ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Niemann's big get?

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
Any word on who our really big get is (posted on Blair's Twitter feed a few minutes ago)?

Looks like he was recruited for defense. Could get big enough for DT I suppose.
A lot about Yahya Black reminds me of Mosai Newsom last year. The Hawks liked Mosai at DT ... but Mosai seemed to have his heart set on DE.

Yahya has great length ... so that could work really well at EITHER DE or OT. However, I could see him developing into a DT too. However, given Iowa's recruitment this year ... I see Bruce and Jones as a pretty strong duo at DT already. Of course, if Bruce retains his RB speed ... then he could perhaps manage to remain at DE (although I doubt it).

Reactions: madmax1191
He said he really likes Iowa because of Coach Bell. I'm assuming he was the primary recruiter.

Not necessarily. As a DL recruit he talks alot to Bell but if MN Is Polaseks territory he could be lead recruiter.
I would assume that there is truth is both comments. Polasek was the lead recruiter insofar that the Yahya was in his recruiting territory ... whereas Bell may have been a co-lead recruiter because he'd be Yahya's position coach. Part of the ability to "land" these recruits is to supply the young men with a sense of belonging. Therein lies the power and importance of interactions with the position-coach.

The writer on the K-State side had rave reviews for this kid. I'm excited.

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/news/recruiting-notebook-final-camp-in-texas

Lineman Yahya Black of Marshall High in Minnesota camped at K-State on June 2. From what I saw he was the best prospect in attendance, and that includes the five that walked away from the event with scholarship offers from the Wildcats.

It’s going to sound like hyperbole, but his body type and skill-set is reminiscent of a recruit that winds up at a blueblood program. I think he’s being that overlooked right now, and not just by recruiting services, but overall.

The writer on the K-State side had rave reviews for this kid. I'm excited.

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/news/recruiting-notebook-final-camp-in-texas

Lineman Yahya Black of Marshall High in Minnesota camped at K-State on June 2. From what I saw he was the best prospect in attendance, and that includes the five that walked away from the event with scholarship offers from the Wildcats.

It’s going to sound like hyperbole, but his body type and skill-set is reminiscent of a recruit that winds up at a blueblood program. I think he’s being that overlooked right now, and not just by recruiting services, but overall.
Derek used to cover Iowa for Scout. Always had good info.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
ADVERTISEMENT