emphasis to push the ball in transition before Gonzaga sets its defense.

I would of liked to see more of Uhl, that way opposing coaches would have to game plan for him.

Best defensive effort I've seen out of an iowa team in a long long time.

The gameplan to extend the defense out past the three point line and live with a few backdoor cuts and drives was masterful.

The players executed it perfectly. You could just see their sense of urgency to to fight over the top of screens and switch when they weren't able. It was obvious that many practice hours were spent solely on that and it won us the game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nice post, DanL53. In this PC world, passion is out of place...with a few obvious exceptions. Fran has brought Iowa basketball the respect it used to have, and he deserves all the credit for that. Now let's hope the Hawks can beat the Zags, then wipe that smirk off the anti-Fran out there at UCLA. That would pretty much bring things full circle. It's karma time.

This post was edited on 3/21 1:25 PM by CoachoftheFuture1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT